Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Mudflaps necessary?

Our coach didn't come with mudflaps behind the rear wheels. Is there a chance that a stone could get kicked up and fly into the radiator? That is my only worry. With a long overhang I don't think that a stone would damage another vehicle behind me. The RV storage lot that we use has a lot of RVs and about half have mudflaps behind the rear wheels. Are mudflaps necessary or a waste of money? Thanks, Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Joe,
I think the existing rear wheel flaps on your coach do all of the work especially if you have a long overhang. One problem that you could have if you add a rear mud flap is that it needs to have 5 inch ground clearence or it will drag and stir up rocks that could hit your toad.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Joe
Are you asking about the mudflaps behind the duals or the long one that goes all the way across the back. You don't need the long one but you do need the smaller ones behind the duals to keep the rocks "under control" and protect body area behind the wheels.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Absolutely, you need a full length mudflap with that new rig of yours. With the tag axle, any debris picked up by the front tandem will be accelerated by the tag causing potential damage to the radiator, toad, or other vehicles following you.

It should come with one. I'm assuming you're talking about the new coach.

Dave
Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #5

In Ohio, they weren't required back in the '90s when we lived there and had a 1996 Dodge 3500 dually. When we moved back to Texas in 1997, the vehicle wouldn't pass a state safety inspection until mud flaps (for want of a better term) were installed behind the rear wheels. Texas law requires dual rear wheels to be covered to within a certain height from the road surface primarily to protect a following vehicle from being struck by a stone that gets caught between the dual rear wheels/tires. Dealers delivering a dually-equipped vehicle in Texas install mud flaps as part of the standard pre-delivery vehicle prep process.

So, from a legal perspective, it may vary by state.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have decided to have mudflaps added when I take the coach in for some warranty work on Monday. The coach came with no mudflaps of any kind and the law seems to require flaps directly behind the rear wheels, as close to the wheels as possible. Thanks for the replies, Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Joe
Are you asking about the mudflaps behind the duals or the long one that goes all the way across the back. You don't need the long one but you do need the smaller ones behind the duals to keep the rocks "under control" and protect body area behind the wheels.
Yes, it is the small ones right behind the duals that are missing. I have now made plans to get them put on. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the wheel kicks up a stone and it hits your radiator.. you may be in for a recore

If it hits the windshield of the Semi, or RV behind you and you have no mud flaps.. It can be much, much, more costly. (Legal issues there. It has been long enough since I read the paragraph at work that I won't go farther with this one)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

OP-From you last post it sounds like you have no flaps at all, is this right? If it is, aside from putting them back on, I would be finding out why they were removed? Why would anyone remove them in the first place? Perhaps, just perhaps there is a good reason for their removal of which I would be investigating. I am guessing you purchased this coach used and if so I would be talking with the former owner ASAP as to why they took them off. Again, just perhaps, the former owner had a blow out on the rear and it took out the wheel wells and bracket that hold the flaps on one side so he removed the other side with the thoughts of replacing all of them or he had a driveway with a low street which the flaps might have given him trouble. Just a few thoughts. Regardless, inquistive minds want to know. Good luck and nice coach.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun time View Post
OP-From you last post it sounds like you have no flaps at all, is this right? If it is, aside from putting them back on, I would be finding out why they were removed? Why would anyone remove them in the first place? Perhaps, just perhaps there is a good reason for their removal of which I would be investigating. I am guessing you purchased this coach used and if so I would be talking with the former owner ASAP as to why they took them off. Again, just perhaps, the former owner had a blow out on the rear and it took out the wheel wells and bracket that hold the flaps on one side so he removed the other side with the thoughts of replacing all of them or he had a driveway with a low street which the flaps might have given him trouble. Just a few thoughts. Regardless, inquisitive minds want to know. Good luck and nice coach.
You are correct...no flaps at all. I have no info on the former owner. I bought the coach from a wholesale RV dealer in Arizona. From the tag on the floor mats that were added to the steps I assume the coach is from Lazy Days in Florida. I looked at the wheel wells and can see no evidence of a repair, also there are no holes where mudflaps would have been. It appears that mudflaps were never there. I also checked for signs of a full width guard having been on the rear and cannot find any evidence of a guard having been there either. I bought the coach with 7,000 miles on it. The dealer has been in business for many years and was a wholesaler to other dealers only...at one time. They now sell to the public also and advertize on this forum. We bought there because the credit union we use said that their prices are true wholesale and lower than any other dealer. They only sell coaches that they can price lower than anyone else. We found this to be true. Kind of the Costco or Sams Club type of operation. If they can't beat other dealer's prices and still make a profit they won't handle that coach. They sell all brands. They do a lot of "fly and drive" sales and post videos of the customers on their site. Mud flaps are scheduled to be put on next week. All the dealers in Tucson are very busy with the Workhorse brake recall so I had to wait a few days. Thanks for the info, Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the wheel kicks up a stone and it hits your radiator.. you may be in for a recore

If it hits the windshield of the Semi, or RV behind you and you have no mud flaps.. It can be much, much, more costly. (Legal issues there. It has been long enough since I read the paragraph at work that I won't go farther with this one)
Damage to the radiator is what concerned me and caused me to schedule the coach for mud flaps after reading the posts. As far as damage to other vehicles goes...I have had plenty of broken windshields (not on this one yet) and twice got the license plate number of the truck responsible. When I reported it to the insurance company (State Farm) they said they don't attempt to go after other people..they just have it replaced. So I don't bother with plate numbers anymore. I think that must be the same for others...at least in this part of the country. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The OP has a diesel pusher, thus the chance for radiator damage, right?

Ours is a gas engine, so no radiator worries, but what about the underside of the coach? We have a brand new 2011 Vista 30W and it does not have mud flaps behind the duals, nor a full width guard at the back. I've been thinking of one of those horizontal guards below the tow bar instead of the full width guard. But should we also be installing the dually mud flaps?
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Joe
My guess is if you run a Google search on mud flap laws Arizona you'll probably read enough to convince yourself they are a necessary evil.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Joe
My guess is if you run a Google search on mud flap laws Arizona you'll probably read enough to convince yourself they are a necessary evil.
I did that and yes they are required. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Posted this on another discussion.

Eco-Flaps
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I'm legal now

I had the mud flaps installed right behind the rear duals. I'm legal now and I am no longer worried about kicking a stone up and into the radiator. It was a very busy day at the dealership with all the coaches coming in for the WH brake recall going on. I noticed that about 50% of the coaches had no mud flaps. You would think mud flaps would automatically come with a new coach to comply with the law, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

mud flaps

i've got mud flaps and a long flap across the back. somehow, i still broke a fog light lens on my jeep. thay are mounted on the bumper and i would think you could get damage to your tow radiator if it doesn't have to travel far.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep unlimited tow
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

In many states there is a law on the books that basically says your tires can not throw up any debris or water so that it hits the windshield of the vehicle behind you (NOTE: Your TOWED is part of YOUR vehicle so it does not count)

On a SEMI truck, this means you need mud flaps.

On a motor home.. depends on the design... On my coach... Needed

But on many.. I frankly do not see how it could happen.. Toss one up into a basement storage compartment, yes,, Your towed, perhaps, but the car behind you no way.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #19

Hey Joe -

You've got me curious. Who is this wholesale RV dealer?

Thanks
Bob
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
Hey Joe -

You've got me curious. Who is this wholesale RV dealer?

Thanks
Bob
Pedata RV in Tucson.

RV Sales Online - New and Used RV Dealer - Pedata RV Center