Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Winnebago thoughts

My wife and I are looking at the new Tour models, but I've seen numerous threads posted about the windshield rust problem. I'm not wanting to rehash the problem here, I'm more interested in seeing if anyone has seen this issue on the newer models (2010/11/12). The reason I ask is that I sent an email to Winnebago asking about the rust issues and what they're doing about it. They responded with the following email:

Mr. Blair,

While we understand the concern that prompted your e-mail, we hope that it is under stood, we have built coaches for decades with the glass mounted on an e-coated steel frame, bonded with urethane and have had a few reports of this condition. This condition can often be traced back to an environmental cause, for example, metal damaged when a windshield is replaced, and not properly treated prior to installation of the new glass, the metal is gouged when the area is cleaned and resealed, an undiagnosed water leak etc...

We build on average just over 5,000 class A motorhomes a year and have used this same installation method since the early 80's. In regard to your question about changes, many of the coaches with the 'one piece' windshield are actually mounted on fiberglass instead of the steel surface. This design change is being implemented to accommodate the manufacturing processes involved with the one piece glass, not any perceived issue with the condition you are asking about. The Tour and Ellipse are models that have been built to this new spec for a couple of years now.

Thank you for writing.

Tom Olson
Service Administration Lead

Winnebago Industries, Inc.

P: 800/537-1885

F: 641/585-6981

E: [email protected]

My question here is can I expect the new models to have the same rust problems as listed in the threads, or has Winnebago changed enough to prevent the issue from occuring?

Thanks in advance.
tnmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just purchased a new Journey, my second Winnebago MH, my last one being a 2008. I would not have forked out this large amount of money if I thought there was a problem.

One poster on here posted one topic over 6 months ago about rust this post now has 100 posts - the original poster posted 33 of these posts. (Think he is on a crusade?) he has only posted 35 times in his life on here (all about rust) He says he has a unit that was 6 years old when he first posted.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

First, if the one-piece windshield on the newer Winnebago Class A's is mounted to fiberglass, sounds like you would be unlikely to have problems with rust behind the windshield.

Second, I really like my Winnebago and appreciate the many advantages of owning a coach made by them (excellent parts availability, good customer service, comprehensive on-line technical info on your particular coach, etc.). However, IMO Winnebago has a significant issue with their 'E Coated' steel rusting. I visited their factory and saw the process of etching and dipping the metal so I don't understand why the coating comes off in sheets on much of the metal on their coaches. Mine has abundant rust and I have spent many hours media blasting, priming and painting metal under the coach and around all the lower storage compartments. Also, every place they welded something to the chassis frame has/had rust since it did not appear they re-coated the welded areas. I know of many others with similar rust issues on newer coaches than my 2002.

One of my windshields broke due to rust forming behind the glass. I was amazed at the amount of rust on the frame (top, sides and bottom) when they removed the glass. This was the original windshield and there was no messing with it by me so not sure how all that rust formed.

So, with all due respect to Mr. Olson, I believe they had/have a problem with rust that they have yet to effectively address.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree, I took the factory tour a few years ago, and they are proud of their metal treatment. I was not impressed at all last year as I was under the coach scraping and painting everything I could reach. Looks like I need to do some more work this year! I don't have the answers, but there has to be a better way.

Oh, by the way, I found a welded ground buss bar in the engine compartment that was not coated or painted for protection. It was badly rusted. It's a real pain to try and track down electrical issues when you have bad grounds! This was a Winnebago added item.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination. I had the rust problem while it was still under warranty, a little after a year of new ownership. The window was never replaced.

The concern is real. I don't know how you would inspect to be sure it did not have rust. If they state that there is a new process involving fiberglass, then that just may be their solution. Fiberglass does not rust.

As SMLRanger posted there are other areas of concern. My front two compartments have been the worse, but I think I caught it early enough. There was NO primer under the original paint. The paint was flaking off, and then surface rust formed. That is when I caught it. I am now noticing the same compartment rust in other compartments and I'm going to tackle that this month.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have also had the Winnebago rust problem behind and around the bay doors. My windshield was replaced before the end of warranty and there was no rust to be found. As for the area around the bay door openings the rust was terrible with about 85% of the paint peeling off in large chunks on the drivers side within the warranty period. At first Winnebago refused to take care of the rust blaming me for it. Just before the end of the warranty they agreed to fix it. Now a year out of warranty the other side is rusting & peeling and I get to fix it on my dime. Anyone that thinks there is not a rust problem with Winnebago either works for them or can't bring themselves to admit they spent the money they did for the motorhome and it's a rust bucket. This is not our first Winnebago, but it is our last. Our 2000 model rusted in the same location and I was dumb enough to think 8 years later they had the rust problem behind them. We have had a lot more issues with the present MH than either of the ours Winnebago's we owned.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I pulled the windshield trim off and found no rust except on the uncoated mounting tabs at the bottom. However, all compartments have rusted enough behind the doors, but outside of the gaskets, that i had to neutralize the rust and repaint large areas.
I saw no evidence that the metal was prepped before painting from the factory.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

It seems almost everyone has some rust issues with the older models. How about the new ones, say 2011 or 2012? According to the Winnebago rep, Mr. Olson, the newer design has a fiberglass feature in the windshield area. Anyone with a newer model seen whether or not this stops the rusting?
tnmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmblair View Post
It seems almost everyone has some rust issues with the older models. How about the new ones, say 2011 or 2012? According to the Winnebago rep, Mr. Olson, the newer design has a fiberglass feature in the windshield area. Anyone with a newer model seen whether or not this stops the rusting?
2010 Meririan V/Class

No sigh of any rust anywhere. I've inspected the entire undercarriage, under the hood, in and outside of all compartments. We live in the South and get 40 to 50" of rain a year - unit is parked outside with no cover.

Whatever the problem is we have not seen it. I saw no reason not to buy the Meridian, and I had heard about the rust issue. It is the 6th Winnebago product out of 9 Motor Homes we have owned - never had any rust problems.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you're looking at a brand-new Winnebago, I can only assume that the leaking windshield problems have been addressed. But, if you read my thread on the matter, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2003...lp-115456.html, I would have to challenge Winnebago on the 'few reported cases' and blaming it on 'This condition can often be traced back to an environmental cause, for example, metal damaged when a windshield is replaced, and not properly treated prior to installation of the new glass...' my motorhome has all the original Winnebago glass, with the OEM sticker clearly labeled.

Do a 'Google' on leaking Winnebago windshields and the threads and posts on this subject are contrary to what Winnebago stated to you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'm not so sure as to dismiss the environmental factor.

We have an 08 Tour (since new) and I have looked it over, under,etc,. and no rust.

Living in the desert, with no road salt, may be the reason. And it has only been back to the dealer for a screen door adjustment. Perhaps sheer dumb luck is on my side ?

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We had our windshield replaced and they said there was quite a bit of rust but they acid cleaned and used some some small jar of special paint to fix it and I should have no more problem in my life time. I wished I could have seen it and taken pictures. Anyway we saw a small scratch in the glass in my wife's area of view so we requested another place to replace it. It was replaced and I watched the whole process and it looked excellent, at least to me, inside the entire window area. The black frame looked great. The new windshield is also great.
There was an older Country Coach 45' tag there having leaking water and air around the windshield which was in fiberglass. The hole was cut bigger than it should have been and was not easy to do. They did the best they could do gluing it back in but were not proud of the job. To do it right it would have to be fiberglassed over and recut to get the correct fit. Two weeks and a lot of money. The owner decided it had been so long that way that just glue it back in the best they could do and leave it. Something for the next guy I guess.
I don't see any problem with either way Winnebago does it if done correctly. I would buy another Winnebago.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My 2012 journey has a windshield leak.
Still working with dealer to fix it, on my 2nd time back in.
Take a garden hose and check both clearance lights and top side of the trim pieces on the sides. Mine leaks when water hits the top of the side trim.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

tnmblair: my 2004 has not experienced any rust problems (happy to report), yet most of my epoxy-to-fiberglass body attachments have failed and I check them before every trip. A member reported having trouble with his 2011 epoxy failing. Go figure and buy with eyes open to any possibility, mostly good times for us.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We own a 95 winnebago "Vectra", and not a bit of rust anywhere. Would NEVER have bought it. Living in Florida, and rust do NOT COMPUTE! Sandy of Sandy n John
Mysticcherok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Our 2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD is our second new Winnebago. After almost 5 years of fulltime living in this and a 2008 Tour 40TD, I can report no rust in either coach. I have also talked with many Winnebago owners at rallies, rv parks and the like, and have yet to meet one who was upset about rust (or most anything else). In fact, the many Winnebago owners I have spoken with seem very pleased with their coaches -- as I am.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I just traded in a 2005 Itasca Sunova 29R that I bought new in 2005. There was a fair amount of rust in and around the Generator bay and one of the storage bays had rust so bad around the seals that the seal began to break loose. Granted, this is a low end rig but the rust was one thing that prompted me to trade it in on a new rig.
Sofakleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Our 04 has no body rust but the driver windshield was replaced in 07 and was badly rusted. Had to be cleaned and treated. Pass side is leaking as of today and it is probably rusted. If the new windshields are mounted differently they are probably fine.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I haven't seen any rust on my 2011 Vista35F, but then again I haven't looked at it in the last 6 mos. I do want to say this though: We have owned 6 MH and 4 of them were Winnebagos. The build quality of this Vista is worse than any of our previous MH and I will never own another Winnebago product. A friend has a 2011 Journey and he has the same problems that I have so I guess that the price paid has no bearing on the product quality or the lack thereof.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJ View Post
I haven't seen any rust on my 2011 Vista35F, but then again I haven't looked at it in the last 6 mos. I do want to say this though: We have owned 6 MH and 4 of them were Winnebagos. The build quality of this Vista is worse than any of our previous MH and I will never own another Winnebago product. A friend has a 2011 Journey and he has the same problems that I have so I guess that the price paid has no bearing on the product quality or the lack thereof.
What problems on the 2011 Journey, I own a 2012 Journey and no problems to speak of - I am touch with 3 other owners of 2012 Journeys and they are happy too
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago