Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking at a Early 70's Winnebago Brave. Can anyone tell me what materials were used for the cabin frame? Wood? Steel? Aluminum? This is a Dodge based unit with a 440 in it. Thanks, dave
dmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking at a Early 70's Winnebago Brave. Can anyone tell me what materials were used for the cabin frame? Wood? Steel? Aluminum? This is a Dodge based unit with a 440 in it. Thanks, dave
Old 12-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. I have also placed your question in our Vintage RV area.

Someone will likely respond who is more familiar with that vintage coach. Also, you might want to contact Winnebago service administration and ask the question. They are very helpful.

(800)-537-1885

Good luck with your search.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Does the oringinal brochure say?

1970 brochures

(other years are available too...)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago developed and patended the Thermo-Panel sidewall construction technique in the late sixties. The panel is an aluminum frame with block insulation between the frame members and fiberglas or aluminum sheets bonded to the frame and insulation. Makes a strong light weight sidewall. The roof uses small aluminum trusses.

Gerald
Old 12-20-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the info. What I don't want is a wood framed unit. When the roof leaks the wood rots and you can't even tell until the thing falls apart. Sometimes this occurs on the highway!!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

In the 70's, Winnebago used too advertise the drop test where they would drop a class A Winnebago on its roof to show its sturdiness. Very well constructed back then. Not sure if steel or aluminum but not wood. Try and do that with anything made today.
adesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I wouldn't try it no matter what brand they are!!!! I remember those too..dropping them on there roofs..I still think that there was something done to that home so it would withstand the drop.
grye, Thanks for the help with his motorhome. Catch you later, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Dan
You are right I had a 72 24ft. Winnebago Indian and one of the changes made in later yrs. was to put a rollbar just behind drivers seat. The side walls are Aluminum outside Foam center Plywood inner bonded with heat and vacuum. If it tips over you don't want to see what happens. I never seen one wet in the laminate part but if the plywood gets wet I would like to see how to fix it. Andy
andye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I am 70% sure that it has Aluminum framework. It was I think Vacuum molded and foam and a plywood facing. Get a hold of Fleamarketter He is dong a new roof and he can help you with the ins and outs of a new roof. My home is a Coachmen and has outer skin on a plywood with 2X2's for the walls with fiberglass insulation and then a paneling on the inside. I do know his has aluminum framework.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I used to sell Champion Motor homes in the 70's and recall trying to overcome Winnie's aluminum frame construction in my sales shpeel. If you can find any of that era that are in any kind of shape you've found a jewel.