Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2015 Winnebago 30T: RUST Problem

Hi folks, we are new to this forum with a new 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T MH. Took delivery on a new MH about 3 weeks ago and discovered a lot of surface rust under the unit.

Just curious, is this type of surface rust underneath the norm for Winnebago or is this just happening with our MH?

http://alice95.com/IMG_0880.jpg
http://alice95.com/IMG_0880.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	82679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	962.1 KB
ID:	82680  

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	838.7 KB
ID:	82681  
2015RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Where are you located? Was the unit driven through salted roads en route to you? Salt will do it.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Also chassis could have been delivered months before the 'house' was built on it. While waiting to make the trip down the assembly line, it probably sat in a field outside the plant.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Cooperhawk,

We are located in Seattle Washington. Yes, coach was driven to dealer from factory which accounted for the first 2000 miles
Old 01-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Surface rust is normal in that case. Wait till it rains and drive it through the fresh water. They also set outside at the plant waiting to be built on. Saw that last Summer at the GNR. BTW, if you have never attended that, you should.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

2015RV, those placees are normal. Ford does not want any paint under the bolt heads and nuts in some locations and no one goes back and paints the chassis after it is assembled, they do not paint some castings. I spend a lot of time the first few months cleaning and painting those places. Wire brush and lots of cans of satin black paint. Winnebago is also bad about cutting and welding things then not repainting.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It's normal. I used a wire brush and spray rust removal / paint on mine. Looks much better now.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

grtharris is correct. Looking at your pictures, you don't have a "problem". If your chassis had been delivered over salted roads, you would then see a LOT of rusted parts everywhere. IMO, you are fretting over nothing-enjoy your new baby, it is not rusted.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I agree with the above posts, that what you posted it isn't anything to be worried about. When we purchased our 2013 Adventurer we were scheduled to pick it up in early April in Minnesota. We got a call a few days prior to the delivery date asking if we could postpone it a few days. We said we could postpone the delivery, but asked why.

The answer was The delivery company preferred to delay the delivery to the dealer because of there was a prediction of 8+ inches of snow. I don't think they want to drive these top heavy monsters on the snowy and icy roads any more than we do.

As always in the Midwest the weather changes on a dime. The storm did come and dumped 13 inches of snow over a 2 day period. We picked the motorhome up week later than the originally scheduled delivery. The temperatures were in the mid 70's and there wasn't a snowflake to be seen anywhere.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015RV View Post
Hi Cooperhawk,

We are located in Seattle Washington. Yes, coach was driven to dealer from factory which accounted for the first 2000 miles
This is what a salted-roads rusted chassis looks like:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1420497290

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	586.5 KB
ID:	82705  
Old 01-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015RV View Post
Hi Cooperhawk,

how many miles now??
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Although I do agree with everyone's assessment that the rust is harmless and probably normal I also would be concerned and for good reason. I owned a 2004 Itasca Sunova for about five years. During its ten years the rust had almost taken over the underside of the coach and the top of the basement storage bins on the slide out road side. Trying to control it was an annual event; hours and hours crawling around with a wire brush, rust converter, primers and cases of black spray paint. No, it did not get driven on salted roads and in fact spent winters under cover. Don't know about you, but I would not expect to see that amount of rust on a brand new unit. You know it'll be twice that bad by this time next year. Yes, I traded the Sunova in and I will miss it. But, our new Fleetwood, which was delivered in November, has zero rust anywhere on the undercarriage. Believe me, I looked. Also noted that Fleetwood not only paints; they undercoat certain areas......now that is what I would expect on a brand new rig. I wish you many miles of great memories in the new rig but do get out in front of that rust.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We live in the Puget Sound area too. Our Journey was delivered in December, 2006 and was delivered after being driven the entire route from the factory in snow and salt covered roads. Corrosion/Rust on every bit of Winnebago metal work on the underside was the norm, especially at every welded joint. It took several years of annual scraping, wire brushing and anti rust treatments to get the upper hand on the situation. Now I spend less than 30 minutes each spring with the wire brush and rust treatment spray treating whatever I find on my annual undercarriage inspection. Never had any problems with the Freightliner factory treated areas.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

