Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Duner: The paint has held up well. However, I do have a small section where the Eternabond edge has curled up due to my helper that refused some direction. After he laid it down he attempted to pull it up and re-do it. That's a no no.
All in all it looks okay.
At least is wont leak or come loose. in the end, I'm glad I did it.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Gary CA: Just returned from Yuma. I'm leaving for points east in a couple of weeks so don't know if I'll have time to glue before we depart. I have a bunch of bungies to take along.
Thanks for the offer; hopefully we can do that, I can certainly use your expertise.
Cliff
Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2006 Adventurer 37B that we have had more than our share of poor workmanship issues. About six months ago I noticed that the front cap was pulling away from the coach on the driver side as evidenced by the bare white fiberglass showing. Now I have the same thing happening on the passenger side. While at the dealer last week I had them look at the cap and they told me that the coach is out of warranty. Who in their right mind would depend on adhesive to secure something this large and heavy that is continually subjected to twisting and other stresses. A friend has a 2007 Adventurer with an additional flange about 1-1/4" wide that appears to be screwed to the side body panel and extends over the front cap to apparently hide the fact that the cap is coming loose. This appears to follow the theory "out of site, out of mind". It's not a fix but a cheap cover-up. Do the caps ever come completely loose?
Lee and Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Winnabago Journey has also come unglued. On the last trip I literally had to gather the unglued top engine cover parts and place them in storage. Also I had to use duct tape to hold on the rear cap.
I have read all the comments of those more experienced that me with this problem and have decided on a different approach than glue.

I used fiber glass with epoxy resin for fiber glass to embed the metal brackets into the fiber glass rear cap and top engine cover. I am convinced that this approach was the most difficult. Lots of grinding of both fiberglass and paint on metal brackets. It took 3 days. I made lots of mistakes that resulted in epoxy resin ending up everywhere.

I took this approach because I wanted a permanent solution. I believe that this is longer lasting than most glues, notwithstanding the excellent glues and results reported by forum members. I wanted to share this with you all as an alternative that is a permanent bond.

good luck

jim & debbie and 2 cocker spaniels
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

We have had the generator door rebonded at least twice. The rear cap from the radiator down rebonded as well. The first owner must have had a mishap. It cost me 700+ to get that all redone. That was last fall so we'll see how well it lasts.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Update: The same adhesive problems are showing up in the 2007 & 2011 models in this forum. I would expect that everything in between has had some of the same experience.
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuney-GA View Post
Update: The same adhesive problems are showing up in the 2007 & 2011 models in this forum. I would expect that everything in between has had some of the same experience.
I would think the folks at Winnebago would read these forums to learn about failing products.
How many repeat customers are looking elsewhere?
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

My new 2015 Forza has lost the hood "prop" for the generator door due to glue failure, so the problem still exists. Worse, I just noticed that the wiring for the passenger's tail lights was actually held in place using duct tape. I say "was" as the duct tape has already failed at 3,000 miles. I'm afraid to look at the driver's side (access to them are not easy). Anyone else have this issue?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:57 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
held together with double face tape

recently I had to remove the rear bumper assembly for a repair. Made a sharp turn from a parking space and kind of squished the MH against a guardrail. I was prepared to repair this as it is ABS and easily fixable.
What I found after taking off the entire rear panel was that winnebago used double face tape to hold the molded ABS stiffeners to the main panel. 50% of the tape was loose and the entire panel needed to be rebuilt. I used ABS Solvent glue to reattach the stiffeners after making my repairs to the crack and broken corner.

In another event found the front windshield extruded plastic receiver strip that the rubber cover molding around the front windshield pushes into, is also held in place with double face tape. With time, water finds it way under the tape causing rust and eventually loosening the bond and adding to the continued rusting problem with the windshield frame.

Where do they find these quality control people. worse yet why do they do the same thing over and over when everyone else is complaining about it.

Since I am running a 15 year old machine my job is find it - fix it - and make it better. At least I am not alone in the journey.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

You diesel drivers don't have the market on Winnebago quality problems. Us gas guzzlers have our share as well. I have an 05 Adventurer and so far have had both windshields with leaky, rusty frames, sidewall fiberglass panels crazing, fiberglass roof edges loosing all the clear coat paint and developing little cracks, roof to sidewall joints sealant dried up and had to be completely stripped, cleaned and resealed and now the latest.......the right side front hood attach bracket fell off the inside where it was glued to the fiberglass. I'm sure the left side bracket is ready to fall off as well.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Same adhesive problems with our 2014 Itasca Sunstar. Just crap quality control, and come time to upgrade RV we'll be looking somewhere besides Winnebago.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

But there has to be a more attractive fix!!![/QUOTE]

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I did both the front and back with SS button head 1/4 " bolts. The coach was painted after but is you want to you can paint the bolt heads with touch up paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front access door.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	112408  
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

On my 2002 Journey I also ended up using some 1/4" stainless cap screws on the rear engine access door and on the entire lower front clip (which started to come unglued in about year 10 of the coach's life). I did not think the small stainless screw heads looked any more out of place than other fasteners and hardware elsewhere on the coach exterior.

All of the metal brackets holding similar pieces/panels on my current rig are glassed into the panels. That is how Winnebago should do it. Too many folks report stuff falling off their Winne's and shame on Winnebago for not addressing this issue over many model years (along with windshield frame rust).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I have written previously about the brackets falling off my MH. I used JB Weld epoxy to repair and so far it has held. I just discovered a bracket that the dealer repaired with Winnebago adhesive has now failed.