Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

On the A&E patio awning I noticed that the metal awning shield had shifted approximately two inches forward. In the closed position, the rear of the rolled awning had exposed fabric. I did not notice this when the awning was open. I extended and retracted the awning and the material was tracking perfectly even.

Easy fix; I got up on the roof and with the awning extended about 18 inches (because there is less tension on the awning compared to fully open) I was able to move the metal section by tapping it with a padded hammer. I adjusted the shield to the rear two inches so I have even coverage on both sides of the rolled and extended awning.

I don't know why this metal awning shield shifted, but the fix is easy.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On the A&E patio awning I noticed that the metal awning shield had shifted approximately two inches forward. In the closed position, the rear of the rolled awning had exposed fabric. I did not notice this when the awning was open. I extended and retracted the awning and the material was tracking perfectly even.

Easy fix; I got up on the roof and with the awning extended about 18 inches (because there is less tension on the awning compared to fully open) I was able to move the metal section by tapping it with a padded hammer. I adjusted the shield to the rear two inches so I have even coverage on both sides of the rolled and extended awning.

I don't know why this metal awning shield shifted, but the fix is easy.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Gary
I had the same thing happen more than once on my previous motorhome. This was over a 10 year period of use. I used the same tapping method you used except I used a piece of wood to distribute the force of tapping it back in place. It was an easy fix as you describe, but a little perplexing as to why it does that. I did discover that the awning cover shifted some one time when over a period of time with the awning out and an evening breeze every day, it shifted away from the wind, possible the fluttering of the canvase slowly jiggled it in that direction. Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You're right Ron, it's probably the wind. Something to keep an eye on.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
You're right Ron, it's probably the wind. Something to keep an eye on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes use of a deflapper can help minimize this while putting the first deflapper on too tight can cause it.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

IMHO, the shifting of the shield or fabric can also be caused by acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
IMHO, the shifting of the shield or fabric can also be caused by acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't happen if the awning is locked in the upper rests as it would have no where to go. Then again with so many options and variables anything is possible. 2004 Meridian has an electric awning with an overlapping arm design so it should be pretty stable when in the closed/parked position.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

In the closed position, the awning shield will not move, even with a "padded hammer". Once open, even a little, the metal shield moves easily. I marked mine when I last reset it in the center and over the past 3 months parked in AZ with the awning out, the shield has moved nearly 2 inches forward. I believe that the movement is caused by wind movement of the awning against the shield - I just haven't figured out why it is always forward. Resetting the shield helps to do a roof and awning material inspection. Good Traveling

Spooky - 02 Journey 36DL
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the advice, mine is shifted to the rear. I have tried pulling it back in place but that never worked, I'll have to try the tapping while the awning is slightly extended.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote