Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Mouse control

We boondock alot and lots of times get mice.
Can I get underneith and fill any opening with foaming expanding insulation?
Is there a great product for sealing out mice?
Thanks Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are spray products made specifically for mice and rats. This is just one such product.

https://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-GREAT-...997420&sr=8-11

Steel wool also works well.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That's the insulation foam I was talking about.

I did not know they made a roadent version. Wonder if it's any different then the house insul3 one.
I will leave post up for awhile to see if we can learn anything new.
Thanks for your great reply.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
2005 Minnie 22R

While storing I use solar powered rope lights(16 foot outdoor for brightness)in the engine compartment and underneath. I believe they work better on rats than mice. Just as an added precaution I set them to blink, theory being it further annoys the rats.

I've tried soap, pet hair, and fabric softener sheets only to find they make for good nesting material. Mind you we keep our MH on the side of our house and usually travel twice a month.

I have friends that use the solar lights underneath while at the campground and swear by the results.

Good luck you're not alone, everyone has this problem.
Tim Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:34 AM   #5

Kbwitt: What state are you camping in when you find mice all the time?

Note: 2020 is supposedly a very bad year for mice!

I also agree with Tim Craig when it comes to scaring mice away with a flashing LED rope light.

* Pick up a 40' strand at Walmart and a mechanical on-off-timer with over 48 settings so you can flash your lights at night.

* I drilled a hole in the back of my inverter cargo bay and fished the led lights inside, because that's where my diesel engine "Block Heater" wall plug is located. This wall socket is switched from inside on my Power Panel so it worked out very well. ...If you don't have one of these you will have to figure out where to plug in your lights. (Flashing them every 30 minutes is better.)

* I also bought a pair of owl decoys on Amazon and when I'm camping I place on near the front wheel and the second own near the rear owl.

Note: I went this route because those crafty field mice in Montana-Flathead Lake kept steeling the peanut butter off new mouse traps. In fact, I only caught one the whole week.

* You can also put some solar power motion lights out side.

* And I have left mouse bait out I think works good.

* And maybe a lid filled with pellets of Rid-x desiccant will kill the mice. They drink it and then die.

* Rats are more carnivorous. So to deal with these vermin you can leave a open bowel of Portland Cement (has lime it) and cheese in the dry power, with a bowl of water next to it. The Rat eats the cheese and lime and gets thirsty... drinks the water... and dies very when the cement sets up in their gut.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

There are Mouse Away products. Tried one that smelled like wintergreen, Worked very well for me. Guy in a store was asking about wintergreen oil. He said it worked to keep mice away. I have sprayed it in the Chieftian my wife bought and have not fond any signs of mice since.
kykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem. What worked for us was "Peppermint oil" I put some on cotton balls and put them throughout the basement. I put extra near the ports of entry like the power cable and water line. Our friends left and we have a nice smelling basement,

Cburg
Cburg is offline   Reply With Quote