Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mouse deterrent

Has anyone had experience using lights under their RV to deter mice? I recently read a blog post on tips to reduce mice invasion. They suggested that the best deterrent was to light the underside of their RV at night and went so far as to say that they have had zero mouse problems since using some dusk to dawn solar lights. I've never heard of it but it makes some sense. TIA!
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes. Never had had mice with or without the lights so can't say they deter.

Other best practice my boondockers friends do and that I also follow is to park with the hood open so that the engine compartment gets moonlight / starlight. Also can't say if that deters but it's free protection.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would have serious doubt as I have often seen mice come into work places while lights are on and folks working! If lights, noise, and people do not stop them, I go for the next step and throw in some rat bars in any open spaces where they are out of sight, etc. but open to rodents.
Heard the recent story about the guy chasing a mouse around the fast food place where he finally dropped into the deep fat? Thinking lights do not deter them much.
And that bring the second thought on which rodents you will need to be aware of and fighting. During storage is where they most often get to me and that can be rats, mice, chipmunks/ground squirrels or just about any of the bushy tailed rat family. A good barn cat is really one good way to slow them down if it fits your situation.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can not speak about the light idea, other than if at a campground it would bother other campers.

I do have the plug in electronic things that make a high pitch noise that they do not like. I keep three of them plugged in all the time. I also for winter storage use moth balls put although out the coach. Knock on wood so far mouse and their friends have not visited.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mice deterrents

We did have mice get into our AC ducts and we had to get an exterminator. We had the rig searched and sealed (found a tiny, tiny crack that we believe was their entry).

After that, we used the lights underneath and Fresh Cab inside and in compartments. We have had no problems since. However, I can't attest to which -- if either -- of the deterrents worked, or whether sealing every little pinhole is the real solution!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
2016 View 24J Profile

Easy solution

Cut lengths of aluminized flashing material about 10” wide and wrap around all the wheels of your rig and tape the ends closed. It’s low tech and it really works. Especially good for long layup times.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by skes View Post
Has anyone had experience using lights under their RV to deter mice? I recently read a blog post on tips to reduce mice invasion. They suggested that the best deterrent was to light the underside of their RV at night and went so far as to say that they have had zero mouse problems since using some dusk to dawn solar lights. I've never heard of it but it makes some sense. TIA!
We have had mice and pack rat problems here on our Farm. They have caused untold damage to various RV's we have owned. After the last go around at a cost of $6000 to repair the damage, we decided we had to do something other than moth balls and lights (which didn't work) and found Harris Rodent Repellent. We haven't had a trace of mice since we started using it.. in the RV garage or in our house. I highly recommend it. I got ours on Amazon, but Home Depot carries it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Harris-2...R-20/306928763
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I live in the country and always had problems with mice getting into my vehicles. I bought solar string lights (72 ft each) that allow you to make lights run along the string. Have been using them for 2 years and never a problem in RV or other 2 vehicles..
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

as long as vehicle manufacturers are installing wiring with soy based insulation, rodents will be a problem. I just got my pickup back after 3 months in the shop dealing with rodent caused wiring issues.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ion/588638002/
Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mice?

Tried everything until I read about Peppermint. Cotton balls with a few drops of Peppermint oil in every outside compartment. If it’s going to be stored for any length of time I put them inside also and remove when in use. Adjust amount by your own tolerance to the smell.
Ttowntoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I live in pack rat/mouse country...20 years now. Of all the things I've tried...most of them mentioned in this thread...I have found none of them work except:
LED lights than blink. Yes you can get a string of them and plug them in, or you can get them with a tiny solar panel or battery and some come as motion detectors (made to hang some where but can be mounted to a piece of wood. I use these for my truck and 4 wheeler which are parked outside. NO problems. I also use, for garaged vehicles and for the two outside, Rid-a-Rat. About $70 and can be hardwired to vehicle battery with no drain on battery or battery operated. These are small...about the size of a 9V battery and blink constantly with a bright LED light. They have a very strong magnet that holds to the interior engine compartment or anywhere metal. THESE WORK! Mousetrap/rattraps work too. Please don't use poison. Mothballs, peppermint oil, scented packets I've tried them all and they don't work for me (glad if they do for someone elses mice). Invest in some LED lights that blink.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Started using Fresh Cab which are packets of balsam chips. Mice are gone. Fresh Cab comes with 4 packets which we place around the inside of the RV.
br1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Only problem is the smell seems to go away fairly quickly and I had to renew it about every 2-3 weeks.....
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #14

Shake Away Fox Urine Pellets... Does It Work On Mice?

Does this product keep rodents away? It's supposed to simulate fox/coyote urine.

The reviews for keeping rabbits, possums and small animals are favorable, but I'm not sure about field mice, which is my first concern.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Alternatively, can't I just spray malathion under my coach to repel mice and spiders for 2 weeks or more?

And who has used a motion detector with an strand of LED lights to keep the vermin away... with success or no success?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shake Away.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	174610  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Fresh Cab has worked for us. Easy to use and no mice problems.
br1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #16

I put out 5 conventional mouse traps with peanut butter for bait and the next morning, every trap was NOT sprung and the peanut butter was gone.

So I decided to spray insect spray around my tires and I decided to tank another person's advice:

* I utilized a old 25' LED rope cord and laid it underneath the RV.

* I then bought a mechanical timer to control the on-off-on light power. This switch has 24 settings and so I set it to flash "on" then "off" every 30 minutes.

* Then I put the peanut butter traps out as a test. I.e., if the peanut butter is still there the next morning then you know the mice are gone!

Here's the mechanical switch you can order on Amazon or you find one in the Walmart lighting isle for $5 each.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

* I did not use the Shake Away, but I know see they offer one for mice. ...And I would have gone this route if I did not already have an LED light string. I also wil be keep my eye-out for a plastic Owl or ***** Cat to place under my coach.

* Or perhaps this decoy Owl will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Rolan-Decoy-M...BGVYSR8HZSXZEV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shake Away Rodent Repellent.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	174672  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
2020 2108FBS

Traps

I bought a couple of these traps at my local Walmart. It has a compartment to put the bait in. The compartment has a small opening on its front that the mouse attempts to get the bait. It’s not possible to get the bait without tripping the trap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	95A89C0E-2B50-4D9D-867A-BD7F51E6D121.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	174679   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E8BB93F-F32B-4512-86F6-73A99496D843.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	174680  

TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Like highfeather, we live on several acres of rodent heaven. Pack rats, ground squirrels, harris' squirrels, gray squirrels, field mice, kangaroo rats and more. And I will second just about everything he said.

Our on-going war with rodents is documented in several earlier posts. They are prolific, ubiquitous, and possessed of a great deal of intelligence. Worthy adversaries!

We will and have tried any deterrent we hear of. We have come to rely on a multi pronged approach. At least monthly I crawl under our rig from stem to stern looking for and plugging ingress points. Steel wool (lead, if you can find it) is your friend. Destroy their habitat (within reason). Digging up packrat nests turns out to be exciting and good excercise. Amazing how often your shovel brings up a rattler. Traps work. We believe that the tried and true Victor snap traps beat out all the others we've wasted paychecks on. With peanut butter! Rodents will get trap shy, so we will set them out in various places for 2 or 3 days, then not set them for ten days or so. And we vary the locations a few feet also. This technique has really improved our harvest!

We don't use poison or gopher bombs.

Really like the scents. Especially the mints and balsum. Still got field mice, but the rig smelled nice.

We believe blinking rope lights work also. Really like the $10 Harbor Freight solar string lights. They are cheap, last forever and bright. (as the saying goes, "bueno, bonito y barato". They are only 16 lighted feet, so we have six under our rig. What I believe puts the rodents off (cuz steady light doesn't) is that random blinking of the various strings. Sometimes in unision sometimes not.

Fight on!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote