Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Okay folks, I've been away a few days and when I get home a new recall from Winnebago is sitting here. This should pour a ton of fuel on the XRV tire fires.

Campiagn # 94.

Certain 2005 Winnebago and Itasca motor homes built on 24,000 lbs Workhorse chassis. specificlly the Adventurer G38R & G38J and Suncruiser G38R and G38J manufactured between November 24,2003 and December 28, 2004 and equipped with 235/80R22.5G XRV tires.

The recall identifies Vehicle Certification Labels with INCORRECT TIRE PRESSURES.

The incorrect labels read 90 front / 85 rear.

THE CORRECT PRESSURE ARE TO READ 105 FRONT / 95 REAR.

They sent me two labels to paste over the ones on the door and in the owners bag. And some nice clear tape to past over the new labels. Figured You'all need to know. I have less than 5000 miles on my XRV's. I was willing to "wait and see" but now I'm out and out worried about the condition of my "UNDERINFLATEDS" in accordance with manufacturers reccomendations.
After all these posting about these XRV's, a letter to Winnebago now seems prudent. We'll let you know what happens

Ol'Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Okay folks, I've been away a few days and when I get home a new recall from Winnebago is sitting here. This should pour a ton of fuel on the XRV tire fires.

Campiagn # 94.

Certain 2005 Winnebago and Itasca motor homes built on 24,000 lbs Workhorse chassis. specificlly the Adventurer G38R & G38J and Suncruiser G38R and G38J manufactured between November 24,2003 and December 28, 2004 and equipped with 235/80R22.5G XRV tires.

The recall identifies Vehicle Certification Labels with INCORRECT TIRE PRESSURES.

The incorrect labels read 90 front / 85 rear.

THE CORRECT PRESSURE ARE TO READ 105 FRONT / 95 REAR.

They sent me two labels to paste over the ones on the door and in the owners bag. And some nice clear tape to past over the new labels. Figured You'all need to know. I have less than 5000 miles on my XRV's. I was willing to "wait and see" but now I'm out and out worried about the condition of my "UNDERINFLATEDS" in accordance with manufacturers reccomendations.
After all these posting about these XRV's, a letter to Winnebago now seems prudent. We'll let you know what happens

Ol'Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ol'Joe:
After all these posting about these XRVs, a letter to Winnebago now seems prudent. We'll let you know what happens... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ol'Joe, I just wanted post that the pressures that you were given in the recall are the correct pressures for the W24. The GAWF on the W24 is 9000 pounds and the GAWR is 15,500 pounds.

The pressures that you were given in the recall notice match those weights almost exactly. The front axle pressures at 105 psi give you 4505 per tire or 9010 per front axle single tire.

The pressures that you were given for the rear axle of 95 psi will give you 7840 per dual setup and 15680 pounds for the axle.

Those pressures and axle weights are where you need to be. No need to write your letter to Winnebago. Go with the sticker.

You know your motorhome's actual weights may not call for that much air pressure but if the manufacturer issued the recall I with go with their recommendations.

If you ran a 100 front and a 90 rear to support your actual weights you would no doubt enjoy a more comfortable ride.

Load your motorhome up like you're going out with full fuel, LP, some water and your gear and see what it really weighs and let us know what your scale ticket has recorded.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just returned from the Florida Keys and received the same notification.Thanks to this forum I knew the tags were wrong and went to the Michelin site to get the correct ones. I really don't feel safe having my tires at the max but for now I really don't have a choice.
I wonder how many tires have blown on people that didn't relise there was a problem?

1 Wife/Navigator
Lesstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

DriVer,

Have you heard if/when owners of other models will get a similar notice? If there isn't one coming, why not?

I have an 05 W24 37B manufactured in 8/04 with the same tires and GAWR. My sticker reads 95F and 90R. Looks like I should go with the new numbers Ol'Joe received.

