Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Membrane roof pulled out of gutter 02 Sightseer

I have a 2002 30 ft Sightseer. The other day it was outside and we had a storm go through with wind and rain. The next morning I go out and there was some styrofoam blowing around the yard. I finally figured out the entire one side of the MH membrane roof had pulled out of the gutter and the styrofoam was coming out from under it. No water damage at all but the roof is peeled up and out of the gutter. I was going out of town that morning so I called the insurance co and told them and put the MH inside the barn to prevent any further damage. An adjuster is coming to look at it today. But it looks like a simple fix. Just clean the membrane and gutter, put the membrane back in the gutter and reseal it. Has anyone else seen an issue like this and is it a simple fix? The membrane is stiff and I wonder if a little heat would soften it up? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Real Mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is quite common. Your plan should work well. Just reinsert the Filon back into the channel and recaulk. I would fill in the hole in the foam with expanding foam where it has blown away.

In many cases insurance companies have refused payment as cauling the seam is considered periodic maintenance.

Three members of the ND State WIT club have had it happen. In all of these the insurance company did pay.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I didnt know that it required any Maintenance but I do now. If it is not a big issue and I can reseal it I have no issues with insurance not paying. I was worried the roof may have been ruined and require replacement. I think I have 500 deductible anyway
Old 04-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have read the seam tape works better than recaulking it. I think its called eterno tape. Apparently people tape the entire roof around the perimeter. I tried to find a thread on it, but couldnt seem to find it on the search feature. Im thinking of doing it to mine as well this spring as mine is due for some upkeep on the roof area. Maybe someone more familiar will pipe in or link the thread concerning this. Good luck. Let us know how it works out either way.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't think it is a membrane but is a thin layer of fiberglass bonded to a 1/16 or so thick luan.

See HERE for a cross section of the roof and instructions on replacing the adhesive/sealant in the channel.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Insurance man was here and said it was in fact a fiberglas roof and that this has been a common problem with Winnebago roofs for many years. He says usually they come loose driving down the road and tear all to peices. Mine is only pulled loose and isnt hurt. We agreed to drop the claim and I would fix it myself. Thanks for all the help and info.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ya had me going there for a minute, Sightseer, Winnebago?? rubber roof?? What? Winnebago doesn't use rubber roofs. Good luck with/on the repair.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I looked it up on another forum. Its called eternabond tape. The roof coming apart is common on Winnebagos and taping the seam where the fiberglass roof meets the track on the side, seems to be the recommended fix. Most I have read recommend taping the whole roof. Anyone done this want to comment.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I got the self leveling sealer and I'm going to try that on the side that has come out. I think that will fix it, hope so anyways.....LOL. Once I get the bad side fixed I'll see what the other side looks like and decide what I want to try. I'll check on the tape too. Thanks again for the help guys
Old 04-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I don't think just using self leveling sealer will hold the fiberglass down very well. I suggest doing a little research and see what is recommended to bond the roof before sealing. I would call Winnebago and see if they would make suggestions, especially since this seems to be common.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Self leveling sealers are made for the tops of roofs, not the sides as they use gravity to flow into place. You'd need to use a completely different system for the sides of your roof. And the easiest system is indeed Eternabond. Available on Amazon in 4" and 2" widths and 50 foot lengths. Wish I owned stock in their company.

You can check out my RV repair blog that covers many different ideas about the roof: Roof Repair and preventative maintenance...

Direct link to the roof edge section: Roof Edges...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I looked it up on another forum. Its called eternabond tape. The roof coming apart is common on Winnebagos and taping the seam where the fiberglass roof meets the track on the side, seems to be the recommended fix. Most I have read recommend taping the whole roof. Anyone done this want to comment.
I put 2" eternabond tape the length of the seams, about five years ago. I did buy black and it blended quite well . i cleaned the area , and used a wall paper roller to install the tape. I am very pleased with the results. Still looks good and bonding as it was just installed. I also used 4" on the front and rear cap covering the caulk seams. I might add I used the tape because of fear of roof pulling form the seam.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

So people that have added the tape on the roof, did you peal all the old dicor off the roof first ? I ask as our roof looks good and does not leak, however It appears someone has added more sealer over the factory (different color). Its not cracking yet but I dealt with water issues on my 5th wheel including delamination and want to make sure it does not happen with our motor home. I did just pull the cover off it last weekend (and now its snowing again) so would like to get this taken care of before my trip in May to Charlotte.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Winnebago doesn't use Dicor on the roof edge. They use an adhesive/sealant. You can download the adhesives and sealants for your particular model and year from the Winnebago web site. You will need the Winnebago ID number which can be found on the label on the wall by the drivers seat. You can also download a complete parts list.

To the OP: if you look at the PDF file I gave the URL for in my post above. you will see a cross section of the roof and instructions on how to do the repair. The PDF is from Winnebago.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I wasn't talking about the edge, more concerned about the front and rear cap. I know Winnebago didn't use dicor but that is what is on there now. I just want to fix it ahead of time. I wasn't sure if i should remove all the old sealer or not. Guess I will just remove it all.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
I wasn't talking about the edge, more concerned about the front and rear cap. I know Winnebago didn't use dicor but that is what is on there now. I just want to fix it ahead of time. I wasn't sure if i should remove all the old sealer or not. Guess I will just remove it all.
I did not remove , just cleaned surface then applied tape. It depends on how the chaulking was applied,the flatter the surface the better. Just take your time to be sure all air bubbles are removed.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for the new replies and advice on the sealer. I cant tape it because the roof has to be sealed back into the gutter first. It is sticking straight out now. So I'll get the right sealer and get the fiberglas back in the gutter then look into the tape. Thanks again
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Here's what the roof edge is suppose to look like, note that there's no sealant used behind the roofing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have that picture. I got the roof tucked back in now. I used some luan wood spacers I made to hold it in. Just need to clean the groove and roof and seal it.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

All done fixing. I went to the RV store and got non sag Flex Seal which is what they had to seal my type roof. I used denatured alcohol on a old towel with a putty knife to clean the seal area and roof edge that had pulled out. I used a putty knife to remove the deteriorated sealer on the other side that didnt come out. Again used alcohol on a rag to clean the area. Applied the sealer with a chalk gun, cleaned things up using lacquer thinner. Not a horrible job and I plan to keep an eye on the sealer now I know it can be an issue. If it gets bad again I'll consider the tape fix. Thanks again for all the help.

Tags
led, roof, sightseer