Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New owner question=power

My 2000 Journey is set up for a thirty amp power source. When I picked up the mh the technician told me I should leave the inverter switch on the off position? (The one next to the front tv and in the video control panel.) I'm not sure if the the inverter works off the solar panels on top or helps charge the batteries while plugged in? Also If I plug into my house power, using and adapter to get from my 30 amp plug to plug into a household 110v outlet, will it help keep the batteries charged?
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

zagguy: Follow this thread about the Trik-L-Start for the answer to your question. My 2004 did not come with one but I added it to keep the batteries up. Good luck
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/2006...ger-62665.html
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagguy View Post
My 2000 Journey is set up for a thirty amp power source. When I picked up the mh the technician told me I should leave the inverter switch on the off position? (The one next to the front tv and in the video control panel.) I'm not sure if the the inverter works off the solar panels on top or helps charge the batteries while plugged in? Also If I plug into my house power, using and adapter to get from my 30 amp plug to plug into a household 110v outlet, will it help keep the batteries charged?
I agree with your tech. If you are not using your inverter to power the TV, etc., I would keep it shut off. If you keep your coach plugged into shore power, the charging system will keep your 'house' batteries charged. The little solar panel on most Journeys is also there to help keep the house batteries charged but I am not sure how well they do that.

Depending on the type of charging system you have on your coach (three stage vs. a standard 12 volt 'converter/charger,'), suggest you watch your house batteries closely. A true three stage charger that will maintain the batteries with a float charge will generally not overcharge or cook the batteries.

As already noted, the early model Journeys are not set up to keep the chassis batteries charged when connected to shore power (unless something has been added). The Trik-L-Start works well as does the less expensive Battery Minder.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

[QUOTE=smlranger;600759]I agree with your tech. If you are not using your inverter to power the TV, etc., I would keep it shut off.

Gary is spot on. Remember that an inverter converts 12V to 110V for purposes of when dry camping (no shore power or not running generator) to run select appliances, such as your TV.

If you keep it on otherwise, and are not utilizing this function, it will run your batteries down REAL FAST, like overnight if not hooked up to shore power.

If you are hooked to shore power or generator power, it does nothing for you, as you already have 110V AC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are basically two different inverter systems (Actually many different, but for this discussion just two)

The inverter in my "house" is a "pass-through" type, INverter and charger/converter in one.

If I have shore power, as I do just now.... The inverter charges (if needed) the battery, supplies 13.6 to the circuits hooked to its batteries, and sits there in "Standby" mode.

Should shore power fail.. the inverter kicks in so fast the TV does not even blink. (And being a True Sine Wave, the TV does not even know it switched over, TSW, MSW.. That's another way to divide inverters, but since yours is already installed I'll skip that discussion for now)

The other type of inverter is the "Stand Alone" In this case the inverter does NOT have a 120vac input, only a 120vac out, and it can not charge the batteries, only discharge them.

Power is then sent either to a special outlet, or to an automatic transfer switch.

If you have a pass through,, LIke I do, leave it ON, since the presence of clean shore power will put it in standby automatically

If you have a stand alone.. Turn it off less needed.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I hope you realize that the power to your coach will be limited to only small use of power when plugged into 20 amp. Also some GFI outlets do not like inverters and will trip when they are turnded on.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Wow! All this stuff is really confusing this newb! So here's a question for u guys! I am buying a tv for our 95 national sea breeze. Can I just buy a reg 110 tv from walmart or do I have to have a 12 volt tv? I do have an inverter if that helps
Old 06-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Breeder,

I am sure you have a 110 tv
Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
Breeder,

I am sure you have a 110 tv
hi ed..actually, its never had a tv, but im puttin in a 32inch flatscreen on the wall by the dinette area and puttin the kids ps3 there also...there is an outlet right there so its a perfect spot..!! i just seen somewhere on here about 12v tv's and it got me worried a lil......
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I think they used to use a lot more 12 volt TV's before the price of inverters came down. You have your 120 volt system and that should power your TV but I'd suggest you disconnect shore power, turn off the generator, then turn on the inverter. Then plug something such as a lamp into that plug to be sure it has power you can use if/when you do not have shore or generator power.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Where as I'd need a bit more info about said inverter to be sure. I will say this

If it has a SINGLE switch, on/off, nothing more.. I would leave it off unless it is needed

IF, like mine, it has both an INVERTER and a CHARGER switch... that is different.