Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mystery Water on Floor

Hey all-
So we just had some ferocious storms come through Maryland, and when i opened up the RV the carpet mat directly in front of the door was absolutely soaked - but the mystery is no where else had any water. There wasn't even a drop anywhere on the ceiling indicating that a drip had caused it - no water anywhere else on the floor - barely even any water between the mat and the door. But the mat itself was like someone poured 2 gallons of water on it and let it sit.

I'm wondering if somehow, with the crazy storm, water worked its way in through the bottom slide rails and then dripped down on the mat (slide was in). Top of the slide is dry, cant tell if any water was on the bottom or not.

Has anyone else seen anything even remotely like this?

Thanks!
PalidaMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My guess is the wind drove the water in, past the weather stripping on your door. It could have been at the bottom, top, sides or all three, eventually finding its way to the bottom. I'm not sure why you suspect the slide, the door would be more vulnerable. Depending on how you were leveled, the door could have been wracked a bit which could have created the problem.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my bedroom slideout when "Wind Driven Rain" found it way in.

I was near Winnebago and they replaced the bedroom seal... twice because they tried to send me on my way with new seals with lose bolts.

In fact, I did not get out of their parking lot, because when I tested the bedroom slide, the rubber seal around the bed pull away. Apparently, on these rubber seals, the old screw holes get enlarged and if the tech does not use a larger screw, the seal will not hold. As was the case in this situation.

This rework should have been very embarrassing for Winnebago. IDK. What I am sure of is that this repair was was very frustrating for me; and this is not the first time Winnebago in Forest City, IA rushed their work and I had to go back.

===

Then I read on IRV2.com that wind driven rain water can enter through those 3/8" molding strips and the solution is to remove them and apply silicon around the screws.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Team

I agree that checking the seals is a good idea. When we first got our Adventurer in 2017, I noticed a lot of light coming though the bottom of the large slide in the morning, which didn’t seem right. Looking under the slide, there was a gap between the sweep seal and the bottom of the slide. Pressing up the sweep seal, I could see the inside of our coach! I guess the new PowerGear slides rely on the sweep seal on the bottom to keep light and rain and bugs out of the RV. Anyway, Winnebago fixed the issue by moving the sweep seal up about a quarter of an inch and it has not been a problem, but it was a surprise.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water