You call that RUST? This is what rust looks like:

I and many Winne and Itasca owners have lots of rust around the compartment framing and, undercarriage. As has been stated, Winne orders up a ton of chassis's and, they sit outside the factory, in Winter, summer and, all year around. They can get a ton of snow on them and then, they get built on. Then, they ship them out and, sometimes they get driven to a dealer in salty road conditions and, then, an owner takes over.

Like mine, the coach may spend a few of its younger years in the ugly world of SALT ON THE ROADS!!!

But, what you see is nothing. You can see the same exact thing, by going under any car on a BRAND NEW CAR storage lot and take a look. In the old days, as in around pre '75 or so, the manufacturers USED TO PAINT much of the suspension, undercarriage, differentials, springs, and more. That is until the bean counters decided it's not needed and the future owners don't care.

And, if any owner really did care, then they'd have it "Undersealed". I used to do that for a living in San Diego at a Chevy dealer. You simply sprayed a tar like substance under the entire car. What a mess.

Anyway, you see simple uncoated steel. No big deal. If it bothers you, cruise on down to your local Home Depot or, Lowes and pick up a can of black spray paint. You can even choose "Rustoleum" brand if it makes you happy. I'm not being sarcastic here. Just stating that, it's all normal. Since I don't have and probably never will own, a high end coach like a Newel or, Prevost, I suppose that they may do a better job of protection on un-seen items such as you're presenting. I have no idea.

But, as has been stated, a little wire brush time and, some rattle-can work, and, your done. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

These are pictures of the under carriage of my 1999 Tradewinds. Living in New Mexico has it's advantages.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Looking Aft.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	83243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking Fwd.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	83244  

Name:	Pass Side just Fwd of rear Wheels.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	83245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing Bay Drivers Side.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	83246  

Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I grew up fighting rust in old U.S. and foreign cars of the '50's and '60's. No matter how much you wire brushed, scraped, naval jellied, painted, the rust would return. In Australia my son-in-law sprays his boat trailers with a fish oil mix that slows corrosion and rust of his scuba boat fleet, but it only slows, not prevents.

If you're not going to keep the RV for 10-15 years, I'd save the time and labor and just enjoy what you've got. Not sure any intervention once rust is seen will do much to stop it, only slow it down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Type in "Winnebago rust problems" in Google. You will quickly see you don't have a rust problem compared to some Winnebago owners.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Rust problems have to begin somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
Type in "Winnebago rust problems" in Google. You will quickly see you don't have a rust problem compared to some Winnebago owners.
Thank you for the response. We have begun the prose of addressing this issue with the dealer and Winnebago. Considering our unit is "new", there is a reasonable expectation that it should be free from rust. While I am not suggesting our problem is extrememe, it has a beginning presence that shouldn't be there. The reality is, it will not just go away and needs to be addressed.

Some have shared their stories who without a doubt have rust issues that have advanced, attacking the integrity and resell value of their investment. Again, thank you for your input
Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Rusting like that can be found on almost all the new cars and trucks now days. You will see it on the drive line flanges, spring hangers and bolts. Will also see the same thing on transmission pans. Last travel trailer had similar rusting in places.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

We had a very bad rust problem on our motorhome (2013 Sunstar 26HE) which we noticed a few days after we signed the paperwork. The rust pictures you are showing are nothing compared to the rust issue I had. The dealership treated the rust. Every time I take it to my Ford mechanic, I ask him to look and treat any rust he finds. Definitely, one thing I will look for next time I buy a new motorhome.

The chassis obviously sat out in the rain or was driven in a blizzard where they had salted the roads. I live in California (away from the ocean) so this rust did not start here.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, rust