Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
The "doghouse" .....

Question Need a "backup" key made for ignition.

Hi everybody, I just purchased a 2018 Winn Fuse 23A and when I left the dealer I was given the keys. I didn't look closely, but when I did I noticed that I did not have a back up key for the ignition or really for any key. I assume the last owner did not give it to the dealer. Anyway …. I don't want to go to the dealer and spend an arm and a leg to get a new key ….. does anyone know where a good place to go to get a new key? I don't need the auto close buttons just the key is fine. My experience with dealer is they charge a large amount for this ….. maybe that is my only option? Thanks much for any advice.
djmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Team

You are most likely going to have to buy one from a Dealer or Ford directly. Many vehicle keys have a chip inside that is required to start the vehicle.

I'd guess that you would be able to order a new key from any Ford dealer since the Fuse is on a common Ford Transit Van chassis. You'll need your VIN Number or your Key number. Look in the FORD manual that came with your Fuse.

PS. Ace Hardware says they have replacement keys for 92% of all vehicles and their website says they have them for a 2017 Ford Transit. I know you have a 2018 Fuse, but many times the chassis is a year older.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Agree with the above. There is a unit in many cars which has to see the signal from the key before the PCM (power control module) will pass the power to start. Part of the safety as it prevents the old hot wiring to steal the car.
Before buying a key that opens the door and fits the ignition switch, make sure it also fires up the advanced things like starting the engine.
Yes, they are expensive compared to house keys as they are also radio transmitters. Not bad priced if you look at it that way?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
The "doghouse" .....

Thank you very much, and I will give them a try. Yes, indeed the chassis is a 2017 so I might have some luck with that. Again, my thanks. Dave
djmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote