Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies to the previous thread. This seems to be a popular topic so I started another thread with more specifics on my question. I still need some advice.

First, I agree that the OEM mud flap gets damaged when backing up. That is how I damaged mine twice. It also gets damaged when leveling if the front is raised and the mud flap is caught under the coach. I think having a rear mud flap is a good idea (sorry John, I can't agree with you this time). I also think the UltraGuard flap is more flexible and less likely to get damaged.

Now, here is my dilemma. To install the UltraGuard, you attach an angle iron to the top edge. My current mud flap has a cut-out for the exhaust. How can I attach an angle iron and accomodate the cut-out for the exhaust? See my photo below. Note this photo is the good side of my mud flap. The driver's side is a mess.

2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replies to the previous thread. This seems to be a popular topic so I started another thread with more specifics on my question. I still need some advice.

First, I agree that the OEM mud flap gets damaged when backing up. That is how I damaged mine twice. It also gets damaged when leveling if the front is raised and the mud flap is caught under the coach. I think having a rear mud flap is a good idea (sorry John, I can't agree with you this time). I also think the UltraGuard flap is more flexible and less likely to get damaged.

Now, here is my dilemma. To install the UltraGuard, you attach an angle iron to the top edge. My current mud flap has a cut-out for the exhaust. How can I attach an angle iron and accomodate the cut-out for the exhaust? See my photo below. Note this photo is the good side of my mud flap. The driver's side is a mess.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My Ultraguard is attached via angle iron at the very rear of the rig. Never had a problem.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine is also mounted to angle iron and is bolted to the hitch bolts on each side. If it ever gets damaged I can unbolt it and repair or replace.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The UltraGuard (?) on my '04 Meridian has traveled over 47,000 miles without a problem. That being said, I do pay attention to it's placement when backing and before leveling. I fabricated a hook to grab it and stow it before dumping air and leveling, but seldom if ever use it.

Was told by a Winnebago engineer type that its position designed to deflect rocks/road debris kicked up by the rear tires, thus protecting the radiator. Made sense to me.

Maybe I'm just lucky?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is my question again. Does anyone have any idea for how I might configure a metal support bracket for the UltraGuard mud flap that will allow a cut-out for the exhaust?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi LK,
I'm not sure if this helps but I installed an Ultraguard on my '05 Adventurer shortly after I bought it. For rigidity, I sandwiched the top of the guard between two pieces of 1 1/2" aluminum strapping I got at Lowe's with several small bolts. I then drilled two holes on the brackets of my reciever and two matching holes on the guard and hung it from the receiver using 4 1/4" or 3/8" stainless steel shackles two interconnected on each side. The arrangement keeps it about 4" off the ground when traveling. I haven't had any problem since. It does the job and swings nicely when ever it encounters an object. I don't know if that would give you the clearance you need for that exhaust but I hope this helps.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here is my question again. Does anyone have any idea for how I might configure a metal support bracket for the UltraGuard mud flap that will allow a cut-out for the exhaust? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts on this would be to use the top piece of the existing flap and attach the Ultra guard to this. I damaged mine as well and when I removed it to straighten it out I noticed that there seems to be metal sandwiched between the rubber. It may provide enough support to attach the Ultra Guard to. You would need to cut the existing flap down to where you have a straight edge. You can then attach the new flap along that straight edge. Just a thought as to how I might attempt it. I attached a chain to the Horizon flap and pulll it up if I think it is going to be put in a position to get damaged. Haven't had a problem since.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Harry B

Good idea but I cannot use the top piece of my OEM mud flap. It has a pretty good bend on the drivers side and I have already attempted to straighten it.

My thought was to have a piece of angle iron run along the top edge and weld a U shape in the area for the exhaust cut-out. I have no welding experience so I don't know it this can be done and whether it would be strong enough to hold the UltraGuard mud flap.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Our Ultra Guard is mounted with an angle iron BUT the angle iron is not at the top edge of the guard. It's about 4" below the top of the rubber. The angle is an inch below the trailer hitch. The rubber is cut even with the top of the angle under the hitch. Outside the hitch itn extends upward to within an inch of the body. There is a second half round cutout on the left side to clear the exhaust pipe for the generator.

When stopped the lower edge of the guard is slightly ahead of the upper edge. When the coach is in motion the guard hangs almost perfectly vertical.

It's been in place for about 60,000 miles, has never been damaged backing up, and has never interfered with the hitch or generator exhaust pipe.