Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #21
WinnieAdven38

You should try Toyo. They are at least as good as Michelin, for a fraction of the cost (~ $200 less each).

I got 2 of these for the front of my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer last summer to replace my Michelin 235/80R 22.5. The size is only very slightly different (1/16" less in diameter, but slightly wider. And the Toyos actually weight a few pounds more. Ordered from Amazon and had them shipped (free freight with Prime) to local tire store that could handle truck tires and they mounted and balanced. Now, over 5,000 miles later they have worked great and I am very pleased with them.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #22
WinnieAdven38

There are only a few brands of tires I would put on my RV - Michelin, Toyo or Continental. Have heard too many bad problems with Goodyear (bad wear, going out of balance, etc), and would not trust all the other no-name brands.

You should consider Toyo. They are at least as good as Michelin, for several hundred$ less each. Available from Amazon.

I got 2 Toyo for the front of my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer last summer to replace my Michelin 235/80R 22.5. The size is only very slightly different (1/16" less in diameter, but slightly wider. And the Toyos actually weight a few pounds more. Ordered from Amazon and had them shipped (free freight with Prime) to local tire store that could handle truck tires and they mounted and balanced. Now, over 5,000 miles later they have worked great and I am very pleased with them.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Another vote for toyo's

Did 8000 mile trip with toyo's last summer. No problems, ran quiet and smooth.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I get all my tires for my car and RV from Costco . My 24’ Winnabago View has light truck tires on it, dualies. I’ve had Michelin’s and Bridgestone on it and prefer the Bridgestone. The ride on the Michelin’s seemed a little smoother but I think that’s because the tires are softer and don’t wear as long. Checking the tire pressure often and paying the expense to rotate the tires every year works well for me.

Many Costco’s do not have bays big enough to hold RVs. Twice I’ve bought the Tires at Costco and had another tire place install them for $100-150. I still come out far ahead dollar wise.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

I have been running on the Hercules tires for two years. They seem to be wearing well. There is no road noise. The outside walls are looking good after sitting all winter. I have them covered when parked. They handle well in rainy conditions. Hold the road well. I am pleased with them.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Toyo Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
Over $2000 is a lot of penneys look at toyo.
Love my Toyo tires. Best buy for the money. Handle great, quiet, good ride.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I have continental tires. Had my 1st flat after 20,000 miles. Having FMCA saved me $200 for the one tire.
jabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up Tires

I've had Toyo tires on our 2001 Itasca Horizon 36' for 6 years now approx 35,000 miles down to Florida from Nova Scotia all the way to the west coast Texas, Arizona, Mexico tru rain, snow & ice & Florida sun no problems thus far, maintains it's air pressure all year, Truckers swear by them good choice & more reasonable in price.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Most tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires after about seven years, regardless of wear. On the first used motorhome I bought, the rear tires were about five years old and the front ones were a little less than ten years old. One of the front tires started severe bouncing at highway speed when I was about 500 miles from home. The campground manager recommended St. Lucie Battery and Tire. The service manager at the tire store showed me evidence of where the tire plies were separating. He had one of his guys drop everything he was doing and install new front tires.

When I bought the Winnebago 30B Sightseer I have now, I checked the DOT manufacturing date codes and found that all the tires were over seven years old, although they looked very good. I replaced them immediately. I got six Toyo 225 X 19.5 installed for about $2000.

To read the DOT date code, look on the sidewall near the rim. The code is on only one sidewall, so if you don't see it, look on the other side. Following "DOT" you will see four numbers. The first two numbers will indicate the week of the year they were manufactured and the last two numbers will indicate the year. For example "3115" would mean that the tires were manufactured on the 31st week of 2015.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Durden View Post
I'm new to RVing but while looking to buy, it seemed to me that everything I looked had had good tread. I was told by more than one seller that tread life is generally not the issue but UV exposure is; that tires should be replaced every x years (one I remember said 4) since the tire will be weakened even though the tread is still good. Based on that, I plan on replacing my tires with the same Toyo brand now on it.

Can anyone authoritatively comment on this, please? (even non-authorities are welcomne to put your two cents in! I usually do...
I've always heard seven years. I can tell you I had a boat trailer in a garage that was never opened, that had a single window with drapes where the tires literally disintegrated sitting there for about 10 years. The tires were older than that, but it does show age alone will ruin tires.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Toyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brewer View Post
Buying a used motor home that has out of date tires 255/80R / 22.5 Michelin's A tire shop gave me a price of $4595,26 for six, balanced and installed. Another option is $2493.93 for Hercules Strong Guard HRA 16 ply for$2493.69. I have never heard of these tires. Help with purchase please
Thanks,
Gary
As others have said look into Toyos I put them on my 38’ Adventurer about 4 years ago and they ride better and are quieter then the Michelin’s that it had before. For at least $1500 less.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Replacement Tires

I am a retired Transportation Director for a school district with over 160 buses. We use only Hankook tires when we replace. We have had great results and prices are very reasonable. Now granted it is a volume price but I just bought 4 for my MH and am pleased so far. At least it is another option and they are NOT Chinese. Do stay away from Chinese manufactured tires...blowouts!!
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Last year I replaced my Michelon XRV 80R235-22.5 tires through the Michelon Advantage program that is part of my FMCA and WIT memberships. The tires were 432.14 with the F.E.T. (tax) plus $40 (mount and balance) plus state sales tax and valve stems for a just around $500 per tire. Not bad considering the tire MSRP is $495.00. If you are a FMCA member they have similar programs for Hankook and Continental Tires. Might be worth the membership fee to get the deals. One local dealer quoted the tires with mount and balance just over $600 each. To get the Michelon deal I traveled 30 miles to a truck repair center and was in and out in three hours.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Last year I replaced my Michelon XRV 80R235-22.5 tires through the Michelon Advantage program that is part of my FMCA and WIT memberships. The tires were 432.14 with the F.E.T. (tax) plus $40 (mount and balance) plus state sales tax and valve stems for a just around $500 per tire. Not bad considering the tire MSRP is $495.00. If you are a FMCA member they have similar programs for Hankook and Continental Tires. Might be worth the membership fee to get the deals. One local dealer quoted the tires with mount and balance just over $600 each. To get the Michelon deal I traveled 30 miles to a truck repair center and was in and out in three hours.
Our local tire guy told us about FMCA. We joined for $50 and used them to purchase Michelin tires for hundreds of dollars in saving. Never use FMCA but happy with the Michelins. https://www.fmca.com/
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
Our local tire guy told us about FMCA. We joined for $50 and used them to purchase Michelin tires for hundreds of dollars in saving. Never use FMCA but happy with the Michelins. https://www.fmca.com/
Thanks everyone, while getting tires changed, I'm being told that since the coach has been sitting out in the Arizona sun for over a year I need have the bearings repacked, More than likely there dried out
Gary Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Love my Hercules Strong Guard tires.

C
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #37
Let's kill some bugs!

I can't speak for 22.5" tires, but on 19.5" tires it's a mistake to assume truck tires are a bargain, just because they cost less. Those can have a very harsh ride in RV's in the 18,000 to 22,000 GVW range, such as on F53 chassis. You definitely don't want tires rated for more than what your vehicle weighs. Although I don't recommend Michelin, their RV tires ride smoother because the side walls usually have less plies, making them a plush ride. I think that's why my dad and I have both had bad luck with Michelin, less plies. There's a happy sweet spot for sidewall and tread plies for RV tires. Truck tires are typically much beefier for sidewalls and tread for extra weight capacity, resulting in a rougher ride. I also believe truck tires are not designed with comfort in mind, and are design more for carrying weight rating, cost, and longer wear with harder rubber. As most of us know, we rarely wear out the tread because of age, replacing every 8yrs or sooner, depending on how the tires look, and if you store the RV indoors.

Last year I bought some Hankook AH11 tires for my FORD F53 based RV, 33' long. Those are awesome tires, they ride very nice, good price. Unfortunately I think that model tire is EOL now. Tire dealer said Hankook replaced it with AH35 model. However the AH35 model is not good for my F53 RV because of the added plies and added weight rating, even though it was the same size tire. There were reports of rough ride for the AH35 model, so Hankook is not as good for RVs anymore. Made in Korea, a good quality tire, but they have abandoned the RV market apparently.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:11 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Lots of posts on this topic. I am coming due soon. Will be going with the Toyo lots of good reviews and the cost is fair.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Tire manufactures dislike selling tires for RV purposes, RV's sit around a lot causing nothing but problems. Often baking in the sun or in -30 without movement for months on end and generally sitting or driven far beyond the 6 year mark. a dry rot heaven.

Look around in the campground and checkout the tire date codes on some RV's, those same
guys will fly by you at 80MPH with their 10 year old tires wondering why it all came apart.

Previously on our Class A I kept Michelin Delivery/Curb tires installed, specifically designed to take a beating, but yes expensive to swap them every few years.

Tires if you're safety minded will always be a significant dollar amount of your maintenance plan.

If you're not sure or comfortable but want to save a few bucks, put "better" brand up front, rest in the rear.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Tires, big contributing factor of tire safety is tire pressure and the need to monitor it.
The weight carrying ability of the tire depends on the tire pressure. Tire pressure Monitor is the canary in the coal mine, things can go wrong badly if you have the wrong pressure, blowout upfront ? But most most people don't hear it sing because....they don't have the canary.

The canary is a $150 TPMS system that I would not run without on ALL Tires, Car, RV, TOAD. Why it's mandatory on cars but not RV's ? no idea.

As a sample below look at load chart for this XDS2 Michelin.
3100LBS Difference in load carrying ability from the minimum to the maximum pressure on lets say the steer axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOAD.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	172871  
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires