Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Doug,

Ask your Dealer to check his service bulletins. My Service Rep. told me they had received a service bulletin a while back from Winnebago on the vibrating mirrors and the proper way to fix it.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I too have a very annoying wiggle in the driver's side mirror. I e-mailed Velvac for this problem mirror and got a responce back the next day with instructions for the correction. The tech says the problem is the motor mounting screws are loose and this vibrating on the mount is being reflected back to the mirror. Directions are to remove the flat glass and tighten the mounting srews. He attached a control drawing the mirror unit assembly and directions with drawing for the mirror glass removal/replacemnt. I have not had a chance to perform this but I at least have some guidance and a name to contact at Velvac if needed.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Dan,

I think the info Mr G got from the GNR might be what is happening. I have the same issue - the driver side vibrates more than right. I think the entire body of the mirror is vibrating causing the mirror image to distort. I can change the amount of vibration by moving my driver side door window position. Less vibration fully up, most vibration fully down. The air dynamics seem to be the source of the problem. I have checked my driver side mirror and all seems very tight.
Primetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #24

Velvac online tech support - technical documents:

http://www.velvac.com/tech.htm

If anyone needs to replace the mirror head, you might try Ryder Fleet Products; the pricing was far more competitive than ordering direct from Velvac.

I replaced the OEM Velvac mirrors heads with Velvac mirror heads that were taller. (Same style and color as the OEM's, just more mirror surface area.) When I use the mirrors, I can now see the top of the rear of the MH, which is great when pulling into a RV campround, or when backing into the actual RV spot with low-hanging tree branches. Replacing the mirrors heads only took a few minutes per side and I now have greatly improved rear visibilty. You can quickly see in the website photos the difference in the height...

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg.../pre-index.jsp

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/brows...browsecategories.jsp
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Well thanks to this post I just went out to check my mirror's because like many of you my drivers side vibrates a lot more than the passenger side. I have Velvac mirrors on my rig and they have four tensioning spring loaded straps on each mirror. I tested the tension on each mirror and the drivers side was quite a bit looser than the other. Moved the mirror to the extreme inside and with a small pair of needle nose pliers I opened up the springs both top and bottom. Moved the mirror back in place voilla! Tight mirror.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

This can be a multi problem symptom. If the head and arm are firmly set then the spring clips could be loose or the heater pads could have come unstuck or the servo motors could be loose. When I fixed the Velvacs on my 95 Vectra I found all three conditons. I had to remove the glass, reattach (glue) the heating pads to the backs of the mirrors and tighten down the servo mounts before retensioning the spring clips and reinstalling the mirrors.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Hope this is not anyone else's problem but, I checked out all of the above suggestions, tightened everything I could and still had the problem. I finally found the problem was that the sealant between the mirror and the wall of the coach had given out and water had been leaking into the area where the screws attached the mirror to the coach --- when I tried to tighten one of them, it would not tighten up at all -- the threads had eaten the "wood" out (this leak also explained the water situation that I was getting in the lower compartment after a heavy rain storm -- the water was coming in at the mirror and then running down inside of the wall, getting on some of the wiring going into the front compartment and "wa la" -- water in the compartment}. I had to actually take the mirror off, drill some holes to match the mirror holes and re-install the mirror with bolts that went to the inside of the coach with a backer plate. The mirror is now "rock solid" with no vibrations. I know that I had better not hit anything with the mirror now as it would probably take out a part of the side wall but, this was the only solution for the fix. I tried to put in wood match stems, dowling, etc but nothing would hold the mounting screws.