Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Roof

I thought $10,000. for a 1998 Spirit was a good deal. It has under 70,000 miles and brand new tires and everything works! Unfortunately, roof is leaking and estimates are $8-10,000. The question now is do I get a new roof or just sell it for what I can get? Thanks for any input.
4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

fiberglass or rubber? front or rear cap, a/c or shower bubble? 8000 is a lot when a gallon of cool roof and a roll of eternabond will do.
Chris
cdhorak60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Roof

The roof is fiberglass. There is a patch from former satellite. Also 2 vents and AC unit. Cab over support is rotted away from driver's side. What will stick to fiberglass? Thanks for any help I can get.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

4girls,

Pictures would help but check out YouTube for plenty of repair videos on roofs on RV's.

Home Depot has a elastomeric coating that can be put on. Here is the link. It's brand name Is Henry's. Some say that it keeps the rig cooler as it repels most UV rays and can also sound proof the rig a bit. I talked with a guy who uses this out in Arizona for shed roofs, trailer roofs, and RV roofs. He has had good results. As with any project, the prep has to be right or it will not come out good.

https://jet.com/product/475Gl-White-Roof-Coat

The cab over support will be an issue as that will need fixing. Watch the videos and see if it is something you can handle but be aware that sometimes when you open something up it becomes a bigger issue. If the supports are rotted away probably the wall is too.

Only you will know if this is something you can handle. Roof leaks can really ruin an RV. There are a lot of Videos on YouTube that will help you to decide if this is something you want to tackle.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Voice of experience here. I once rebuilt a cab over front and sides because of a roof leak. If you are a real handy man you can get it done. That said it's not easy and if done outside like I did it you may have a few sleepless nights praying that it doesn't rain. My leak damage had to do with leaky seams and not a whole in the roof and for that reason I think I would opt out of this repair because I think it could get out of hand quickly. I'd sell it for what I could.
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

OK, so here I sit 2 years later still the proud owner of this vintage Spirit. I have had several lovely short trips and she is running great. I did have a repair to the roof which stopped big leaks, or so I thought. Because I am unable to travel now I started checking seams and before I new it I had demolished most of the over cab as it was mostly delaminated and wet. I will be trying to repair/rebuild by watching youtube videos but would love to hear from anyone with tips on construction materials, supplies and techniques.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4girls View Post
The roof is fiberglass. There is a patch from former satellite. Also 2 vents and AC unit. Cab over support is rotted away from driver's side. What will stick to fiberglass? Thanks for any help I can get.
There is MUCH you can do....for instance, you can get rolls of fiberglass, that can be laid out over any gaps or rot...and with the epoxy and hardener, you can build up the layers, to become very strong and permanent. Fiberglass boat owners, whose hulls have been damaged, by an impact, also use these rolls to repair a hull face that SITS in water...and becomes 100 percent water-proof.

Fiberglass is a very easy material to repair...so I would look into specific areas that need doing to keep the rain out. You can go to any Home Depot to find fiberglass repair kits, or for larger areas...the actual rolls/strips. You then need to also buy the epoxy and hardener which you either traipse the fiberglass piece through....or place it on a scrubbed and grease free roof surface and then ROLLER the epoxy and hardener emollient onto the strip to harden it, rock solid. That is the way you keep building up the thickness of the repair as required. Auto Parts suppliers also usually have fiberglass repair materials, or jobbers who supply local Body Shops in your area. Trust me...you'll find what you will need... Also...it can't hurt to take your R.V. to a BOAT DEALER (that sells SAIL BOATS!)...and see what their repair technicians could do for you, or quote you a price. They work all the time with fiberglass...on $1,000,000.00 Yachts....so would do a great job to restore the rotted area on your roof and restore to like-new. If they can repair a hull to SIT in water...they easily could repair your R.V. roof to REPEL water..LOL! Good luck.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Please take pictures of the leaking area. That will enable us to to give you specific advice.

If your roof does NOT have structural integrity problems, then you will most likely not have a big problem repairing your roof. So don't lose sleep over this.

The only reason you may be super concerned is that you don't know what to do. However, I assure you, a lot of people have to deal with water leaks at some point, and if you deal with this repair ASAP you will not have a problem.

If the inside of your roof show no signs of water damage you will also most likely not have a big problem repairing your roof. So you have any water stains?

There are all types of body shops and believe it or not they all do 90% of the work the same way. It's the extra 10% that runs your bill up. So you need to shop around.

Also, if you know where the leak is coming from and you can see the crack, then maybe you just order some EternaBond Tape on Amazon and you can fix your roof yourself for only $28 (4" x 20' Roll).

Note: You also need a quality pressure roller, because this stuff is pressure activated and then it will last almost forever.

First you need to know where your leaks are coming from.

...And sometimes if it's coming from a seam, you might just need to need to re-caulk?

However, I fear that you roof has structural integrity problems to justify the $8K price estimate.

Eternabond on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-WH...9091840&sr=8-4

If you do have roof structural integrity problems, then that is not something you want to tackle without prior experience. It's not rocket science, but it can be labor intensive.

Should ever decide to travel to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, Mexico (1.5 hours south of the AZ-Mexico) border at Lukeville, AZ, I can highly recommend a a crew that will do your whole roof for $3,000 or less!!! I just returned from a trip in June-2020 and they saved me $4,000 off other body shop "discounted" rates; and the paint job was fantastic!

In fact, I'm planning to return to Rocky Point in October to have them do some roof maintenance to my 40' RV-DP.

Also, I have a beautiful RV and I insist on top quality work! You can read more about my travels and vacation and RV body work performed in Rocky Point here:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ew-358003.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200702_124413.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	174864   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_104356.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	174865  

Click image for larger version