Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just sold my Journey. The buyer was on the way from Denver when I discovered the display went out in my Sharp Microwave. I found out about these people, talked to William and he repaired mine and turned it right around so I could get it in without delaying the buyer. It cost all of $32.50 for everything! I just wanted to give them kudos on great service.
Check them out at Microwave Display
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just sold my Journey. The buyer was on the way from Denver when I discovered the display went out in my Sharp Microwave. I found out about these people, talked to William and he repaired mine and turned it right around so I could get it in without delaying the buyer. It cost all of $32.50 for everything! I just wanted to give them kudos on great service.
Check them out at Microwave Display
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Very descent of you to go out of your way to repair the display. A lot of folks would have done something else, take a couple of dollars off the price, etc and let the buyer fix it. Good for you! Shows you care.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Be careful of this guy. He took my money but I never received any repair part and cannot get a refund. He owes me $56 and I have sent him a number of emails. He answered one a month ago and said my money would be returned but I am still waiting.

I believe he is dishonest.
dlr441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

A search of my records did not turn up this poster's e-mail address as listed with this forum.

Since he or she did not give a name or any other ID info, I can't reply to or research this further.

It sounds like it could be a situation where someone sent in an old assembly which needs parts no longer available, or a unit which was too far gone to repair, but I can't be sure until I know more.

If he or she will contact me via e-mail at [email protected] or phone at 765_378_4640, I will of course rectify the situation at once.

I honestly do not know who this is. If he or she is out there, please contact me so I can resolve this.
Micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

He repaired mine and returned it promptly, works great now.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Apparently microwavedisplay.com used to do good work on microwaves, but I sent mine to him 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing since. He hasn't replied to my emails or returned my phone calls. If you go to Whoila Blog » Blog Archive » Microwavedisplay.com GREAT people! you will see several other recently dissatisfied customers.
natgild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I think the operative word here is patience. I sent mine in at the beginning of March and I expect it back this week and have a tracking number he provided when he shipped it last week. By my calculation, he is backlogged by about 10+ weeks. If you have been following his web site, you will note he relocated from IN to GA in February and March and I suspect the move was beyond expectations resulting in a much higher turnaround time than indicated when I shipped it in.

That said - and I'm not defending him - he is the only person to do board level repair on microwaves and at reasonable prices and is offering what appears to be a unique service. While - like you - I would have preferred to have it back sooner rather than later, the alternative is really to scrap the unit or spend $200 on a board replacement. I'm convinced he is not dishonest but I think he could communicate the "current turn around time" on his web site to avoid creating unrealistic expectations when he is overloaded.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks

Thanks. It's reassuring to know that he's still in business. I was wondering after no communication for 6 weeks. However, on the plus side, This morning, I finally got a response to my email so I feel much better.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Follow-up

I sent my microwave control panel to microwavedisplay.com in the first week of April, 2010. After several attempts to reach them by phone and email, I finally received the an email response at least confirming that they received my control panel on May 11. He said in part, "We moved from Indiana to Georgia, and had more than our fair share of complications as a result! So that put us a few weeks behind. But there aren't too many ahead of you now."

It is now June 6 and I have had no further communication and no microwave display. I finally had to buy a new microwave.

Nat
Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr441 View Post
Be careful of this guy. He took my money but I never received any repair part and cannot get a refund. He owes me $56 and I have sent him a number of emails. He answered one a month ago and said my money would be returned but I am still waiting.

I believe he is dishonest.
I am inclined to agree... I sent my Sharp display panel to him back on 4/12/10 with a check for $39.95. After following with William Miller at Prototech (MicrowaveDisplay.com) on 4/27, I received an e-mail saying that " your panel has been received and is in line for repair. We take repairs in date order as they were received. While it normally runs 1 - 2 weeks, we are still behind due to our move from Indiana to Georgia. But we will update whenever your status changes, and of course when it ships."

I have sent two more e-mails since 4/27, and made several phone calls... All without response. Now I've got a non-functional microwave.

Has anyone else used MicrowaveDisplay.com in 2010 and had problems?

Please let me know: [email protected]

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Troth:

I posted on May 11 and received my repaired board the following day on May 12. The display backlighting had failed and it works great now.
It looks to me like the current turnaround time is in the 3 month range unfortunately. In any event, I am convinced that William Miller is an outstanding technician fully capable of bringing microwaves back to life but an complete failure in terms of the Customer Service aspect of the job. I know he reads these threads and hopefully he will see fit to post current turn-around times on his site before you send a board in and provide some feedback to his customers acknowledging receipt and advising expected return dates and any subsequent changes to these. While this might not have been required when intervals were a couple of weeks, the sudden change to 3 months makes it a different world. I will repeat what I said before - my microwave wold be in a landfill by now if it weren't for his reasonably priced board level repair service.

Be patient and you should ultimately be happy but it is a frustrating wait not knowing what is happening.

bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

From my experience in other fields of repair or construction, it seems most independent business owners seem to have so much work that they don't think it's necessary to keep a customer, current or potential, informed as to what or when to expect results. I've had a carpenter tell me "Oh I've got more than 20 phone calls backed up on my voice mail, some of which I don't want to work for and others I'll call back when I get around to it". Doesn't seem to matter to them that the customer might like to know if the work will be started next week or 6 months from now. The above person seems to have the same attitude, and it does take their time to make the contacts.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Troth:

In any event, I am convinced that William Miller is an outstanding technician fully capable of bringing microwaves back to life but an complete failure in terms of the Customer Service aspect of the job. ... -Be patient and you should ultimately be happy but it is a frustrating wait not knowing what is happening.

bob
Thanx Bob!

I didn't realize how much I used the microwave until it was "gone"...

Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If any readers are thinking of sending their malfunctioning display to microwavedisplay.com for repair, please contact me...

troth
Old 09-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

How's the repair turnaround these days? Has it improved any from the 2-3 months reported last spring? A couple of weeks is no problem but if the RV is used very often the loss of the microwave for several months is just a little hard to handle.

Wagonmaster2
Old 09-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
How's the repair turnaround these days? Has it improved any from the 2-3 months reported last spring? A couple of weeks is no problem but if the RV is used very often the loss of the microwave for several months is just a little hard to handle.

Wagonmaster2
I sent mine in in late March, 2010. I received a crushed box from Mr. Miller in mid September, 2010. All the time he advertises a turn around time of 1 to 2 weeks on his website. I call that fraudulent advertising. Also check out the Better Business Bureau at BBB Review of Microwave Display Repair in La Fayette, GA. He gets an "F" rating thanks to two unanswered complaints(one of them mine).

I bought a new microwave months ago. Hey, you want to buy the one Mr. Miller repaired?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I'm still trying to figure out how or who to call to get mine removed from the coach to get the damper motor replaced. The way these Sharp ovens seem to be of such shoddy workmanship and quality an extra oven on hand might not be such a bad idea.

Wagonmaster2
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I got my repaired display back after 5 months!!! -Yeah it works, but I'd never recommend this "microwavedisplay.com" to anyone.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how or who to call to get mine removed from the coach to get the damper motor replaced. The way these Sharp ovens seem to be of such shoddy workmanship and quality an extra oven on hand might not be such a bad idea.

Wagonmaster2

See if this link will help find a service center close to where you are.
Service Locations | Customer Support | SHARP Electronics