Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

MB Sprinter Oil Change ?

My 2014 Navion is on a 2013 Sprinter 3500. MB says in the book, oil specifications 228.51, 229.31 or 229.51 . ECS Tuning has a change kit on their site for $126.74 using MB 229.52 Approved Mobil 1 ESP - Low-Ash 5w-30.
As the kit includes the oil, filter, O-rings and oil plug, Is that a good deal ? Is anyone using the Mobil 1 ESP - Low-Ash 5w-30 ? The filter is listed as a Hengst.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...hoCbsoQAvD_BwE

Thanks
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I use that oil in my Colorado Duramax. It can be expensive. Napa occasionally has it on sale. Right now they have it for $12.50 a quart, which is one of the highest prices I've seen, but they've had it for $5.50 a quart a couple of times.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...=semantic&se=1
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you are on Facebook, join the View/Navion Motorhomes group.
They can answer all your questions about doing an oil change on your Sprinter 3500.
rivolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you're planning on keeping that sprinter changing an oil change is the best thing you can do every 5000 miles. Locally I buy the Pennzoil Platinum EURO LX (it covers both 229.31 and 229.52 spec) on sale for about $18 USD for 5 Liters, the whole oil change costs me about $50 including filter on the 642 engine. also Pennzoil has a $10 rebate per 5L jug in Canada until Dec 2020 , I put on a quick drain, making an oil change a 10 minute event.

The OM642 engine can become VERY problematic if you follow the MB maintenance schedule, change oils more frequently and you'll save yourself a pile grief.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
The OM642 engine can become VERY problematic if you follow the MB maintenance schedule, change oils more frequently and you'll save yourself a pile grief.
I don't know what the MB schedule is, but maintenance schedules have become more about selling vehicles than maintaining them. Too many consumers think it's a good thing to not be required to change their oil until after X thousand miles. That promotes sales. Then the vehicles wear out faster, which promotes even more sales.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OM-642..... 229.52 5W30 ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change the oil when the Sprinter tells you to... check your manual. somewhere around 10K, or more, on the oil. It has an oil quality monitor similar to GM cars. That is another reason why you need to only use 229.52 spec. The monitor is calibrated for that specification.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post

Change the oil when the Sprinter tells you to... check your manual. somewhere around 10K, or more, on the oil. It has an oil quality monitor similar to GM cars. .
If it's similar to GM cars then it really is not much more than a time/mileage/trip counter.

Mileage is not a friend of oil. In most cases oil that is between 1,000 and 2,000 miles will put less wear on your engine than oil that is between 6,000 and 6,000 miles, which will put less wear on your engine than oil that is between 9,000 and 10,000 miles. It's not like the oil suddenly becomes bad. It's a gradual process, and the issue is how bad do you want it to get before you do something about it.

If you're going to sell after 50,000 miles it probably doesn't matter. You could probably not even change the oil at all! But if you want to get 200,000 miles . . ..
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the comments, I am reminded of my Uncle who back in the 70's was an avid RVer in Springfield Or once told me, only 2 things count, good tires and good oil !.. To this day I check the tires and the oil before I crank her up. My main concern is the quality of the oil and filter. The Mobil 1 meets the specs and is so easy to find (here in NC) it seems like it would be a good option. Not opposed to other brand recommendations, just want to be consistent once I pick one.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Not opposed to other brand recommendations, just want to be consistent once I pick one.
I've heard good things about that Penzoil Eurospec oil, but I use the more expensive Mobil-1 just because I've been using that brand since it first came out when synthetic oil was basically new as a consumer product.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Vita 24P

Funny how marketing of maintenance free or near maintenance free comes into the mix. There is no such thing when you have two parts that rub against each other. Manufacturers of Cars, Trucks, and MH feel this is a selling point. I feel it is planned failure. Oil products are better and extension of mileage is possible, but not to the points folks think or unknowingly are told. Good maintenance gives longevity. I call it preventative maintenance which I have practiced all my life.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sprinter Oil Changes

With regard to your question (without engaging regarding the oil arguments), I buy my Mobile ESP oil and Bosch filters on Amazon . Buy the fuel filters there as well. Cheapest way I have found to cover the routine maintenance costs. Interval is 10k miles for the oil which is fine especially since the sump holds 12 quarts.

Good luck and try not to get too crazy with all this talk about what is ‘best’. Changing oil every day is ‘best’ but not cost effective. Trust the manufacturer and follow their recommendations.
Jim Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

MB has changed their oil spec and maintenance recommendations more times on the OM642 than I can count on two hands. Their oil and maintenance recommendation is not adequate for this engine to prevent major $$$ out of pocket long term

Here’s a retired MB tech explaining why. very well written and it’s a fun read.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That is an interesting read, thanks, and thanks to all for advise and opinions.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post

Change the oil when the Sprinter tells you to... check your manual. somewhere around 10K, or more, on the oil. It has an oil quality monitor similar to GM cars. That is another reason why you need to only use 229.52 spec. The monitor is calibrated for that specification.
If I waited til 10K miles, for me that might be 5 years or more! Seems like a long time between oil changes. Most of our camping trips aren't far from home...
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I had one of those.

Do exactly what MB says...use exactly the right oil. Use exactly the right filter (Hengst is fine). Do the same thing with your diesel Gen

Replace the fuel filter..exactly when you are supposed to replace.

Those engines are way too temperamental, and way too expensive to do anything else.

Ps NAPA PUTS THE MOBIL 1 OIL ON SALE EVERY OTHER MONTH,, keep some in stock, you will probably have to have them order it in...it isn't called for for much of anything else.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
My 2014 Navion is on a 2013 Sprinter 3500. MB says in the book, oil specifications 228.51, 229.31 or 229.51 . ECS Tuning has a change kit on their site for $126.74 using MB 229.52 Approved Mobil 1 ESP - Low-Ash 5w-30.
As the kit includes the oil, filter, O-rings and oil plug, Is that a good deal ? Is anyone using the Mobil 1 ESP - Low-Ash 5w-30 ? The filter is listed as a Hengst.
I differ slightly to the MBS maintenance schedule - more because of old school practice than anything MBS "guidance" is off.
Like others here, it would take a number of years for me to meet MBS schedule A. My unit is a 2019 built in 2018 on a 2017 chassis. By the time I purchased it the oil had already been sitting in the crankcase for a year. So, techincally I could fall into schedule A by year(s) instead of mileage.

Back to the point; I know that oil is hydroscopic, even synthetic oil. It bothers me the oil sits in the engine through 4 or more seasons and it likely has some water accumulation. I also realize the water burns out when the engine is running, however, the acids that develop do not.
So I made a plan to get the OEM oil changed by 3000 miles. In my old school ways this would be draining the break-in oil.
Anyway, I purchased the Mobil1 ESP (from Summit Racing) and bought a couple extra quarts for topping off - just in case.
I appreciate MBS longevity between oil changes but my plan from this point on is at 1/2 point I change and at schedule point I take it to MBS for changing and the other required scheduled maintenance.

Bobby
Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
MB has changed their oil spec and maintenance recommendations more times on the OM642 than I can count on two hands. Their oil and maintenance recommendation is not adequate for this engine to prevent major $$$ out of pocket long term

Here’s a retired MB tech explaining why. very well written and it’s a fun read.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
StephensService is a discredited source. Advise caution if you buy into his advice. Plus....it is years old. Malarkey to be kind.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I had one of those.

Do exactly what MB says...use exactly the right oil. Use exactly the right filter (Hengst is fine). Do the same thing with your diesel Gen

Replace the fuel filter..exactly when you are supposed to replace.

Those engines are way too temperamental, and way too expensive to do anything else.

Ps NAPA PUTS THE MOBIL 1 OIL ON SALE EVERY OTHER MONTH,, keep some in stock, you will probably have to have them order it in...it isn't called for for much of anything else.
Good advice!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the same oil the Colorado Duramax takes. And I hope you're right on the every other month sale schedule. I know I've seen it on sale at Napa twice in the past six months.

FWIW, GM specified an entirely different oil for the new 3.0 Duramax diesels--Dexos-D. Last time I checked there were only two companies offering that specification.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Today I removed 10 posts from this thread. Posts that had some unnecessary bickering between two members.

I should not need to remind people to be civil toward other members. Never forget, your opinions are not facts and other members opinions may differ from yours, but yours are not “right” and others “wrong”.

People that cannot disagree without argument will find themselves removed from our ranks.