Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Monitor Panel Not Working 2004 Suncruiser 33V

I have a 2004 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 33V

My monitoring lights for Black, Grey, Fresh Water and Propane are not Working, plus thermostat not working properly. When put in AC Mode, fan comes on.

Thank you in Advance! Peggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230113_111227.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	184970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230113_111218.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	184972  

Peggy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That RV has a number of options that may change small points but there are a couple items which you might check as a first step.

Do you have a light at the monitor panel, possibly on the ceiling above? If so, does it work?
It is on the same circuit as many other things and the monitor panel, so if that light works, you can move beyond checking one breaker that might be involved.

There is a breaker panel that has the 12Volt breakers on two rows, top and bottom with six on each row. So if we look at the front and count left to right this breaker should be number five on the top row. Check it if the light doesn't work!

Then there is a breaker for the level indicators on the bottom row, so check it while there and look at the number one (bottom left) on the bottom row.
Try clicking them off and then fully all the way on as they sometimes look good but need reset fully.

This is the breaker panel when viewed from the BACK side:
Click to get a better view but when looking at the front, we have to remember to switch left and right!! Just for fun!

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	184974

It may be labeled but the labels often leave out lots of circuits when one breaker feeds so many as JA does, so ignore if it says it is something else as it does feed several things like water pump switch and other lights.
JB circuit is for the level sensors.

I would be surprised if it were two breakers off but then surprises are common.
What I might lean toward is there is a big plug behind the monitor panel and it may not be making good contact on all the connections.
But maybe check the easy stuff first before how to pull the panel or get to those plugs?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
That RV has a number of options that may change small points but there are a couple items which you might check as a first step.

Do you have a light at the monitor panel, possibly on the ceiling above? If so, does it work?
It is on the same circuit as many other things and the monitor panel, so if that light works, you can move beyond checking one breaker that might be involved.

There is a breaker panel that has the 12Volt breakers on two rows, top and bottom with six on each row. So if we look at the front and count left to right this breaker should be number five on the top row. Check it if the light doesn't work!

Then there is a breaker for the level indicators on the bottom row, so check it while there and look at the number one (bottom left) on the bottom row.
Try clicking them off and then fully all the way on as they sometimes look good but need reset fully.

This is the breaker panel when viewed from the BACK side:
Click to get a better view but when looking at the front, we have to remember to switch left and right!! Just for fun!
Attachment 184974

It may be labeled but the labels often leave out lots of circuits when one breaker feeds so many as JA does, so ignore if it says it is something else as it does feed several things like water pump switch and other lights.
JB circuit is for the level sensors.

I would be surprised if it were two breakers off but then surprises are common.
What I might lean toward is there is a big plug behind the monitor panel and it may not be making good contact on all the connections.
But maybe check the easy stuff first before how to pull the panel or get to those plugs?
Thank you so much. All your information has been extremely helpful. I followed all your instructions and doggone it I think I have to check the plug from behind the panel
Old 01-14-2023, 07:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bummer!

I can dig up some more info n what pins to check if it helps. How do you test? Are you using a meter to test for 12V and ground?
That is often a good thing as it can beeither the battery or theground side which is open/not getting there.
I will dig a bit to find which pins on the plugs are the one to check.

A little info n the way the thermostat seems to work "bad" may help.
When we turn on the heat, the thermostat acts as a switch and when it calls for heat, sends a 12 volt signal to the furnace and that starts the 12volt fan motor as a first step. That seems to be out and logical if the 12 volt wiring is not good.

But the fan on the air is different, in that it uses 110AC power that is at the air unit. So the 110AC power sounds like it is working, so we need to find why there is a problem with the 12 volt DC!

That is where I lean toward some parts of the connections being okay while other parts as not making good contact. That can be harder to find as it is a smaller thing than just looking in and finding a plug totally disconnected.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Maybe an easier place to start would be to get the thermostat wires out by taking it off the wall?
I would expect there to be wires built on the thermostat itself and then "maybe" those wires go to a plug with the Winnebago wires. Maybe 6-8 inches of wire to pull out of the wall to find the plug?
So if you pull the cover off and find a couple screws, the wires may pull up out of the wall as easier than getting the whole monitor off the wall???? Guessing there!

Click these drawings to get a better view!

If you can get to the thermostat wires they show as being like this:

Name:	therm.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	184978

We can use this chart to Match wire ID that is stamped on the wires.

Name:	therm1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	184979

This chart shows what each wire should go "from" and "to" and that lets us know what they should do.
When looking at the plugs, note that they are made so that some of the pins have flat sides and others round. That makes it not possible to plug them backwards but also lets us look fo which pin is number 1, 2, or 3.
Also we may find the wire ID or use the colors of wire.
Wire JB at both the furnace and the thermostat should have 12 Volt DC as it comes from the breaker to both, so that may be a good first step to check??
Or it could be just a wire loose at the thermostat?
Old 01-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Maybe an easier place to start would be to get the thermostat wires out by taking it off the wall?
I would expect there to be wires built on the thermostat itself and then "maybe" those wires go to a plug with the Winnebago wires. Maybe 6-8 inches of wire to pull out of the wall to find the plug?
So if you pull the cover off and find a couple screws, the wires may pull up out of the wall as easier than getting the whole monitor off the wall???? Guessing there!

Click these drawings to get a better view!

If you can get to the thermostat wires they show as being like this:

Attachment 184978

We can use this chart to Match wire ID that is stamped on the wires.
Attachment 184979

This chart shows what each wire should go "from" and "to" and that lets us know what they should do.
When looking at the plugs, note that they are made so that some of the pins have flat sides and others round. That makes it not possible to plug them backwards but also lets us look fo which pin is number 1, 2, or 3.
Also we may find the wire ID or use the colors of wire.
Wire JB at both the furnace and the thermostat should have 12 Volt DC as it comes from the breaker to both, so that may be a good first step to check??
Or it could be just a wire loose at the thermostat?
Oh my gosh, you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks so much! To answer your earlier question, the light above the panel quick working months ago, but everything else worked up until a few days ago.

Please send additional info you think i may need

Lucky my best friends here are RV Technicians, so gonna pass your info to them, because this is getting beyond my comfort level. Lololol

Thanks �� again!!!Peggy
Old 01-14-2023, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The best DIY person is the one who knows when to say "enough"!

Will gather some more info on how the power should get from the breaker to the monitor panel as it may have several other plugs/ connections where it could come loose.

Meanwhile, I found a better view of the breakers that shows what I was talking about it being reversed when we look at some of the drawings. This ID's the correct breakers better.

Click to view!

Name:	33v breakers.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	184982

I think I have the path for the circuit JA worked out from breakers to switch to light and back to ground. The idea is that this seems to have less involved than the monitor and I'm pretty sure easier to get the switches and light out to check if power is getting to them.

Leaving breaker, it goes to the switch. The next two pictures are of the same switch, just one as drawing and the other more like the switch is when you look at the back. one as electrical drawing and the other like the real switch?

Name:   33v switch.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.2 KB

At the switch it has wires like this and should also have labels on the wires.
After the switch, the ID changes from JA to JJV and then the wire goes to a plug behind the monitor panel to meet wires going on up to the ceiling light.

Name:	33v 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	184983

So the big picture is that power from breaker leaves on JA to switch, if swtich is turned on, power is connnected from JA to JJV and goes to the plug. If plug is good, it goes to light and through bulb to JP which takes the circuit back to ground and makes the full circle we call a good circuit!

Reason I keep coming back to checking the light is that iot is all most all stuff that we can get to better than the whole panel coming out but still that may be needed???

I also see an outside entertainment center on JA. IF you know about whether it is working or not, that can also be a clue. If the entertainment is working the breaker has to be good!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33v light.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	184985  
Old 01-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

DIY yes, "Enough" lolololol! You're Funny ��

Thanks so much! Peggy