Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

MCD Windshield Shade

We have a 2007 Sightseer, The DW and I were perusing the 2013's Sightseer's today at a local dealer. DW noticed that the windshield now has the MCD Shades.

I Know that I could order and have installed, but I have a habit of doing things myself.

Already moved the front tv out of the overhead cabinet and removed the drop down that was there. The cabinets now go straight across just like the 2013, so the DW's question is,

Will the MCD shade and tracks used in the 2013 fit in the 2007 now that the ceiling is flat. I called about the parts and they are available.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It doesn't matter if they fit or not. What you need to do is contact MCD directly and give them the dimensions. They will make exactly what you need for your coach.

I gave them the measurements for my previous coach (2003 Journey DL) and I installed them. Every shade fit perfectly although I did have to do some minor modification on the A-pillar trim.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago will sell you a new A pillar cover with the black guide channel. (I checked) The black guide channel is a Winnebago item, not MCD. The big thing you need to determine is the correct length from the top of the left A pillar to the top of right. MCD can help you with that, but since they are not installing them, you are responsible for getting the measurement right. The shades are available with or without power from MCD, not sure of the choice from Winnebago.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

When we still had our 08 Vectra, we ordered shades for the whole coach from MCD. All except for the cockpit. They sent me a form to do our measurments on and then I faxed it to them to make the shades. They are very nice and easy folks to work with. And per their instructions all the shades fit perfectly when we put them in. It is quite a job when you have to remove the valances so we had someone do it for us. We replaced all the pleated shades, but left the front as a curtain. If you are going to get the one that is motorized, they will tell you that either them or an autorized installer that was trained by them should install it. The measuring for the cockpit can be pretty tricky and if you do it wrong it's your mistake I know the MCD folks will be at GNR only to do measuring, not installing. You would have to have Winnebago or someone they trained do that. Well, we now have the 2013 Tour that came with the shades and they are wonderful. Good luck whatever you decide.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bill:

I retrofit MCD shades in my Journey. The install in the coach windows is straight forward and simple once you learn how to get the valances off. The front windshield is a different story and measuring requires knowledge of the installation process and precision. You want the shade as close as possible to the A pillars so there are only minimal gaps. You also need to provide some sort of channel to guide the shades down and cover the sides when down. You can do it with the Winnebago part or with wood molding on the pillar. You also might want a "frame" across the top to hide them inside that you can install later.

I do virtually all the work in my coach but I had the windshield done by Master Tech RV in Elkhart who are an MCD dealer. Installation is not cheap but it was done right and significantly cheaper than the Winnebago quote. In the end, I was glad they did it and not me. If you elect not to do it yourself, you might consider them.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to All,

I am planning on ordering the modified Pillar post covers from Winnebago to make the installation easier. Just completed installing MCD shades on all the other windows complete with new maple valences. The Winnebago stain is no fun to match, but after 3 tries, i got a decent color match.

Next is making a door for the former front tv hole which is now a cabinet. Then on to removing both the dinette and the original couch to put in 2 easy-beds couches in the slide-out.... then a custom table for the couch then...........

Didn't know I was going to have this much fun......
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

DW and I decided to have the cockpit shades installed. Just stopped at BraddandHall in Elkhart for pricing. Ordered shades and couches to replace existing couch and dinette. Fair prices and great people to deal with