Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

tcbetka,

I replaced two of the solenoids for my HWH jacks. I am wondering if "shuttle valve" is the technical term for the solenoids? My problem was two different items at two different times. One was a leaking solenoid (which I replaced myself) and the other was a failure of one jack to deploy because of a defective solenoid. The fuse had blown that energized the solenoid (unbeknownst to me). We were outside of Elkhart Indiana and I had previously scheduled a appointment with them to do a preventative maintenance check on the new to me coach. The owner/HWH tech replaced the defective solenoid and said that replacing the fuse would not of done anything but blown another fuse.

After you have been thru the Winnebago factory repairs do you also plan to take the coach to the HWH facility in Moscow Iowa too? When I was there with my previous coach I was very impressed with the quality of the service I received from them.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

No, I don't think we'll be taking it there. I wish I could, but it won't work out. We're almost 400 miles away, and they will likely have the coach for 3-4 weeks at Winnebago. When we made the appointment, I didn't know how many things I would need them to work on--so they scheduled three days in the shop. However there were quite a few other things I found after the appointment was scheduled, so the only way to get them all done is to leave it there as long as it takes. Thus we had to go back home, and will just have to drive back and pick it up when they are finished. But Winnebago has a chassis technician, so I would think they would easily be able to replace the shuttle valve or the solenoids (they are not the same).

TB
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

TB,
how's your dog doing?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

She passed on Monday, while I was on the way home from the factory in Iowa. She was suffering, so my wife had to have the vet come over and put her down. It was a long drive home, those 370 miles.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of one of your best friends. My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. And remember you were this pup's people and you gave her a wonderful life and your friend will be waiting for you over the Rainbow Bridge nwhen that day comes.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about your dog, he is in a better place now, no pain. God Bless
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys. Yes, she is free of pain and suffering now. That's about the only good thing to say about this, as we miss her terribly. I guess a positive thing about this is that her death will give another shelter dog a home with our family.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
She passed on Monday, while I was on the way home from the factory in Iowa. She was suffering, so my wife had to have the vet come over and put her down. It was a long drive home, those 370 miles.

Awwww, I'm so sorry. I know that pain.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

There's one more issue that HWH does NOT put in their manual. The solenoids get so hot that they should never be left on for more than 15 minutes. I had one slow-to-retract jack and after it was 1/2 way up I took off and started to drive to my next destination with the system in "Store" mode. After a couple of hours, all 4 solenoids were fried and cost me $500 to replace them.

Nowhere could I find in the manual to never leave in store mode for more than 15 minutes. This is a significant design defect with HWH jack system. So why don't they give you a warning statement in the manual? I'm pretty sure they must make a lot of money selling new and rebuilt solenoids.

Bill
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Wow...my system automatically disengages from STORE mode after two minutes of non-use. That would be a bummer though. Do you remember how much one solenoid was? One of mine has the T-handle missing, for some reason. This actually leads me to believe that someone had an issue with the system before we bought it last Fall.

TB
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Do you remember how much one solenoid was?
We had one solenoid replaced on our rear slide to cure a "creeping out" problem. Cost for that one was $151. We have not had any problem with jack solenoids. Ours too shuts down automatically.

TB ...it sure does sound like someone did some tinkering with your system, and perhaps did more damage than good...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Based on a lot of posts, and discussions, not all of the HWH systems function the same. Mine is a 325, retract time should be no more than 4 minutes, and it is to be put in store mode while traveling. Otherwise, a jack can drop slightly, and the alarm will come on. If in store mode, and the alarm, (red light on control panel for that jack) comes on, the solinoid will power open, to allow the jack to retract enough to clear the alarm sensor. The problem is that if the solinoid is powered up too long, the coil will get hot enough to fail. Two year ago, my rear ones were slow retracting in cold conditions. I lost a solinoid. Troubleshot with phone assistance from HWH and replaced it myself, not hard to do. Cost of the replacement was approx. $110. I ended up replaceing the rear jack springs, and also, when I key "store", start counting the time. If I get to 4 minutes, and don't have a full retraction, I shut it off, and let the solinoid(s) cool off. To preclude weakening springs, I now place about 6 inches of 2 X 10's under the jacks when I am in longer storage at home, that way the jacks are not extended nearly so much. (I do want most of the weight off the tires.) Little more work putting those extra pads under the jacks, but I think it is worth the effort.
If you don't think the solinoids get hot, go feel them after they have been powered up for a while. At 4 minutes, you are probably not going to grab one of them very long. (The 4 minute time, was given to me by the HWH tech.)
The shuttle valve issue is a new one to me, so again, this forum has provided good information. Thanks for posting the solution
Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

4 min might be typical but some HWH documentation says it can take as long as 15 min to retract in some conditions. My 325 system also stores automatically but it does not shut off if a jack is stuck so it will burn up all solenoids even in auto mode. Seems I paid $110 ea from HWH for rebuilt ones.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Wow...my system automatically disengages from STORE mode after two minutes of non-use. That would be a bummer though. Do you remember how much one solenoid was? One of mine has the T-handle missing, for some reason. This actually leads me to believe that someone had an issue with the system before we bought it last Fall.

TB
the small slide out solenoid without the t handle cost me $163.06 about a year ago. ims it was new.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I agree...this thread has become an excellent resource on the potential issues with HWH jack systems.

On that note, I did talk to the Winnebago folks last night. They have replaced the shuttle valve, and the system is apparently working normally. I'll find out more of the details on Monday or Tuesday, but the Service Adviser told me they had the jack system going again. Unfortunately though, they aren't going to be able to repair some delamination we have near the bedroom slide. So they told me they that I would need an entire NEW SIDEWALL to fix it, LOL. (Can you say $20,000 repair?)

But that's a subject for another thread...

TB