Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

NEW Issue crops up, Roof Repair

2010 Winnebago Journey 40L. Prepping for sale and had sold until the buyer looked at the roof. Found bubbles in the roof and balked. I've looked at other posts here and some recommend Manus 75 AM as a adhesive and Nuco 311 self leveling compound for sealant. These products are not available here. Ordering them puts the repair for us to do in our time frame. We only have this weekend May 12th and 13th to do this repair. From what I'm seeing Dicor is not usable over silicone compound. This is what they are using locally.

Our plan is to remove and replace all self leveling compound as a preventative measure against future bubbles. Then use a small syringe to apply adhesive under the small bubbles let it flash and roll it out. On the big ripple at the front of the cap we plan to clean up the old sealant and pull back the rubber. Then clean the underlayment (if not rotted) after adhesive is applied lay out self leveling compound over the seam between the cap and the rubber.

1. What other silicone based adhesive and self leveling compounds would you recommend?

2. Given the pictures provided, is this plan viable?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long view copy.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	185953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small bubbles copy.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	185954  

Name:	long ripple copy.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	185955  
DangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

First, sorry for the problems.

But, your issue is not solved by removing the factory sealant in any way. If you think you can remove the silicone and then replace it with Dicor the hard truth is the silicone is left behind when you remove the caulking. There is no way to get rid of it. You must just use silicone over silicone.

311 is something you can order on Amazon. And outdoor “roof and gutter” silicone caulking from a big box store, available everywhere, will also work. Problem is, it’s not self leveling. Just order Heng's 95502 White NuFlex #311 Sealant. Camping World has it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-95502-W.../dp/B003YJNO98

But from what you show I doubt any of that can help that issue at the rear cap. And from your research here you probably know the biggest problem is the side drip rail channel that secures the Filon roof material. And your photos don’t show us any of what going on there.

Winnebago will tell you the odd roof bubbles are not a problem. But that problem at the rear cap is going to taken a major repair to set straight. Because it’s very likely the Luan wood structure under there has bad water damage.

Neither Manus nor 311 is used under the Filon, there is a spay contact adhesive used to glue the Filon to the Luan underlayment. Manus and 311 is used around all the roof penetrations as flashing.

Spend a few hours watching AZ EXPERT on YouTube. He will educate you about Winnebago roof construction and how to deal with issues.

I’m no expert, and it’s just my opinion, but this is not a two day job for a DIYer. I wish it was. Seems your choice is to stop the sale and get your roof professionally repaired OR offer a discount to the buyer to let the sale go forward. Ask the buyer to give you a number of the amount of discount it would take to do a deal. That may be your cheapest option.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Options on the roof

Very difficult problem to address. We are half owners in this RV and the other half is in a financial fix. Other than the roof this RV is an excellent coach with only 45.7 k on the clock. Thanks for the information on the product. The only other thing here is the photo is misleading. That ripple is at the front cap. I think you are probably right. We'll need to sell undervalue because of the roof issues.
DangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure where you live but I would think Manus is available anywhere in US? I actually just received a tube yesterday from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Z2RH4M...roduct_details Every time I wax my roof, I look for cracks ( not leaks) and fill in. One day if my Mobile Tech says there is need, I will have him remove and add new manus bond for entire roof, but I will not try my self.

With that said, I am with CreativePart. Depending on buyer, you may offer to pay for the repairs and deduct from your agreed upon sales price. That way he can use whomever he prefers and have the warranty. Otherwise just fix it yourself and move on to next buyer if the current buyer tries to shake you down. My Mother always says "one monkey don't stop no show"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

the lines that run left to right across your roof really appear to be the 4 x 8 sections of Luan panel, which tells me the Luan is separating from the foam and protruding up into your Filon.

As said this is not an easy fix and down the road the luan will break through the Filon

As others have said I am sorry you are having to deal with this.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This thread is why I love pictures. It is amazing what a set of fresh eyes will see when looking at the same thing.

I just finished waxing my roof and today we got rain When it dries, I plan to apply Manus Bond to fill anything that looks like a hairline crack in the sealant. I got one tube, and I expect I will use about 1/2 of it.

I have not seen anything yet with the Filon roof coming out of the channels, but I keep looking twice a year.

Side question: Does anyone know what Winnebago uses as clear sealant that goes over the sides of the end cap and around areas like the outside fridge vent grill covers. I am sure clear silicone may work, but I like to know what WBGO uses as I have done for the Manus Bond.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230508_115055.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	185966  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Can Filon really form such sharp peaks and tight wrinkles?

I would not expect filon to be able to form those sharp ridges, nor those short diameter wrinkles near the cap.

Can you push those folds near the cap down with your finger? If so that is not filon but some sort of membrane.

How long have you owned this RV? Is there any chance someone replaced the roof?

As for repairs, if it really is Filon I don't see anyway your going to get it to lie flat. You'll either have to find a buyer who is willing to do a roof job, or do one yourself.

How is it this caught you off guard? Those flaws look very prominent.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Can Filon really form sharp ridges and wrinkles like that?

I wouldn't expect Filon to be able to form such sharp ridges or exhibit those small wrinkles near the cap. If you can easily push down those folds near the cap with your finger, it's likely not Filon but some kind of membrane material.

How long have you owned this RV? Is there a possibility that someone replaced the roof?

Regarding repairs, if it is indeed Filon, it seems unlikely that you'll be able to make it lie flat. Your options would be to either find a buyer who is willing to undertake a roof replacement or to do it yourself.

I'm curious as to how this issue caught you off guard. Those flaws appear quite prominent.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
I would not expect filon to be able to form those sharp ridges, nor those short diameter wrinkles near the cap.

Can you push those folds near the cap down with your finger? If so that is not filon but some sort of membrane.

How long have you owned this RV? Is there any chance someone replaced the roof?

As for repairs, if it really is Filon I don't see anyway your going to get it to lie flat. You'll either have to find a buyer who is willing to do a roof job, or do one yourself.

How is it this caught you off guard? Those flaws look very prominent.
I agree.
When I saw the pictures, I immediately thought of EPDM separation from base roof. Something is certainly amiss there.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roof