Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No AC power from generator OR shore power to coach. Checked all AC/DC breakers, none tripped. Opened and closed all AC breakers anyway. Inverter does supply AC to the coach when inverter button pushed. I do have AC power through my surge protector which is downstream of the transfer switch. The battery charger/inverter AC 'in' light is illuminated but the charger is NOT charging the batteries. The breakers on the charger / inverter were not tripped but I also reset them anyway. The one place panel does not show Amps like it usually does on 30 amps and from a running the generator. The AC power sharing lights are illuminated on the panel. All the AC outlets, microwave etc have no power. I'm stumped, any ideas?

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
paz
Winnebago Camper

When I read your post, my first thought was the transfer switch is stuck open.

Then I read about the surge protector. Is the surge protector showing a fault code?

Even if the transfer switch or the surge protector is the culprit, that still doesn't explain why there is no AC power coming from the inverter. Is there a chance the battery disconnect switch is also off?
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is the 30 amp pop out fuse popped on the inverter/charger?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Florida Guy,

Had sort of a similar problem on my 2008 Yoyage when running generator. I was getting only half of the outlets to put out 115v. Winnie rep said to reset BOTH circuit breakers on the generator. That solved the generator problem for me. I am clueless about what what the shore power problem is

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with a Freedom 2000 inverter/charger. Based on your model and year I think you may have a Freedom 1500. It is a black box. If that is true I had the following solution. The control board inside the inverter/charger fits into an edge connector. If you look at the side of the inverter charger you will see a couple of screws about 2" from the top of the case, and the screws are about 4" apart. These screws hold the edge connector that the main board fits into. Over time the main board can come loose from the edge connector. Press firmly between the two screws and you can reseat the main board without having to take the case apart. It happened to me in Las Vegas about two years ago, and sense I pressed in and reseated the board it has been fine.

Hope this might work for you.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You might want to check for AC power at the transfer switch on the terminals for the AC line input. If it is there and not on the output of the transfer switch, then you've found your problem.

I'd check the output of the generator at the transer switch. Again, if there is voltage at the transfer switch, then you've confirmed the problem.

I have a friend with a brand new Tour that had a similar problem. Once the transfer switch was replaced, it solved the problem.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I'm leaning toward the inverter/charger being the culprit. This is my second Xantrex 1500 unit. The original went out about 18 months ago. I bought a reconditioned unit from Xantrex for about half the cost of a new one. When the original malfunctioned it did not affect AC power but it would not put out DC to charge the batteries. I really don't think it's the transfer switch due to the fact I have power through the surge protector which is downstream of the switch. I'll post what I find.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You say "all the AC outlets, microwave etc have not power"; does the air cond. work? There are many possibilities and trying to diagnose remotely will take a little time if you are willing to check certain points with not only a multimeter but under a load too. Are you able and willing to do this?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

RV Wizard,

I have put a meter to all the outlets, no power to them or the Air Conditioner. I can't put a load on anything because nothing has power.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I would lean toward a bad "main" breaker at your power panel. Since you're getting power through the surge protector, you should have power at your main panel. If you have power to the panel, the air conditioner should work. If you have no power getting into the main panel, then the inverter would not be getting AC, hence no charger, but the inverter could still produce AC from the batteries.

To me, everything points to either the actual wiring between the surge guard and the main panel breaker or the breaker itself. If you're comfortable doing so, you might check for power on each side of the main breaker. Be very careful - if you're not experienced in messing with AC, please get a technician.

Good luck,
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Florida Guy:
RV Wizard,

I have put a meter to all the outlets, no power to them or the Air Conditioner. I can't put a load on anything because nothing has power.
Have you verified power comming out of the Surge Protector? If so then the next step is checking power going into the transfer switch of the inverter. If it is going in but not comming out then that is where your problem lies. Just follow the path of the power one step at a time and you will find where it goes in one side and dosn't come out the other.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Could be the transfer relays INSIDE the INVERTER. I think thats what Neil said above as well.

This explains why it sees AC in (so you know the main transfer switch is not the culprit) and why you do get inverter output, but no AC from the shore. Though, it's odd that the AC breakers have no AC as they don't go through the inverter. You might double check that one.

