Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecat460 View Post
I have two questions, first I am connected to 50 amp service, the display
shows 30 amps, also, the ac only runs on one compressor. I installed the
super boost capacitor with no help.
The display has always showed 50 amp service. I shut all systems off except
the fridge and was gone for a week and when I returned the problem showed
up when I turned on the ac, any information on trouble shooting this problem
would be appreciated. The coach is a 2002 Journey DL with Coleman basement
AC.
I think you lost one leg of your 50 amp service. Check the 50 amp breaker, one side may have tripped. An easy spot to measure voltage is the transfer box where your power cord connects. I'm pretty sure there is a schematic inside the lid when you pull the cover off.

If you're missing Line 2 power, the #2 compressor won't get power.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I just experienced the same problem. It ended up the control board for the Intellitec energy management system was bad. I replaced it and problem solved.

The part number is 620 and it is $191.00 from factory and I found them for $100.00 new from Colaw Salvage in Carthage MO. It is located in the breaker panel. it took me 25 minutes to change it.

Bob
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

IRT the display showing only 30amps when on 50 amp circuit, ensure all your internal ac breakers are turned on.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoots View Post
Hello fellow Basement Air Owners,

Yesterday, our local RV tech replaced my basement air with a new one from Coleman. Compressor had gave up the ghost. Super job. Took about 2 hours to pull one and install the new one.

I had purchased the MH in 2010 with 14K miles and had changed a/c filters religiously. And when I washed the MH I made sure to rinse down the outside coils.

HOWEVER! Upon inspection of the old unit, I discovered the internal coils were packed with dust and debris despite the changing of a/c filters. The RV tech said that this contributed to the compressor failure. That I should have lifted the bed, removed the filter, and rinsed the internal condensing coils with a water hose. The water would have drained out the bottom of the pan.

Most RV chronic expenses are self inflicted due to IGNORANCE, OR BEING IN A HURRY. Please learn by my mistake and rinse those coils at least every quarter to keep the a/c running effeciently as possible. DO NOT USE COIL CLEANER AS IT WILL CAUSE THE PAN TO CORRODE!

Most of you basement a/c experts out there probably knew this already, but I'm betting that a few will appreciate the heads up.

Your humble RV driver,

Phil

Great tip!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Former Winnebago Class A

Glad to see this thread... I have paid to replace the circuit board and thermostat, then the capacitors and relays. Now I have had an entire new unit put in at >$4000
When I went to pick it up I wanted to ensure that it was finally a working A/C system.
I started the gen, waited, and then turned the A/C on to "cool" and "Hi fan" Nothing happened for about 4 minutes, then the fan and Comp#1 came on and about 90 seconds later comp#2 came on.
In the past it seems to me that the fan came on immediately when I turned on the A/C and comp#1 came on after maybe a minute.
Is there a reason that nothing would happen at all for 3 - 4 minutes when I turn this brand new A/C on? (I did this cycle 4 times and the delay was about equal each time).
I don't want to pay these guys again if it is not working as designed.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Glad to see this thread... I have paid to replace the circuit board and thermostat, then the capacitors and relays. Now I have had an entire new unit put in at >$4000
When I went to pick it up I wanted to ensure that it was finally a working A/C system.
I started the gen, waited, and then turned the A/C on to "cool" and "Hi fan" Nothing happened for about 4 minutes, then the fan and Comp#1 came on and about 90 seconds later comp#2 came on.
In the past it seems to me that the fan came on immediately when I turned on the A/C and comp#1 came on after maybe a minute.
Is there a reason that nothing would happen at all for 3 - 4 minutes when I turn this brand new A/C on? (I did this cycle 4 times and the delay was about equal each time).
I don't want to pay these guys again if it is not working as designed.
Here is the sequence for my 2004 service manual from RVP. Since you have a new replacement, it could be somewhat different.

8. A TYPICAL COOLING CYCLE OF THE HEAT PUMP
Begins with a call from the wall thermostat for High or Low fan
(customer choice).
Indoor fan starts on the selected speed.
Within a few seconds the thermostat will call for cooling.
Compressor 1 starts.
Outdoor fan starts 2 seconds later (Low Speed).
1 minute later the thermostat calls for second stage cool
(subject to 2 degree temp. differential).
Compressor 2 starts, the outdoor fan goes off (subject to
available 115 volt power supply).
Outdoor fan starts again 2 seconds later (High Speed).
Both systems operate to satisfy the thermostat.
Both compressors shut off at setpoint temperature.
When the thermostat calls for cooling again it will start by
calling for stage one only.
If the heat pump is unable to keep up with the load, stage 2 will
start again when the indoor temperature is 2 degrees above the
setpoint.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #27
Former Winnebago Class A

Thanks Bill,
Got it back today with the new basement unit installed, ($4200). I was worried because it wasn't cycling on for 3-4 minutes yesterday but today when I got it home I fired up the gen set and the A/C and the fans were on in 15 seconds and compressor #1 kicked in 15 seconds later, followed by compressor #2 about a minute later.
It stayed at a 30 amp draw which is a little high I think but it stayed on and blew cold air. So, I guess I'm OK now. I'll be out for a week in it shortly and I'll see what happens.
Thanks to you and all who have responded regarding my A/C issues....

Tags
air conditioner