Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New MW-22R - Cosmetic Wood Trim Damage

I just bought a new Minnie Winnie 22R about one month ago. It's still under warranty, and has a few small issues that I'm trying to get the dealer to fix. That said, it's a 250 mile drive to this dealership. One of these issues is something they seem to be struggling with. They're talking to Winnebago, but there's been no progress. I'm tempted to just figure out a DIY solution and and not sweat it out, as it is a very minor problem. That said, the dealer keeps telling me about their Platinum Winnebago dealership, and want to know if there's anything that would keep me from giving them 5 stars on the upcoming survey. Okay, I do want to be a good sport on that one, but I get the feeling they wish these problems would just go away. This is my first RV, so I'm learning lots about RV dealerships in general.

The issue is with some cosmetic damage to a portion of trim underneath the refrigerator. The wood grain veneer had a couple small cracks exposing the particle board underneath. I failed to see it on the final inspection, but after driving it home, my wife's keen eye discovered it, and now it's a thing...

I've posted some pictures below, to show what I'm talking about. The dealer has contacted Winnebago, and they're trying to obtain those wood trim pieces from the factory. They said I would need to bring it back to them, and they'd have to remove the refrigerator, take out the panel and the damaged wood trim pieces, and replace them. Probably an all day job while I wait. Hmm, sounds wonderful. What could go wrong??

Many of the materials on the 2020 22R are quite cheap IMHO. For example they used wallpaper wood grain "tape" where the walls meet, and other goodies. It's pretty nice to look at, but there's likely going to be issues like this refrigerator trim thing over the years of ownership. I will say that the sink counter is actually Corian, so not too bad there.

So what are some ideas? I've thought about getting some brown model paint to touch it up, and then coating with epoxy or something to keep it from falling apart even more. That would cost little, and save a whole day of my life in a waiting room. I'm open to some suggestions.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	174108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	174109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	174110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	174111  

Old 06-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Harvester,
I would proceed with your plan to fix it yourself, but might I suggest this method instead:
1.) Buy JB Weld KwikWood, and fill-in the crack before painting.
2.) Paint-over the repair.
I agree that the time spent with travel and major work isn't worth it. My dad always told me to not try to make things too perfect, or you will drive yourself nuts. Please let us know how it goes.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I will check out the KwikWood, which I've passed by at Home Depot a number of times. On Amazon, there are some assorted wood color touch-up pen kits that people often buy with this product.

We may be onto something here...