Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #1

Hi everyone;

I'm down at Disneyland and have discovered a big problem: I have a major water leak in an area that can't readily be accessed. I had my local dealer repair a water leak; they had told me that it was coming from the shower door and they resealed it. Wrong! Water was showing up anytime the system was pressurized, either by 12v pump or city water. I think something broke behind the shower faucets and we had water everywhere.

My question: in the picture below, there are four screws that can be removed. It looks like this is a facia where the faucets are installed and could be removed, though there seems to be a silicon strip that would need to be cut into. This seal is around the outer-most perimeter of the facia in the shower stall. Removing the actual faucets would not allow me access to the rear of the facia. Is this how I would be able to access the area behind the faucets? I think either a water supply line is loose or broken going to these faucets. Or, at least for now, does Winnebago use shut-off valves going to the shower? It's incredible to me that much of the water lines, connections and such are not accessible in any way.

Thanks for any help... we have no water unless I turn it on, and we have instant floor and carpet flooding, and are here for a few more days.

Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #2

Hi everyone;

I'm down at Disneyland and have discovered a big problem: I have a major water leak in an area that can't readily be accessed. I had my local dealer repair a water leak; they had told me that it was coming from the shower door and they resealed it. Wrong! Water was showing up anytime the system was pressurized, either by 12v pump or city water. I think something broke behind the shower faucets and we had water everywhere.

My question: in the picture below, there are four screws that can be removed. It looks like this is a facia where the faucets are installed and could be removed, though there seems to be a silicon strip that would need to be cut into. This seal is around the outer-most perimeter of the facia in the shower stall. Removing the actual faucets would not allow me access to the rear of the facia. Is this how I would be able to access the area behind the faucets? I think either a water supply line is loose or broken going to these faucets. Or, at least for now, does Winnebago use shut-off valves going to the shower? It's incredible to me that much of the water lines, connections and such are not accessible in any way.

Thanks for any help... we have no water unless I turn it on, and we have instant floor and carpet flooding, and are here for a few more days.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You did not mention where the water leaking appears , in the shower, on the floor etc.

As you describe the problem I assume tha water leaks when the shower is used. Either way, I believe you have figured out the access to where you suspect the leak might be. The silicone is of course so that you don't leak into the walls when you shower. Before you open there be sure to check to assure that the shower head plumbing is not the culpret. I mention this as that area gets the most abuse.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Some rigs have an access through a wall on the other side of the shower. I had one once that had a factory installed picture covering the access hole, another had a cosmetically appealing wood decorative that when removed afforded access to the shower connections from behind.

Good luck with it and don't let it spoil your vacation!

Also, I placed a 'shortcut' to your post in the RV Systems forum so it'd get additional exposure to members other than Winnebago Owners Forum Members.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Remove the 4 screws and gently pry the moulding from the shower stall. You will find that the silicone is caulking. Make repairs and clean all the old calking from the moulding. Purchase a good tube and tile caulk and put back around it when you finish.
Good luck with the leak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
You did not mention where the water leaking appears , in the shower, on the floor etc.

As you describe the problem I assume tha water leaks when the shower is used. Either way, I believe you have figured out the access to where you suspect the leak might be. The silicone is of course so that you don't leak into the walls when you shower. Before you open there be sure to check to assure that the shower head plumbing is not the culpret. I mention this as that area gets the most abuse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello DSouthw524;

I don't actually know for sure where the leak is; it's been leaking for a long time and the dealer thought they'd fixed it by sealing the shower enclosure.

Part of the problem was that we have only used the water system on the 12v pump, so the leak stayed minor. On this trip, we used city water and finally something let go, probably due to the higher pressure. I'm guessing the shower area due to an air or water sound we heard in the shower area when we found the water on the floor.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The twist on pipe fittings can loosen with time and vibration, do as Wizard discribed and check the pipe fitting to faucets you could have one of them cross threaded.
Its a good idea to check all faucet fittings, where you can gain access and drain pipes, traps, clamp points when you get your coach and yearly check ups.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest getting a blow out plug ( like a bicycle tire valve) from an RV store and screw it into the fresh water fill. Hook up an air compressor with the pressure setting on about 35# and listen for the air leak. It will be alot less messy than water and you should be able to find the leak easily.

Good luck.
Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeteB:
I would suggest getting a blow out plug ( like a bicycle tire valve) from an RV store and screw it into the fresh water fill. Hook up an air compressor with the pressure setting on about 35# and listen for the air leak. It will be alot less messy than water and you should be able to find the leak easily.

Good luck.
Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Pete. I learn something new here everyday.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
Remove the 4 screws and gently pry the moulding from the shower stall. You will find that the silicone is caulking. Make repairs and clean all the old calking from the moulding. Purchase a good tube and tile caulk and put back around it when you finish.
Good luck with the leak.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wizard;

Thanks for the reply; I removed the facia and faucets and was able to gain access to the back of the faucets. One of the collars on an elbow to the cold water side was completely cracked. It was only a $7.00 part, but had to breakdown camp and drive to Camping World to get the part. Spent a total of three hours so it sure has messed up the day for Disneyland; at least I know it's fixed and what to watch for.

I'm going to save the broken part for the RV tech that 'sealed the shower glass enclosure; no leak observed' and give it to him as a Christmas present. I should have taken pictures of the flooded floor and storage bins that took on water fo him too.

Again, thanks to everyone here for the replies. In fact, I emailed the dealer twice last night and still have not gotten a phone call or email reply back... glad I didn't wait to hear from him for specific instructions.