Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

motor grill loose

One side of the motor/radiator grill is comming loose, this is on a 2011 meridian 40U , the grill is heavy metal and the sides are fiberglass. the epoxy has come un glued. the unit went out of warenty last sept. What does one use to bond it back?
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

One thing you can use and it is real strong JB Weld. Sold in hardware stores and some automotive stores. There are several types of JB Weld available ask for help and they should direct you to the right one. I have used the reg. quick dry JB and it worked for years on a rusted oil tank in my dump yard truck and is still holding. They say it's the worlds strongest epoxy. Good luck hope this helps you out.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Tom, sadly the failed adhesive has been a problem with my coach since 2004. I am amazed how in 2011 the folks at Winnebago still can't figure a solution. Yes, mine was covered under warranty only to fail again a year later. The best result is to use small stainless bolts and secure the frame in-place, I secured mine from the sides and you can't see the small bolt heads. The problem is your rear engine compartment hatch door expoy will also fail and fall out, I secured that hatch the same way. I also recommend using Mighty Putty or fiberglass and apply over every light bracket that has the Winnebago epoxy as they may also fall off. Make it a few day project and fix it yourself because the factory prep is poor and replacement OEM epoxy will probably still fail.

Hopefully your paint job will last more than 5 years, but that is another story.

Check this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/more...tml#post483788
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

I used 3M 5200 adhesive to fix my front and rear grills three years ago. Holding like a champ 10,000 miles later.

I removed the grills from the rig, marked the metal frame location on the Fiberglas and cleaned Fiberglas and frame real well. I then applied 5200 liberally and clamped overnight. Better than new.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It seems the bottom line is that almost any glue will work EXCEPT that which Winnebago uses.

They should be embarrassed, but it seems they could care less.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have used JB weld successfully on the same type of bonds, i.e., fiberglass to metal. However is is not a "quick setting" expoxy, so it will have to be clamped till it sets.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The slower curing JB Weld is best. If you prep the areas well and use the 12 - 24 hour cure JB Weld, that should hold it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies, I plan to remove the entire hood so ican clamp on a table.I am going to use marinetex epoxy If I can find a way to through bolt aesthetically I will also do that if not I will fiberglass over it
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I have used JB weld successfully on the same type of bonds, i.e., fiberglass to metal. However is is not a "quick setting" expoxy, so it will have to be clamped till it sets.
Barry, JB Weld does have a quick setting now. Thought you'd like to know.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
One side of the motor/radiator grill is comming loose, this is on a 2011 meridian 40U , the grill is heavy metal and the sides are fiberglass. the epoxy has come un glued. the unit went out of warenty last sept. What does one use to bond it back?
Having the grill problem on my '07 Meridian. After reviewing all of the posts & replies I believe I'll go with the small stainless screws installed from the side solution. It appears to be the most permanent.
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Resolved the issue on my '07 Meridian with 5 #8-32 1 1/2" stainless screws, nuts and washers after reading about all the long running adhesive issues with grills and front hood covers on many years of Journey and Meridian coaches I decided to go with the stainless steel solution. Installed 4 through the sides, and one on the front. Solves the problem and only creates an almost unnoticeable wart on the bottom of the grille.
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote