Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to Winnebago 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y

I just switched from 2018 32' Thor brand Class C to a 2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y with 340HP Cummins. What a difference. Great upgrade for me but as it is 10 years old, I have some things to fix. I have already been able to take advantage of some great information on this site. One of the first things I had to do was "re-glue" the fiberglass rear engine grille to it's steel substructure. It seems it's not an uncommon repair and there were plenty of threads and posts on the subject going back to at least 2012. I decided to use 3M 5200 fast cure adhesive. I cleaned and sanded the fiberglass contact area and sanded the paint off the steel contact area and used wood working clamps to hold it tight and keep things aligned. I remounted to the motorhome and it works perfect so far. Unlike the original adhesive, the 5200 expanded a lot after being squished through the slots in the steel frame. If the adhesive bonds well to the fiberglass I don't see how it can come loose from the steel bracket. But if it does fail, I will probably install stainless hurricane bolts with a rubber washer to protect the fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	180480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	180481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	180482  
Attached Images

bluecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had moved from a Thor to Winnebago at one point and what did it for me was the info the two made available. I called Thor to ask where the other end of a coax might be found and got one of those really dumb answers that totally turned me off! No drawings to show where the coax went as it was all just "generic" so they didn't keep drawings!

So have you yet run across the vast amount to info Winn does post online?
Don't skip over my favorite section called "PARTS catalog as it is an interactive setup where you can choose a system like drains and then go to the drawings and turn it over, zoom or all kinds of things to actually see where things are set in the RV:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Takes a small download and some fiddle time to get used to it but there is a lot of value when you need to know things like where the grey water goes or how it gets vented!

Plumbing here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Wiring here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Good luck on the new RV!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks fort the info, Richard. I was impressed with how much good documentation Winn provides. Your input adds even more.
bluecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good work.

I've seen bolts like those but I've never heard the term "Hurricane Bolts", probably because I live in California. I can see how useful they might be.

Welcome to Winnieowners. You might want to go to the User CP button in the toolbar and set up a signature block like Richard's and mine so the year and model of your MH is always visible when you post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My RV is just like yours, but slightly longer. Yes, I had to re-glue both front brackets and rear grill section. I used JB Weld, and a super construction adhesive. Similar prep as you, and the repairs have been holding 7 and 9 years, so far, so good.

I like the design, and it has held up for 11 years of full time living. I liked the 34Y design but needed a bit more room. I have needed to replace the slide toppers, did it myself. The main awning ripped in a windstorm a year ago, replaced with a better one. Replaced the Norcold refer cooling unit with a JC Refrigeration electric compressor cooling unit two years ago (best move ever), AC blower fan motor replaced a year ago, various other little repairs along the way.

The 340 engine has gotten us all over the country, plus towing a jeep. Just do normal maintenance, and it works well. Not that there haven't been a few things along the way. An alternator 4 years ago, a fan clutch 3 years ago, a radiator hose 1 year ago, a drive belt and a turbo actuator this summer. None were big show stoppers, just fix and keep on truckin.

Tags
winnebago, itasca