Thanks for any info.
Bob
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lesstech:
I really don't feel safe having my tires at the max but for now I really don't have a choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lesstech, The minimum inflation pressure for the maximum load is 110 psi. If you're runnin' 105 psi front, that's cool!

Getting the concept down in our minds about minimum inflation pressure for the indicated or maximum load will take a slight learning curve but I'm on-board at this point.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
I have an 05 W24 37B manufactured in 8/04 with the same tires and GAWR. My sticker reads 95F and 90R. Looks like I should go with the new numbers Ol'Joe received. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob, Perhaps your paperwork didn't catch up with you yet but using the references and resources here I would say that if you went with the current recall guidelines you would be one step ahead of the recall notice.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Driver
Rereading the Michelin guide I relise that what your saying is that the tire markings are minimum not max. Makes me feel a lot better.Thanks.
I have been running Michelin on my other vehicles for years with no problem but was beginning to be concened with what I have been reading on the forums.

1 Wife/Navigator
Lesstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

So... if the MIN inflation pressure is 110 and you have been running with a full load at 95-100psi on the front tires.... have you been damaging the sidewalls of the tires?

We were told to run at 95 front and 90 rear when we bought the MH and put about 1,000 miles on them at that psi. And I suppose that was the psi during the 9 months it sat on the dealers lot prior to our purchase -- and they drove it from the Tucson lot to their San Diego lot, probably at that psi.

Then last summer we learned on this forum to run at 105-110 front and 95-100 rear, which we have done. The tires now have about 4,000 miles on them.. most of which were at a lower psi than now recommended. This summer we will be putting another 3,000 on them at the new recommendations. We have had them less than 2yrs, but they have been on the MH for almost 3yrs.

Have our tires been weakened because of the lower psi during the initial 2,500 miles? And, what about when it was parked/stored? Does that damage the tires if you don't keep the psi at 105-110?

This has been a major concern of mine since the day we bought our MH.

We have a W22
8,500 front rating
15,000 rear rating
833 CCC

Last time weighed we had:
7,800 lbs front
14,150 lbs rear
TOTAL 21,950 lbs.

We have minimized the weight as much as we can, and never run with full water tanks. I've even unloaded the margarita glasses!

Michelin says:
4675 lbs max per single tire 110 psi
4410 lbs max per dual tire 110 psi

Although very heavy, our numbers are within the ranges recommended.

Indulge me by confirming -- one more time -- what psi should we put in our tires???

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks for posting this.

I have a 2 month old Suncruiser 38R on the W24 chassis. We picked it up in Buffalo and drove 1300 miles to FL. The dealer told me they had aired the tires up for the PDI to the max pressure. Fine with me but a little rough riding on the front end driving to FL. I was going to drop the pressure to 5 over what my placard stated for the return trip home this weekend. I weight ~22k. I would have been under inflated if I had. My recall must be home in my mail. I have a 12/04 build date.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sunflyer Judy:
Indulge me by confirming -- one more time -- what psi should we put in our tires??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>SunFlyer Judy, I am going to recommend that you run 95 psi front and 90 psi rear. (The same pressures I'm running)

And That's my final answer!

I can't speak to earlier inflation issues that you may have been subject to but if you at least keep those inflation pressures that I suggested you should be fine and dandy without too harsh of a ride.

Regarding minimum inflation pressures IF the tires were inflated to 110 psi in all positions, your tires would have supported 9350 pounds on the front axle and 17640 pounds on the rear axle. As you can see you do not need to support these types of loads. The minimum air pressures for your loads is reduced to supporting 8320 pounds on the front axle and 15020 on the rear axle using the pressures I suggested above.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Driver!

I was finally relaxing about the tire pressure.. then the recall came out and I got worried again.

Your reassurance is appreciated.

Our homes on the road
Old 04-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I thought the recall, ie:new weight and tire pressure placard was for the W24 only.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the recall is just for the W24. However, we have a W22 that has very little CCC, so we are running right at our weight limits. Getting the correct tire pressure for our weight has been a big concern for us, also.

Our homes on the road