Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Yet one more problem added to my cleanup list from my troublesome weekend....

Seems My Winnie decided to blow a heater core. From what I have read on here, it seems to be a not so uncommon occurance... especially in my year range...

The good news is that Thankfully I was abl to remove it... Not that it was easy, but the genny slide and taking down the wiper motor gave me just enough access to slide it out. NOW...

Does anyone know who makes this core? Part number? Adivse on where to find it?

It apppears to be the same core as everyone has talked about about 16 5/8x21/2x61/2...

Thanks,

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yet one more problem added to my cleanup list from my troublesome weekend....

Seems My Winnie decided to blow a heater core. From what I have read on here, it seems to be a not so uncommon occurance... especially in my year range...

The good news is that Thankfully I was abl to remove it... Not that it was easy, but the genny slide and taking down the wiper motor gave me just enough access to slide it out. NOW...

Does anyone know who makes this core? Part number? Adivse on where to find it?

It apppears to be the same core as everyone has talked about about 16 5/8x21/2x61/2...

Thanks,

John

Old 07-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Moder2,

Can't help you on the part number, but I had the same failure on my prior Journey. The core itself cost about $180 for the part. If you can do the replacement yourself, you will save a bucket load of $$'s as the majority of the cost is in the labor to replace the core.

I'm sure Winnie can tell you the appropriate part number.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

SCS Fridgette makes the core. I called them and was able to order the replacement core directly from them. You can also take the core to most any radiator shop and they will order a core, and use your tanks to make up a new unit.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sorry, forget the link:

http://www.scsfrigette.com/html/home/index.htm
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Well, I got the core on it's way...

I called winnie, got thier number and Frigette's number. Since I work for a parts store I tried every possible avenue I had to find a replacement without going to Frigette... Not possible.

The dealer I called could get the core for me from Winnie for (Cough) $190.00 plus shipping.

I told him he could keep it for that price. I then called Fridgette, and they had the "Updated" version which I forgot to get a new part number for, but their cost was $87.00. She is shipping it to me 2nd day air, so hopefully this drama will end Wednesday.

What I did learn is the core is a Fridgette Only part, which they contract to have made by an undisclosed source. The reason for the new number isn't because of an updated core which to me sounds like they should have done, but it is because the last manufacturer went out of business.

I thought about just having it recored, but the bottom line is I really don't trust anyone here in Columbia, SC... Secondly, it is leaking in a tube, not a tank, so That tells me it is either a bad solder joint, or the core material is corroding. To me, just not worth the risk.

I'll post the new part number when I get the packing slip.

John

Old 07-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In our business we work on comercial generators. Most are diesel, as large as 2.8mW. Most common cause of a cooling system problem is lack of cooling system maintenance. DCA/SCA, whatever you care to call it is usually way out of spec. Antifreeze will go acid and attack your cooling system from the inside out and in a MH the part that goes first is usually the heater core.
I would do a cooling system flush and fill with fresh/new coolant if I had a heater core failure.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Moder 2- Been there and done it. What I found in my research is the reason it fails where yours did and mine is two dissimilar metals were used which according to my reliable sources is a no-no. I had mine recored locally and replaced the in and out tubes so they would not interact with the core. Not sure if this helps but file it under the "for what its worth file". Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
Moder 2- Been there and done it. What I found in my research is the reason it fails where yours did and mine is two dissimilar metals were used which according to my reliable sources is a no-no. I had mine recored locally and replaced the in and out tubes so they would not interact with the core. Not sure if this helps but file it under the "for what its worth file". Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. In fact, Frigette provided the 'revised' in/out tubes for that reason. Joe-K ordered several sets for many of us on the forum. I used them in the new core. When I talked to Frigette (mine also leaked in the core), they also told me to ground one of the tubes to the chassis. So, I clamped a good ground wire on one of the tubes during the reinstall procedure.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I got the updated core today. Was supposed to be yesterday, but the delay was due to Campground Politics, not SCS.

SCS was great to work with, Linda, was veery knowledgeable, and was very quick when I called about the package not showing up when it was supposed to (It actually did, but the campground office worker had it hidden when we went to go get mail...)

The New Updated part number is 084-00305. Again I tried to cross that number to attempt to find another vendor, but SCS is the only source I could find.

The Core itself is not much different. Same size, and seems to have a bit denser foam wrapping on the caps. The endcaps also have a plastic "Protector" over the tanks. The entire core is now made from the same metal. The "Fins" are a bit "weaker" but you can see the tubes are larger in the core itself. The in/out tubes are now part of the core, and do not screw out like the original.

I'll attempt to install it tonight after the temps drop a bit here.

John