Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
LR
Winnebago Camper

MCD Shade Installation

I have an 2005 Adventurer 38J that I want to install MCD shades on every window except the windshield. On four of my windows there is possibly 2 inches if I compress the valance material to accommodate the 2 inch roller for the shade. My question is, has anyone successfully installed an MCD shade in this area without modifying the valance?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not sure what type of valance you have on your '05, but on my '04 Vectra I had no issues at all installing the manual MCD shades on all of my side windows in the main area. The two shade rollers are vertical (one under the other) so take up about the same amount of horizontal room as the original pleated shades. There was sufficient room under the top valance without any modification.

Here's a photo of one of my windows where you can see the MCD day shade partly drawn. (In the photo the slide-style window is fully open so you get the effect of the right side with the shade and the left is dark due to the double layer of tinted window.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1065.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	47979  
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I installed them on my '03 UA. I found it easier to do by taking the valences off, installing the brackets, the re-installing the valences and then popping the shades into the brackets ...contrary to MCD's instructions.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How do you remove the Winnebago valences to install the new shades? On my 2006 Journey there is a mounting bracket on each side of the valence with two screws in it. I can see nothing on how to remove anything to loosen the top of the valence. We are looking at changing all of our windows over to the MCD shades.

Also I was reading the MCD webpage yesterday and am not sure I fully understand what the principle difference is between the DUO and GOLD models. Is it solely the quality of the room darkening shade material. Has anyone seen the difference in person and can they describe it?

We are thinking about going with the manual versions. I would like to install them myself at some point this winter.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The oem shades are held on by screws through them. Remove those screws and the oem shades, and you will find the screws holding the valences in place, either into the cabinet above, or through a bracket into the wall.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHTRAINS View Post
How do you remove the Winnebago valences to install the new shades? On my 2006 Journey there is a mounting bracket on each side of the valence with two screws in it. I can see nothing on how to remove anything to loosen the top of the valence. We are looking at changing all of our windows over to the MCD shades.

Also I was reading the MCD webpage yesterday and am not sure I fully understand what the principle difference is between the DUO and GOLD models. Is it solely the quality of the room darkening shade material. Has anyone seen the difference in person and can they describe it?

We are thinking about going with the manual versions. I would like to install them myself at some point this winter.
While the Day shade material on the GOLD has a more open weave than the American Series, it is still very good. The other differences are more cosmetic. The American Series will have a powder-coated exposed metal hem rail on the bottom edge of the shade and will have tension and stop-point adjustment wheels at the top edges of the assembly. The GOLD Series will have the fabric wrapped around the weight bar at the bottom and the adjustments are made with a screw driver at the ends of the assembly prior to installation. The good news is that once you make the adjustments, they lock into place.

I hope this helps you understand the difference.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
LR
Winnebago Camper

Update om MCD Installation

Redlands Truck and RV, an authorized MCD Shade installer has inspected our Winnebago Adventurer 2005 38J and has said that they can install MCD Solo Shades under our existing valances. They quoted $1553 including materials and labor for all 9 windows, but not the windshield. We will be having them do the installation
Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegGrich View Post
While the Day shade material on the GOLD has a more open weave than the American Series, it is still very good. The other differences are more cosmetic. The American Series will have a powder-coated exposed metal hem rail on the bottom edge of the shade and will have tension and stop-point adjustment wheels at the top edges of the assembly. The GOLD Series will have the fabric wrapped around the weight bar at the bottom and the adjustments are made with a screw driver at the ends of the assembly prior to installation. The good news is that once you make the adjustments, they lock into place.

I hope this helps you understand the difference.
Hello Peggy! We hope to see you in Tampa in January,...........muffin and Belinda.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don't have a Winnebago, but the valances on our windows were too narrow. Ended up putting a 1/4" wood spacer all the way around between the valances & the wall to accomodate the rollers. Stained them to match our cabinetry. They look nice & make it appear we've got custom wood-backed valances. Not near the coach to snap pics. Can do when I'm next there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, please stop by to see us. Maybe this time we can get together after the show hours.

Tags
install