Sadly, if they are shot, you will need to bypass the inverter and have the relays replaced.

When I was using this inverter, it happened twice to me. After the third set went, so did the inverter.... Overboard!

The new ProSine 2000 has been great and trouble free for 5 years.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, operator error in some information I gave earlier. I initially tryed the Air conditioner and it also appeared to be dead. This morning I went out and tryed the Air again, but this time I lowered the thermostat some and the Air Conditioner (fan and compressor) DOES work. Sorry for the bad info. and thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I again checked all the outlets and nothing. Charger is still not charging even though the AC in light is illuminated. One thing that I noticed, I'm hooked up to 30 amps at the house but the EMS light indicates 50 amps in. Prior to this the EMS light indicated 30 amps as it should.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You are aware that the plugs are all Ground Fault Interuption Plugs with the control plugs(with the test and reset button)in the Bathroom, on the wall above the sink, and in the galley, under the power panel and near the converter/inverter in the water/power bin outside on the Drivers side, aft.
These,if popped, would stop power to your plugs.

Being a simple person, I always check the simple solution before delving into the major items.

Follow the suggestions of these posters and eventually you will discover the cause of your problem.

Please. when you do find the cure, come on here and tell us all what the cause and corrective action is.
Thank You

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

One more question about the air conditioning - were you able to get both compressors to come on? The power in your main breaker panel is actually fed by 2 hot legs. Roughly half the breakers are on one leg and half on the other. One compressor is on each leg. If you can only get one compressor to start, then you probably only have power to one leg.

When hooked up to a 50A source there are 2 hot legs at the source and they carry all the way through to your main panel. When connected to a 30A source the "dog bone" adapter feeds both the hot legs from the single 30A hot leg. If you find that you only have one leg hot, you'll have to go all the way back to the dog bone and work your way forward to the main panel.

If you only have one leg hot, this may be confusing your EMS. I believe it determines amperage by whether the power on the 2 legs is in phase (30A) or out of phase (50A). Don't know what it's reaction would be to no power on one leg.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a long sad story about this, I was in a hurry to get out of town & on the road and relied too much on what others said, both WINN service & camping world. As a result had repair done on the road. Aprox $160 for new transfer switch & around $200+ for install, did not want to tacle that on the road. I now have the original transfer switch as a "spare" or maybe for sale. After replacment with a new switch, still no power into the coach. Then then the tech had a thought. Opeded up the Xantrex Freedom 20 inverter/charger. On the end facing out is a plate held on by 3 screws. Behind this there are 2 compartments. One is where all power from the transfer switch comes in, the other is where all power goes to coach. All connections were made with WIRE NUTS & most were pretty much MELTED. Just cut back the wires & made proper (for now) connections. Aparently they were not properly made @ Winn. Two wks later I was at a campground talking with another Vectra owner, Same thing happened to him. Service should have been Maybe an hour & $0.50 cents of parts but as & bought switch at Camping World (they were unable to install & refered me down the road to another service point) I ended up paying over $400. Just a lesson learned, I have been in electronics all my life, but relied on someone else. DUMB DUMB
Would not hurt anyone to check these connections, I will be reconnecting them with something better then wire nuts when I get home.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Big Bear, What would be better than wire nuts or soldering?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

If your AC is working, but most of your other electric in the coach is not, I think Buck n Jeff have it right. There is a transfer switch in the inverter which could be bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

FL Guy,

I will be in your area in about a week. If you don't have it solved, send me a PM, and I'll be glad to come over and have a look with you if you like.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I will make it a point to drive past a Holiday inn express on the way south!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

FL Guy, we need to go to the last point (Surge Guard) where you say you have power and put a load on the circuit at that point. I have run into cases where you would read voltage on a multimeter but an actual load would break down the connection or points just ahead when turned on. If the apparatus like a drill motor, hair dryer or whatever will not operate at that point even though you see voltage on a meter you have this condition that will drive you nuts if you don't look for this rare case. You may have to make a test receptacle that you can physically wire in at different points. If it does operate your load move to the next point down stream; ie, main circuit breakers.
By the way is your coach set up with two AC distribution boxes?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote