Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The drivers side mirror vibrates so badly that it is difficult to see anything clearly in it. Are there adjustments that one can make to tighten the mirror internally. The mirror attachment to the coach seems very firm.

I have considered that this may be a symptom of another problem e.g. front end vibration. However, I am not feeling any front end vibration plus the passenger side mirror is fine so I think my real problem is just in the mirror.

Any Suggestions?

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The drivers side mirror vibrates so badly that it is difficult to see anything clearly in it. Are there adjustments that one can make to tighten the mirror internally. The mirror attachment to the coach seems very firm.

I have considered that this may be a symptom of another problem e.g. front end vibration. However, I am not feeling any front end vibration plus the passenger side mirror is fine so I think my real problem is just in the mirror.

Any Suggestions?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have the same situation, just figured it was another of Winnebago's goofs in the way things are put together. Will be watching for responses for a fix.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just took my Itasca in for some warranty work. That was one of the items I wanted them to look at. As this is my first motorhome, I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing for mirrors that size. The mirror bracket is secure, it just seems to be the glass itself that vibrates. The drivers side vibrates more than the passengers side on mine too. It is in the shop as we speak so I will let you know within the next few days what they had to say or did about it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Dan, do you happen to know the brand name of the mirrors that are mounted on your coach? A call or email to the manufacturer may provide a solution to your problem. The mirrors on mine have a set screw on the mounting area beneath the mirror head. The screw head faces toward the coach. When mine were vibrating I checked the head and it seamed tight. Put an allen wrench on the set screw and tightened it about 1/4 turn and it is now stable. Hope your fix is just as simple.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A allen wrench that fit the mirrors came with my last coach. I don't think there was one with my 2005 but it is a standard size. Kazoo Tom is correct in that adjustment screw will solve your problem.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
I was told at this years GNR that wind hitting the front of the mirror housing could cause this, and to adjust the mirror in small increments left or right using the set screw on the side. He also said that right behind the mirror face, in the gap between mirror and the housing, are flat metal "springs" that can be carefully bent to put more pressure on mirror face to help vibrations. Maybe you can try both ways to see if you get an improvement. John
Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There are some flat metal, spring steel,"paddles",(for the lack of a better word), behind the mirror surface. These paddles can be adjusted to apply more force against the mirror glass which in turn will help stabilize the reflective surface. I had to do it to mine about 4 years ago. I ran the mirror as far one direction as it would go and pulled the paddle forward, then the other side. It helped, but did not completely eliminate vibration. Be careful, the paddles rust and could easily be broken off. Of course make sure the allen screws are tight on the mount.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with the passenger side mirror. As others have indicated, checked tightness of the allen screws and that solved the problem. Simple fix for what could be a safety issue.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
Dan, do you happen to know the brand name of the mirrors that are mounted on your coach? A call or email to the manufacturer may provide a solution to your problem. The mirrors on mine have a set screw on the mounting area beneath the mirror head. The screw head faces toward the coach. When mine were vibrating I checked the head and it seamed tight. Put an allen wrench on the set screw and tightened it about 1/4 turn and it is now stable. Hope your fix is just as simple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom,
The mirrors are Velvac mirrors with a large mirror on top and a smaller convex mirror on the bottom 1/3 section. I did get an allen wrench in the Owners Manual Material. I have a set screw for "Rough Alignment" for the mirror rotation adjustment but this seems to only control the rotation of the mirror so you can make gross adjustments. It is on the arm and does not affect the tightness of either the large mirror or the convex mirror.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
There are some flat metal, spring steel,"paddles",(for the lack of a better word), behind the mirror surface. These paddles can be adjusted to apply more force against the mirror glass which in turn will help stabilize the reflective surface. I had to do it to mine about 4 years ago. I ran the mirror as far one direction as it would go and pulled the paddle forward, then the other side. It helped, but did not completely eliminate vibration. Be careful, the paddles rust and could easily be broken off. Of course make sure the allen screws are tight on the mount. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homer,
Since I don't seem to have set screws that will tighten the mirror, I will check to see if I can get to the springs and tighten it that way.

Before doing, I will confirm that I have not missed a set screw that will make to tighten the mirror.

Thanks,

Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

In reviewing all the responses, maybe the set screw being referenced is indeed the set screw to make the head rotation for rough adjustment. Just in case, I will tighten this set screw to see if that works.

This screw is actually on the arm and not the mirror. Is this the set screw that several of the responders were making reference to or do you have another one?

Thanks,

Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Lets see 5 MH's and all some mirror vibration. Worst set up was on a 87 Alegro that had truck type West Coast mirrors on it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

rvten: make that 6 with the same problem. Thanks Homer, I will check that tomorrow. I know the allen screws will not fix my problem but your idea might be just the ticket.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Dan Bowman: It is true the set screw is not on the mirror head itself and really has very little to do with the mirror, other than secure it to the mounting post. However if that set screw is loose you will get wobble in your mirror head. Check for the little springs behind the mirror for glass stability if it is a Velvac mirror.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
Dan Bowman: It is true the set screw is not on the mirror head itself and really has very little to do with the mirror, other than secure it to the mounting post. However if that set screw is loose you will get wobble in your mirror head. Check for the little springs behind the mirror for glass stability if it is a Velvac mirror. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homer, I will definitely try this first. I did make an adjustment on both mirrors right after I purchased the Journey. It is very possible that I did it to myself.

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Dan,

Homer hit it on the head. I just picked up my coach and they wrote in the work order that they "tightened the anti-vibration clips". You should see a portion of the clips on the outside edge of the mirror itself. The Service Rep. described the fix just as Homer stated. The mirrors are much better now but they do still move a bit. Nothing like before though.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

MeterMan: So glad it worked out for you. Those little tabs do make a difference.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Here and I thought that I had a rear tire balancing issue that made my mirrow vibrate so much. You will feel the seat of your pants vibrating for the rear tire balancing and your steering wheel vibrating if it is the front wheels that need balancing. I'll have to check these tabs behind the mirrow and see if this works. Thanks a million!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

My left mirror vibrates very bad and no movement on the right mirror. It's been to several dealers all they do is tighten down the nut on the bolt that attaches the head to the arm. It still vibrates.

I think there is a bushing missing or shot in my mirror. The glass itself appears to be stable in the head. When it warms up I'll try to bend the little brackets inside the head.

Very frustrating!!!!!!!!

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote