Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Medicine Cabinet

My DW seems to think that she need a Medicine cabinet with mirrored door in the lavetory on my 2003 Winnebago Sightseer and I would like to know if any of you owners have found and adapted a cabinet for your rig and if so, what brand and how did you mount it? DW had a hair fetish but don't tell her I told you for it will be our little secret.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

P.S. I said, "my rig," but it is really ours. It is mine when there is work to be done.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You should have bought a Sea Breeze. I think National had stock in a mirror company. They're everywhere, they're everywhere, except maybe the ceiling. Wardrobe doors, bedroom wall, bathroom door, bathroom, kitchen back-splash, both medicine cabinets, and maybe inside one of the medicine cabinets.

I don't know about "your"(since there is work to be done) rig, but I have read that some cabinets are attached from the backside when they are building it and there is no way to get at the mounting screws. If you have space on one of the lavatory side walls, maybe you could use a stud finder to located a solid place to mount one from HD or Lowe's. Good luck, and if you aren't good, I will tell DW about "our little secret".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As far as how to attach it, I've seen people attach some pretty heavy things to MH walls with pop rivets.

I prefer screws (access limited to one side) appropriate to wall material I am attaching to.

Ours is screwed in with wood screws. 2 top 2 bottom.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would think that even aluminum pop rivets would pull thru the fiber board when you went to pop them.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Definitely would not use them of fiberboard
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

So, what are you talking about using them in/on?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Aluminum framing is where I've seen others use them.

As I said in my first post I prefer screws appropriate the the material. If I have access to both sides bolt, washer and self locking nut.

I remember one video by RV Geeks where he is mounting something, a bracket for a fire extinguisher I think, he must have put 10 or 12 pop rivets in it.

RV Geeks use them in fiberboard with success it appears.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Here is the video had to go find it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I bought and installed a standard medicine cabinet in the bathroom (mounted to an outside wall )of our 2010 Journey 39n. There was a mirror there, but we really needed the extra shelves for the various pills and lotions needed.

I removed the mirror (it was hooked via some clips at the top, and velcro at the bottom). The medicine cabinet had a plastic body and shelves, so very light, but a nice beveled edge mirrored door with a piano hinge for strength.

The cabinet itself only weighed around 10 pounds, and was surface mounted, so it did stick out about 3". But I used the same clips at the top that secured the mirror, and used 4 other mounting points (shallow wall anchors, screws and washers). It has held up fine over some rough roads, looks good over the sink.

Found on internet, many locations, I used the [ LightingShowPlace ], about $60 with $12 shipping, called American Pride Harmony swing door medicine cabinet.

Very happy with the end result.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That voice in the video sounds familiar. Either he has done other types of tutorials I have watched or went to the same You-Tube video school as the others.

I wonder if Liquid Nails would work? Remember that commercial where the guy sticks a hammer to the ceiling?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I think the downside to liquid nails is it's to permanent. If you decided to change for some reason, it would a job and a half to get it off the wall.

RV Geeks has several videos on youtube.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Actually, the top layer of the fiberboard or whatever would come off. Kinda like the paper on drywall. Wouldn't be pretty, but would probably be covered with whatever would replace the cabinet. Or, you could cover the whole wall with wallpaper.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

They make a pop rivet that is designed to be used in fiberglass. They are like toggle bolts, they really expand on the backside. No way to pull them through.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Never heard or seen those. I know if you can get to the back side, you can use back up washers. When I have to drill out a pop rivet, I save the top button just for that. They work great.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much, now all I have to do is go for it.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

My rig came so equipped both bathrooms have mirrored cabinets of that type.

There is one that is child safe, you have to slide a slider right and left to spell out the word "HAND" before the doors will open (Sliding glass mirror doors) this, or one like it is what I'd recommend. as the doors won't open unless they are unlocked.

That said, mine have never opened when traveling. and I've shook this rig up rather well (Dang near rolled it one time) and the cabintes did not open. so you may not need that level of security.

But just go for sliding glass mirror doors.

If you feel the need to lock them when moving a lock of the kind they use on store displays will fit perfectly you can geet those both with and w/o keys (just squeeze to remove the lock part)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I mounted a second mirrored medicine cabinet in my Sightseer. I got it at Lowes.
I mounted it on an outside wall. There is an aluminum stud at the top of the wall that runs the full length of the coach. It extends down about two inches from the ceiling.
I used two self tapping metal screws to hold the cabinet at the top. Close to the bottom I used a couple of small molly bolts.
There are a lot of different types of molly bolts. These are the type that have a couple of little ears that penetrate the wall when you push the device into a predrilled hole. The ears keep it from turning while you screw in a machine screw that expands the metal behind the thin wall. Then you take the screw out and the threaded insert can now be used as a mounting point.