Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mounting stuff on walls

I own a 39W Itaska Latitude. I want to hang a couple things on the walls and am concerned about how best to do this. One item is a clothesline and the other is a magnetic strip to hang knives on. Neither are light weight things. Where can I find info on how best to do this?

Thanks. JW
revjlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Molly bolts or toggle bolts. Choosing and Using All Types of Wall Anchors
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjlw View Post
I own a 39W Itaska Latitude. I want to hang a couple things on the walls and am concerned about how best to do this. One item is a clothesline and the other is a magnetic strip to hang knives on. Neither are light weight things. Where can I find info on how best to do this?

Thanks. JW
:welcome:

If "good" looks is not a problem make a plaque out of 3/8" plywood and glue it to the wall with contact cement. Pre-drill holes for screws to pass through in the block and screw it to help keep the glue tight over time. Don't forget to be certain that nothing is in the wall when the screws penetrate, like wires. A 4"x4" block mounted this way will add much strength to the wall. Paint or stain and a bevel on the edge will dress it up a bit.

Let us see some pictures of the finished work.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I wanted to mount additional hanging space on a wall in my Journey. It was on a hollow interior wall. The "panels" that Winnebago use on the walls are only about 1/8" thick and I am not sure how or even if they are attached to the metal wall framing by anything other than some type of adhesive. I was attaching a 1x6" piece of hardwood with the hangers mounted on it. I searched and found at Lowes what are called "hollow wall screws". These are just Molly Screws for thin walls. You need to drill a 5/16" hole to push the screw in and then tighten the screw until the supports are tight against the interior side of the wall. You then take the machine screw out and use it to attach whatever you want to put on the wall.
The ones I used were rated for wall thicknesses of 1/8" to 3/8" and when installed are extremely secure. They are rated for a 30 lb vertical load and a 20 lb load perpendicular to the wall. I wouldn't think that would be adequate for your clothesline but would be fine for a knife rack While i couldn't determine what the wall panels are made of, they are definitely some sort of light composite with no structural strength. I used 6 of the screws to hold the board in place and have had no issues. I dont think I would want to put any sort of load perpendicular to the surface on these walls. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used double-sided mounting tape to hold the magnetic strip for my knives. It is on the side wall of the kitchen slideout and I sure didn't want to drill any holes there - LOL. It has held for 2-1/2 years. I'm not sure what would be best for a clothes line.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Industrial grade velcro works great and is cheap. You just have to be careful when removing the item installed so it doesn't peel the wall covering away. It will also hold a lot of weight if you use the right grade. They sell various grades in rolls at Lowes.
Bosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hollow-wall anchors(1/8") work for me. Just remember to use a short screw to insert and lock it into the paneling - then use the OEM accompanying screw to actually mount what you want. Otherwise you risk punching a hole through the outside wall.
Do not cheap-out. Buy the best quality you can find, the cheapies will not hold to the paneling while inserting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote