Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

MCD shade bottom separation?

Out this past week in the 13 Tour. One morning I found a 5' piece of aluminum about 1" wide and 1/8" thick on the floor beside the recliner. After some head scratching I figured out it was the insert in the bottom of the MCD night shade. Upon examination, this strip (what you usually grab to lower or raise the shade) is held in by a fold in the fabric that is glued shut. Two days later, I found another similarly sized piece of aluminum across the back of the couch. Sure enough, that MCD shade had also come unglued. MCD hasn't yet responded to my email.

Has anyone else had this problem (a quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything like this)? Is there a fix short of taking the thing to McKinney and letting them re-glue it, or better yet put some stitches in there? Can I expect the rest of the shades in the coach to do the same thing ya think? My bride is not happy.

The microwave decided to go nuts too, punching it's own buttons and going deep into the menus but so far not actually turning itself on. Sometimes resetting the breaker will calm it down, sometimes not. I'm leaving it off at night now. I've seen quite a few problems posted on here with those Velos (?) microwaves and know because of the size I can't just run down to Lowes and get a different brand to replace it. Any suggestions on this? I've sent Winnie cust. serv. and email about this too, but like MCD, so far no response.

This is our third trip in the Tour, and otherwise we like it just fine.

Thanks for suggestions,

.......JB
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've had MCD shades in my coach for 6 years and never seen or heard of what you describe. Sounds like they had a bad batch go through.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstok View Post
Out this past week in the 13 Tour. One morning I found a 5' piece of aluminum about 1" wide and 1/8" thick on the floor beside the recliner. After some head scratching I figured out it was the insert in the bottom of the MCD night shade. Upon examination, this strip (what you usually grab to lower or raise the shade) is held in by a fold in the fabric that is glued shut. Two days later, I found another similarly sized piece of aluminum across the back of the couch. Sure enough, that MCD shade had also come unglued. MCD hasn't yet responded to my email. Has anyone else had this problem (a quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything like this)? Is there a fix short of taking the thing to McKinney and letting them re-glue it, or better yet put some stitches in there? Can I expect the rest of the shades in the coach to do the same thing ya think? My bride is not happy. The microwave decided to go nuts too, punching it's own buttons and going deep into the menus but so far not actually turning itself on. Sometimes resetting the breaker will calm it down, sometimes not. I'm leaving it off at night now. I've seen quite a few problems posted on here with those Velos (?) microwaves and know because of the size I can't just run down to Lowes and get a different brand to replace it. Any suggestions on this? I've sent Winnie cust. serv. and email about this too, but like MCD, so far no response. This is our third trip in the Tour, and otherwise we like it just fine. Thanks for suggestions, .......JB
Call MCD tech support they will talk you through this or send you new parts. 800.804.1757
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Any pictures, that would help. I also have not had that problem with MCD shades.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Out this past week in the 13 Tour. One morning I found a 5' piece of aluminum about 1" wide and 1/8" thick on the floor beside the recliner. After some head scratching I figured out it was the insert in the bottom of the MCD night shade. Upon examination, this strip (what you usually grab to lower or raise the shade) is held in by a fold in the fabric that is glued shut. Two days later, I found another similarly sized piece of aluminum across the back of the couch. Sure enough, that MCD shade had also come unglued. MCD hasn't yet responded to my email. Has anyone else had this problem (a quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything like this)? Is there a fix short of taking the thing to McKinney and letting them re-glue it, or better yet put some stitches in there? Can I expect the rest of the shades in the coach to do the same thing ya think? My bride is not happy. The microwave decided to go nuts too, punching it's own buttons and going deep into the menus but so far not actually turning itself on. Sometimes resetting the breaker will calm it down, sometimes not. I'm leaving it off at night now. I've seen quite a few problems posted on here with those Velos (?) microwaves and know because of the size I can't just run down to Lowes and get a different brand to replace it. Any suggestions on this? I've sent Winnie cust. serv. and email about this too, but like MCD, so far no response. This is our third trip in the Tour, and otherwise we like it just fine. Thanks for suggestions, .......JB
I would call the microwave manufacture direct. They should also walk you through fixing it or send a tech to you.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

JB, The microwave on my 13 Ellipse did the same thing but was totally not usable from the day we took delivery, before we left the lot. Dealer was notified at that time. Winne said that it must be repaired as opposed to replaced. Tech came and said the touch pad needed replacement. Waited a week or two, part came in and was installed, it worked fine. Started our first trip, a 6 week trip, now two weeks late. Microwave worked exactly 1 week and started the same problem. Could not use it for the rest of the trip. Winne said it must be repaired again and I told the dealer I was not doing this again and they finally got Winne to agree to a new one. After another wait and trip to dealership new one came in, was installed and has worked fine since.

My MCD shades did something similar also. I used some upholstery glue on some but it is hard to get straight without puckers. I finally found (I think) that the glue strips did not match, come together, so they never stuck good. I took care to move the aluminum strip up or down a little so I could get the glue strips to match and applied as much pressure as I could to sick them together and they have held fairly well since then. I feel like there was insufficient care taken in assembly to do it correctly as opposed to the glue failing.
larvance
larvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks larvance, good to know it wasn't just me. Since I bought mine used, I skipped trying to get a dealer or Winnie involved and went straight to Whirlpool and MCD. Both have made satisfactory responses. MCD is sending me two new blind assemblies. Whirlpool arranged a repairman visit and he has ordered a new door for the microwave, saying this wasn't the first time he'd done this. He told me that the new door was a slightly different design and should prevent a recurrence. Whirlpool considered this problem a safety issue so I was forwarded to that dept. from cust. serv.

MCD said they had a period of time where a compressor had intermittent pressure problems and that's what caused the glue failure. I took mine down, gave them the numbers off the top then reinstalled them until the replacements arrive. I don't think I could have asked for a better response from either company.

...JB
jbstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Out this past week in the 13 Tour. One morning I found a 5' piece of aluminum about 1" wide and 1/8" thick on the floor beside the recliner. After some head scratching I figured out it was the insert in the bottom of the MCD night shade. Upon examination, this strip (what you usually grab to lower or raise the shade) is held in by a fold in the fabric that is glued shut. Two days later, I found another similarly sized piece of aluminum across the back of the couch. Sure enough, that MCD shade had also come unglued. MCD hasn't yet responded to my email.

Has anyone else had this problem (a quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything like this)? Is there a fix short of taking the thing to McKinney and letting them re-glue it, or better yet put some stitches in there? Can I expect the rest of the shades in the coach to do the same thing ya think? My bride is not happy.

The microwave decided to go nuts too, punching it's own buttons and going deep into the menus but so far not actually turning itself on. Sometimes resetting the breaker will calm it down, sometimes not. I'm leaving it off at night now. I've seen quite a few problems posted on here with those Velos (?) microwaves and know because of the size I can't just run down to Lowes and get a different brand to replace it. Any suggestions on this? I've sent Winnie cust. serv. and email about this too, but like MCD, so far no response.

This is our third trip in the Tour, and otherwise we like it just fine.

Thanks for suggestions,

.......JB
yes my shades lost their metal bottom too. I put some velcro in there and kept rolling. Use your kitchen slide many times. Even when you are at home or out, roll that sucker in and out before your warranty goes out. I am on my second slide. And it needs to be replaced. It lasted about 20 slide outs on a very level camp ground. Jacks cannot level my coach. Camping world has large jack pads made from old tires. They work great. Since i cannot get my coach to level even after many dealer visits, i now roll the coach up on those pads on the low side and coach will level now. Keep two small fans in your entertainment center. Too much heat will cause a HDMI matrix box failure. 3 months to get a new one and TV's will not get satellite will you wait. This is my second Winnebago.

Kevin
kevinelp is offline   Reply With Quote