Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just discovered the new Vectra (and assume other models) have gone to a rear radiator. Is this done for basic cost purposes or other factors?
In the past the side radiator was preferred for the heavier higher horsepower units. Now, howerver the new Vectra has the larger 425 HP Cummins. What's up?
I'll be at the Pomona FMCA this month and ask this question as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just discovered the new Vectra (and assume other models) have gone to a rear radiator. Is this done for basic cost purposes or other factors?
In the past the side radiator was preferred for the heavier higher horsepower units. Now, howerver the new Vectra has the larger 425 HP Cummins. What's up?
I'll be at the Pomona FMCA this month and ask this question as well.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not sure why they are doing this, but you might want to change the subject of your post to

'New Vectra with rear radiator. Why?'

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks boulderado...Brain is collecting feathers again.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi Cliff,

We kicked this around a few months ago. The only rational I can come up with is that Winnie saved quite a few bucks with the change.

Some might debate there are actually advantages of the change, but very, very few people would buy into that argument.

Winnie claimed some HP savings (i.e., more fuel efficient), due to the fan design, but I seriously doubt if this will be validated with real world experience.

I suspect the HP going to 425 from 400 is a marketing thing. What gets you up the hill is torque and I believe the torque is unchanged at 1200 ft. pounds. In fact the Allison tranny is only rated for 1200 pounds.

(We're headed your way in June!)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Guess I was out of touch during the previous discussion, I'll attempt to find it.
Let me know about your June visit, hopefully we can hook up somewhere.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone considered that Winnebago would have to find a new place for the dash air radiator unit which is in the spot you would find a side radiator? I have no idea how difficult that type of a design would be, or not.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Navy Flier,,,my rig has the dash air exchanger,,turbo cooler and radiator all in that spot....two fans on outside to cool the air exchanger and one large one to cool the other two items.

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Probably has more to do with design limitations of the new chassis and engine options from Freightliner. Lowered rail chassis, clean air diesel, extra towing capacity, new intake and turbo plumbing etc.

Freightliners FAQ on the subject states, "On some of our larger models, a side-facing radiator is available." so it may not be offered on the Maxxum. It also mentions tradeoffs that limit storage with the side radiators.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Probably has more to do with design limitations of the new chassis and engine options from Freightliner. Lowered rail chassis, clean air diesel, extra towing capacity, new intake and turbo plumbing etc.

Freightliners FAQ on the subject states, "On some of our larger models, a side-facing radiator is available." so it may not be offered on the Maxxum. It also mentions tradeoffs that limit storage with the side radiators. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes - that's certainly an excellent possibility, but in any case (all things being equal) a rear radiator will be less expensive to manufacture than a side radiator.

It does take up basement space for sure like a tag axle.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote