Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
A Wandering Otter

Mystery Switch 1999 Adventurer 37G

Hi,
There is a mystery, could be an after-market add-on, switch right above the water pump and seems to be connected to the hydraulic HWH pump system.
What might it be?

Moreover:
1999 HWH slide not activating- not out, but stuck in.
When I press either side of the rocker switch- nothing.
Checked all fuses and all are okay.
Intend to check hydraulic fluid level (in case there's a minimum pressure switch) and voltage/continuity at switch and at pump itself.
1. Any secret reset button known of?
2. May I use a product like Lucas Leak Seal to top off low hydraulic fluid, if so? Otherwise Dexron II or generic hydraulic fluid okay?
3. Recommendations?
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G (finally figured out where the pumps and solenoids are)
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like there is a lot of confusion. Is this RV new to you, so that there may be things missed on how to do things like run out the slide?
Do you have the books on the RV and looked at how to do the slide. There are usually some steps that have to be done before we do the slides and if they are missed, things don't work!

First step seems to be to level the RV and leave the system on. Have you done that and did the leveling work correctly?

When you question what to fill the pump with, it really needs to be done correctly and using the right fluid as the manual says, so it really sounds like you may simply be guessing and that is really bad when dealing with something as different as an RV. Check the HWH manual for type to use and how to tell when it is full as it is easy to get it wrong if you open the wrong plug! Don't use the plug on the side!

A leak sealer sounds like it would NOT be something to put in a hydraulic system but the correct thing will be listed in the books.

A switch for the hydraulic pump, placed in the compartment with the water pump really doesn't sound like anything most would do. One would have to get out, go to the compartment to turn things on and then go back inside to level and do the slides???? Not a place most would want to put a switch for the slide!
There is already an ON and OFF switch on the controls, so I would not expect there to be one added later!

If you did not get the owners manual, it is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...Adventurer.pdf

Down to page 2-19 is the slide and jack info.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

To help ID that switch if the wiring is OEM, there should be some letters stamped on the wire sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f wire id.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	184234

If you find the label, the wire is likely to be stock and you can get the "from" and "to" info here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

On this list you can speed the search.
Hit "CTRL" and "F" at the same time to bring a dropdown search box. Put in the item you want to search for like wire "MMX" or something like "fan" and it tells you where those terms are in the list. It saves scrolling all the way down to "MMX", etc. !!!

Good chance if there is no label, it may have been added??
Old 09-26-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
A Wandering Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Sounds like there is a lot of confusion. Is this RV new to you, so that there may be things missed on how to do things like run out the slide?
Do you have the books on the RV and looked at how to do the slide. There are usually some steps that have to be done before we do the slides and if they are missed, things don't work!

First step seems to be to level the RV and leave the system on. Have you done that and did the leveling work correctly?

When you question what to fill the pump with, it really needs to be done correctly and using the right fluid as the manual says, so it really sounds like you may simply be guessing and that is really bad when dealing with something as different as an RV. Check the HWH manual for type to use and how to tell when it is full as it is easy to get it wrong if you open the wrong plug! Don't use the plug on the side!

A leak sealer sounds like it would NOT be something to put in a hydraulic system but the correct thing will be listed in the books.

A switch for the hydraulic pump, placed in the compartment with the water pump really doesn't sound like anything most would do. One would have to get out, go to the compartment to turn things on and then go back inside to level and do the slides???? Not a place most would want to put a switch for the slide!
There is already an ON and OFF switch on the controls, so I would not expect there to be one added later!

If you did not get the owners manual, it is here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...Adventurer.pdf

Down to page 2-19 is the slide and jack info.
We have had it for about a year and been using the levelers and slide successfully for well over a year, now.

I have the original and PDF copies of the manual. The manual, as well as the manual from HWH, does not give great or user-friendly references to addressing the "where" exactly of many of these things. Some of it's flat out wrong as far as locations. Online, most of HWH's photos are of a different generation of hydraulics, even if they are equivalents, I want to be sure before I make a move.

As for leak sealer, I will probably hold off on using it, but getting a tech from HWH to call back ("a wait list") is a long process. Since I wrote this I have properly, per the manual, checked the fluid level and found that it was only low-normal, so I might top it off, but not too much. Here is specifically what HWH says in the specific manual for my system:

"FLUID: HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil is recommended.
In an emergency Dexron automatic transmission fluid can be used.
DO NOT USE brake fluid or hydraulic jack fluid.
Use of these can damage seals.
Dexron automatic transmission fluid contains red dye and can cause staining should a leak occur."

There is a real shortage of ready, available HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil and HWH, itself, admits one can substitute a different brand. But, again, it's only low normal, so I can afford to wait. I sincerely doubt that most RV repair shops will insist on HWH when filling the hydraulic pump reserves of units they work on, so I suspect that HWH is being proprietary as much as it can with something as generic as hydraulics.

Welp, the switch is for the hydraulic pump. It was missing an inline fuse, I replaced the fuse and it is a manual override for the pump. Unfortunately, it does not fix my problem. The manual switch is typically used for pressure testing not overriding the whole system.

http://server51.hwhcorp.com/wp-conte...ds/ml18208.pdf
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, that all sounds good and gives a better idea of what's up. We get so many cases where it is something simple that I jumped to that too quickly!

Sorry about that!

Not yet clear if the pump is not turning on at all, though? Does the controllight up as it should and the leveleing work but not the slide or what specific problem do you have now if the fuse did not help?
I agree with no need for HWH and I think almost all of us will use just the brand we find in auto stores but look at what type the book recommends. I've never used anything specific but don't remember what exact type, so check that and go for handy!
Staining as a problem? Or is it a helpful way to spot and oozing leak?
Most hysdraulics I'm around do a certain amount of leaking as they are often dirty machines in rough work!

I have not had it but have read about the plugs right behind the control coming slightly loose. If possible to reach behind, maybe try pressing them tight?
Old 10-02-2022, 11:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Depending on the model.... there are 2 "weather proof" hu-raahs (fuses) on the pump. One is 30 amp and the other is 40 amp. One is for your jacks, the other is for your slides. By now yours should be in the "less than weather proof" condition.
I'd check those next.
dick

Tags
vent, switch, adventurer