Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our Sharp microwave/oven is acting up. Makes a sound like something is in the fan when it is heating. Runs for 59 seconds, then you have to hit the start again. How do you remove the unit?
Either to get it repaired or replace I am going to have to remove it!
It is hard to keep up with things needing fixing!!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our Sharp microwave/oven is acting up. Makes a sound like something is in the fan when it is heating. Runs for 59 seconds, then you have to hit the start again. How do you remove the unit?
Either to get it repaired or replace I am going to have to remove it!
It is hard to keep up with things needing fixing!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Every Microwave that I have removed or installed has 2 large screws/bolts inside the overhead cabinet near the front edge that hold it in place. The back is supported by large metal plate on the rear wall. The wall plate has a channel along the bottom and the micro wave has a metal lip that fits into the channel.

Support the oven as you remove the 2 screws in the top front. After the screws are removed, "roll" the oven forward and then lift it off the bottom rear channel. It works better if you have somone to help you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or my directions aren't clear.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You should have the manual in the big winnie bag or download from the sharp web page should need to remove 4 bolts

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Use a heavy bucket or box to support the micro while taking it out. It is very heavy, we removed and reinstalled ours 2 times. Good Luck
Old 02-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What was the fix for your microwave,I am having the same problem.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the oven! I just couldn't get any answers out of Sharp or one of their authorizated service centers. I replaced it with a model R1874 F stainless steel front which looks a lot better than the black one. Not really a hard job to replace it. You have to take off the bottom of shelf above it. You can get at the top bolts that way. Attention-There are 3 screws that Winnebago put in that have to be removed! They hold the oven to the lip of mounting plate. You will see them if you look underneath & in back of the oven. Remove these first! Then the top bolts. Have a support under the oven. Even the box the oven came in can be cut to make the support. Instructions are on the box. Next with 2 people, remove the screws that are at an angle located where the grease screens are. Now tilt the oven down & lift it off of the lip. Reverse to put in new oven. Note. the exhaust fan on the new oven will have to be changed! Follow instructions enclosed. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tinman:
What was the fix for your microwave,I am having the same problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tinman
Just saw this thread and it mirrors the same problem I had several months ago. In my case it was the damper motor in the micro/conv oven, Model R-1870, and I convinced Sharp to repair it under warranty even though it had expired. Here is the old thread pertaining to it.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1356094452/m/...921008034#9921008034

You also might read this info from another source on the 59 second problem.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t127466...n_after_59_sec. I believe the Sharp service center tech that repaired ours said the cost would have been around $150.00?

When I removed ours, there were (2) vertical bolts under the flooring of the cabinet above the micro. I removed the flooring, which was staple down, by using a small stiff metal putty knife and used velcro strips when I reinstalled it. The (2) vertical screws are long and should be removed as the last step. The screws, (1 each side), for the first step on ours are located under the micro and secure into a wall bracket at a 45 degree angle. The are/cannot be removed but merely loosened all the way. If you have a small filter each side, remove them for access to the screws. As you loosen the (2) vertical screws as mentioned earlier, the unit gradually drops down so get some help. The back edge of the unit then lifts off a metal lift mounted on the wall.

Here is a link to the Sharp website if you need to contact them or locate a service center close to you.
http://www.sharpusa.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure I agree with damper motor or switch because there is none of the above. Only the exhaust fan which opens a swinging louver by out blowing air. But my fan was making a noice. The circuit board would be controlling the 59 second shutoff. Could be be the ciriut board senses the fan isn't running right. It would be nice to know for sure what is wrong because we are thinking of fixing the old one & using it elsewhere. Also in case of future trouble!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

JC did you actually fix the microwave yourself and where is the motor in question located, would like to repair myself if possible
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tinman:
JC did you actually fix the microwave yourself and where is the motor in question located, would like to repair myself if possible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sharp agreed to have ours repaired at a service center I located in Independence Mo if I removed it and took it to them. If you don't have a manual form your particular model, I would go to the Sharp website I indicated in an earlier post and see if they have one for downloading that might show the damper motor location or possibly call Sharp and see if a tech or someone would tell you the location of the damper motor and where one could purchase it.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our Sharp microwave/convection oven groaned and died this afternoon. Sharp "will get back" to me in a couple of days.
We've had batteries go, ref go and now this. Doesn't say much for the suppliers Winnebago uses.

Oh, we didn't get a manual....just a useless cookbook.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Here is the manual for your Sharp. Not really much help for trouble shooting. If I got a manual with the coach, I can't find it.
http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mic_man_R1872.pdf
Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help, heard back from Sharp,need to talk to local dealer to see what I need to do
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Keep us posted as to actual fix to this problem.
Thanks Dave
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
jfb
Winnebago Camper

We experienced the "59 second" problem in Sept, 2006. Called out the Sears tech who tested the unit and suggested that the "board" was bad and that it was probably less expensive to buy a new micro wave/convection oven, which we did, getting the same model. Following the installation instructions, we took the old one out and installed the new one using the original mounting plate as described above. A two MAN job! Winn. factory messed up the original installation and we had to hacksaw the original upper mounting bolts as they were mis-aligned and cross-threaded. Otherwise, a walk in the park!
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Great to have all this removal information, sounds like we'll all get to use it at one time or another as Sharp doesn't sound very sharp.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #18
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Here's another thread on the 59 second shutoff problem. http://www.rvusa.com/forum/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.as...ghlightmode=1#M38831
Old 05-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Had the same 59 second problem in our 2004 Meridian. The actual problem is the damper motor. It does two things, first it operates a little door, and also opens and closes a switch 7 times a minute. If the circuit board does not sense the switch closings it shuts the unit down. Once the micro is removed it is about a 15 minute job changing the damper motor. I searched the switch in the internet and had it shipped. Total cost about $15.00 including shipping.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

GEE how interesting is this. We have an 04 Journey and our micro just started this 59 second thing. Guess it's time to remove the thing and get after the damper motor.

Thanks everyone for this info.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote