Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

OK so with all the tire talk I thought i would crawl under the MH to check my date codes. I had my tires last replaced on 3/2015, the date codes show 3/2014 so the tires were one year old when installed.

When counting down your years to replacement, Am I safe with just counting years in service? I was going to go 6 years out or next year. I only have 25,000 miles on them and they look great no cracking or other issues.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
Tires, big contributing factor of tire safety is tire pressure and the need to monitor it.
The weight carrying ability of the tire depends on the tire pressure. Tire pressure Monitor is the canary in the coal mine, things can go wrong badly if you have the wrong pressure, blowout upfront ? But most most people don't hear it sing because....they don't have the canary.

The canary is a $150 TPMS system that I would not run without on ALL Tires, Car, RV, TOAD. Why it's mandatory on cars but not RV's ? no idea.

As a sample below look at load chart for this XDS2 Michelin.
3100LBS Difference in load carrying ability from the minimum to the maximum pressure on lets say the steer axle.

TPMS are not mandatory on motor-vehicles with GVWR of 10,000# or more. Why???
Could it be that manufacturers didn't want to add to the price of the 175,000 RV???
Old 02-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Durden View Post
I'm new to RVing but while looking to buy, it seemed to me that everything I looked had had good tread. I was told by more than one seller that tread life is generally not the issue but UV exposure is; that tires should be replaced every x years (one I remember said 4) since the tire will be weakened even though the tread is still good. Based on that, I plan on replacing my tires with the same Toyo brand now on it.

Can anyone authoritatively comment on this, please? (even non-authorities are welcomne to put your two cents in! I usually do...
John, Tires have a seven year life span.
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I think it also can depend on the climate where you live. I live in Colorado where the sun can really be intense and it’s very dry, so I replace every 5 years.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #45
WinnieAdven38

John Durden - In general I have heard that the max you want to go on RV tires is 8 - 10 years. But it really depends on the condition of your tires as most RV tires will age out before they wear out. The main aging failure is UV deterioration of the sidewall rubber. Over years UV rays will dry out and allow the sidewall rubber to begin cracking. Eventually it becomes severe and tires must be replaced.

BUT - it is not inevitable. You can treat tires with UV protectants such as 303 - an aerospace product which helps prevent this damage. Also - you should know that some sidewall cracking is acceptable. Michelin has created a sidewall cracking chart, with photos, which shows various degrees of deterioration and what is acceptable or not.

But the best advice is to keep your tires up to proper PSI, make sure they are balanced and aligned (to prevent unusual tread wear) and treat them with a UV protectant.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #46
Winnebago Master

Arrow

I've donated my two cents to this and several other threads on the tire subject. Near and dear to my heart. I want great tire and brake reliability. Seems to me stopping is more important than going.

So one would think that I would just double up all lines and lay aft for movie call. But, nah! HappyHenri is on to something.

Our rig rolled out of assembly with Michelin 25580R-22.5 tires. Original owner had road hazard damage to the steering tires at about the five year mark so replaced all six tires (as I would have) with Dunlap 25570R-22.5 tires. We bought the rig a few months later and rolled those Dunlaps until April 2019. The Dunlaps were not checked or showing any other visible damage, but out of an abundance of caution we installed Cooper Roadmaster 25570R-22.5 tires. We went with 70's for the load carrying capability and Cooper's because of my years of being a labor relator for a major logistics company. Brands are not the real subject of this post, but I am willing to argue that if you buy me a tall gin and short tonic. Heck, if the gin is tall enough, I'll argue things I agree with!

To HappyHenri's point, I mention the three mfgr's because, prior to purchasing the Cooper's I simply picked up the phone and called the respective customer service numbers. What a concept! Got very similar answers to my queries.

Tire life depends on how you treat your tires. When mfg'd, tires have the UV inhibitor infused throughout the rubber. Sunlight will degrade the UV resistance on the outside surface. If that is not negated, the surface will check. Water will infiltrate. Degradation will occur. When you roll the tires, the protective inhibitor will migrate to the surface. About 10-15K per year will do it. But, that 10-15 needs to be spread out. If you park it most of the time, and travel intensely later, you lose the advantage. I roll my rig weekly (long enough to hold the engine at normal road temps for about 30 minutes), even when parked at home for that reason and for lube and liquid circulation.

If you maintain your tires at pressure, keep them protected from the sun and otherwise treat them as your first line safety equipt, you will blow past a flat 5, 7 or 10 year arbitrary life span. Beyond that, in spite of molded in mfg dates and other safety nets, there is "that" tire out there that is going to fail a week after install.

With that, I'm off for a movie/nap.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

I installed six Sumitomo ST718 245/75R22.5 tires on my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38R last summer before doing a 7000 mile cross county trip in it. When I bought it a year ago the coach had Chinese Dynatrac tires on it that were virtually unused but the date codes said they were over 6 years old so I replaced them. I always clean and treat my tires inside and out with the UV protectant 303, the aerospace product which protects and prolongs tire life. I always keep them covered from the harsh Arizona sun we have here at 5300 feet of elevation here.

I already had bought the Sumitomos for my Monaco LaPalma motorhome because the Bridgestone tires on it were over 7 years old and even though they still looked like new I was ready to replace them. I got a smoking deal on a sale from Simple Tire on Ebay for just $239 each, $1460 for all six tires with free shipping. Then the like new, 12,000 mile Adventurer popped up for sale locally unexpectedly so I bought it. I then offered the Monaco for sale with the Sumitomo tires installed for an additional charge at my cost. Surprisingly the new owner declined the tires, even though I warned him about their age and recommended their replacement. So I had them mounted, balanced and installed on the Adventurer instead. I have had no complaints, they balanced out, handle well and run smoothly. I run 100 lbs of air pressure at max load of 22,000 lbs.

When I replace them, I'll go to Toyo's because they get rave reviews and my local tire shop recommends them.

If you can't find a decent price on them, give Ebay a look. I paid about $250.00 for mounting and balancing the Sumitomos.

Toyo M-154 All- Season Radial Tire-245/75R22.5 131L
6 @ $299.95 = $1799.70 + tax with free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyo-M-154-...BeDDA9&vxp=mtr

Sumitomo ST719 245/75R22.5 134/131L G
6 @ $325.97 = $1955.82 + tax with free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sumitomo-ST...xeVC5q&vxp=mtr
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #48
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

I bought 6 made by Iron Man, owned by Hurcules. I guess they are truck tires. But hey they were $1820 out the door (meaning fees, taxes, balancing etc included). I put them on the tax axle and the rear. My front ones (steers) are still Michelens. I think I'll stick with Michelens as my Steer tires. But yeah there's nothing wrong with using truck tires, I mean we have air ride and air suspension, to tell you the truth I really can't feel a difference.

Tags
tires