Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need advise for Onan Exhaust routing

We bought a neglected Winnebago Brave and are working on fixing it up. I noticed the exhaust port under the Onan MicroLite 4000 generator points down and I suspect the exhaust pipe is missing.

I don't like the idea of not having an exhaust pipe that leads away from the underbody.

Can anyone tell me if the pipe should go towards the rear of the RV or is it OK out the driver's side?
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer3 View Post
We bought a neglected Winnebago Brave and are working on fixing it up. I noticed the exhaust port under the Onan MicroLite 4000 generator points down and I suspect the exhaust pipe is missing.

I don't like the idea of not having an exhaust pipe that leads away from the underbody.

Can anyone tell me if the pipe should go towards the rear of the RV or is it OK out the driver's side?
Not the same model Winnebago but our exhaust pokes out the driver side almost to the very front. Doesn't stick out very far and moves forward then the genny is slid out the front. It stinks if the drivers window is open. We have a couple of carbon monoxide alarms on board at all times though.

EDIT: It is diesel.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If it's a concern and you plan on running your gen a lot, you might want to check out the "Gen-turi" exhaust product. It's an exhaust extension that routes the exhaust up above the roof. There are also some homemade versions that you can find instructions for online.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your advise.

That Gen-turi is a great idea and looks like will help get rid of the exhaust. I think I can build one.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Different model but ours was in the rear and we rerouted it to the rear driver side(generator is on rear passenger side, with slideout above it). We did this so we could run the generator down the road and not melt the Protect-A-Tow. Just went to an exhaust shop boght a pipe, he flared it for us, bought some hangars and other odds and ends, $30-$40 solution.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you are just missing the tailpipe?

Simple part. Around $40 for the Onan part. Looks like any muffler shop could do it too.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer3 View Post

Radioflyer3
The "Onan Installation Manual" for the Onan MicroLite 4000 generator will contain a drawing of various "Onan recommended tailpipe termination locations, (both rear and side).

If you don't have the Installation Manual for your Onan I suggest you find one online.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your help. I found what I need on line. Going to get a pipe welded up.

Tags
onan