Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2001 View Post
If I just clean up the few bad spots can I just reseal them spots on the seam of the roof? The rest of the roof looks good or would I be better off doing the whole seam?
Thanks Mike
That's the procedure according to one of the Dicor U Tube videos I watched.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys that is what I will do. How offen should I check the roof after I reseal it.
Mike
jeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2001 View Post
Thanks guys that is what I will do. How offen should I check the roof after I reseal it.
Mike
No less than every 6 months. Not a bad idea just to give it a quick look each time you are on the roof. These things twist more than we think they do and failures is the seams can happen at any time. The 6 month inspection should be up close and personal.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I will recheck the roof every 6 months or sooner. I have the sealer now but its been raining here. I hope the rain stops tomorrow and get this job done on Tuesday.
Mike
jeep2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Thanks folks for all the info! RVing is a perpetual "research & learning experience"! Has anyone had any actual experience with the DAP Clear Flexible elastomeric sealant mentioned in a few of the above posts? Here's the DAP specs on it --> http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00077019t.pdf Being an ex-boater, I am also considering 3M 5200. Excellent adherence to f/g and UV tolerance but it's not a clear sealant. Comments appreciated.
Wayne (KQ6WG), Bonnie & Mariah (Rottweiler) - '06 Itasca Meridian 36G -Cummins 300HP/Allison 2000 SBW - Onan 7.5KW - '08 Honda CRV (toad) - M&G proportional brake system Last RV - Hans Christian 38T Cutter Rigged Sailboat - Homebase - Sun City West, AZ
wddogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

3M5200 has a 7 day cure time and is about average for UV resistance. That said it is very strong and stretchy, so will give when the coach flexes. As a boater, you will know that it is made To bed and seal things that will never be removed. Check out 3M4000UV. My though is it will stand the weather and UV better. Shorter cure time too.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Here is a good website to read up on the advantages of the 3M boat sealants. I happened to be on the 4200 page. 3M 4200 Fast Cure Marine Polyurethane Sealant
Old 10-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Heavy wind just caused my roof to pop out of its channel in Colorado, 1000 miles from my home, roadside assistance came out, before I experienced any major damage and pop riveted my roof down, after reinserting it into the channel. They then calk the side seam. I got home yesterday and will be taking RV to a dealer for inspection and work. What does the forum think of pop riveting the roof down so that wind can't catch it and peel the roof back???
Chrisinarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinarizona View Post
What does the forum think of pop riveting the roof down so that wind can't catch it and peel the roof back???
YIKES! From the cross-section of the cove that I have seen, I wonder what they caught on the other side to secure the rivet?? I suppose it may be a workable short term emergency fix, but can"t help but wonder if it might create other/additional problems later.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinarizona View Post
Heavy wind just caused my roof to pop out of its channel in Colorado, 1000 miles from my home, roadside assistance came out, before I experienced any major damage and pop riveted my roof down, after reinserting it into the channel. They then calk the side seam. I got home yesterday and will be taking RV to a dealer for inspection and work. What does the forum think of pop riveting the roof down so that wind can't catch it and peel the roof back???
This would not have happened if you had sealed the roof edge correctly and inspected and re-caulked as needed.. Pop rivets may not be a good idea. The roof flexes allot. The roof may start to tear around them in time. Another issue is leaking. You MUST be certain they are well caulked or water will get into the roof and ceiling. I use Pro Flex clear on the roof side seams and the white on the roof mounted items.

A RV is not like a stick and brick. We need to be a bit more vigilant about caulking and maintenance in general.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

07 isnt that under warrenty ? I would use https://www.eternabond.com/
Maj.kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.kangaroo View Post
07 isnt that under warrenty ? I would use https://www.eternabond.com/
Eternabond is not as good on fiberglass as Proflex. The previous owner of my rig had used that stuff on all of my seams. It all pealed off. Proflex is permanent.

The warranty won't cover damage by lack of maintenance, as in this case. The roof material didn't fail. It was damaged.

I used a heavy plastic, about a 1/2 to 3/4" scraper I got at an RV store that was made for this purpose. I deep cleaned the roof channels as best as I could and then forced the clear Proflex into the void. Now I casually check it each time I am on the roof but do a on the knees inspection at least every 6 months and repair any questionable areas.

Rick Y

Tags
need help, roof, seal, winnebago