Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I just noticed Winnebago now has a neat little presentation on the new Maxumm chassis up on their web site here. It clearly shows the lowered center rail and has good pictures showing the pass-through basement storage.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just noticed Winnebago now has a neat little presentation on the new Maxumm chassis up on their web site here. It clearly shows the lowered center rail and has good pictures showing the pass-through basement storage.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the link. It certainly does look like an improved design. One of the things I like least about my existing DP and the current model Vectra's/Horizon's we've seen is the lack of any real pass-thru storage...made worse by Winne's store-more slides. This seems to address that nicely.

I still think the lack of a side radiator is a shortcoming.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We've been considering a rig on the new Maxuum chassis for some time now. I'm really intrigued by the chassis and would really like to see a rig produced on it to investigate it's features. The abscence of the side radiator to me does mean cleaning issues that I've become accustomed to in my current rear radiator design, but I'm wondering if rerouting of the crankcase vent combined with a fan clutch reduces the about of radiator cleaning required.

Needing more space inside the rig as well as the additional storeage underneath the chassis is what has attracted us to the rig.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Here's a reversible fan blade for those diesel pusher radiator, charge air, transmission, and air conditioner packs. You can reverse the blade and suck the simple green in for you semi annual radiator cleaning.

http://www.huberfan.com/
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

All the rear radiator rigs on Freightliner chassis have come with a slobber tube extension since 2006. It extends to well behind the radiator and rock guard. So that eliminates the oil mist on the radiator problem which generally Cummins doens't have like CAT did. However, regular road dust and grime can still accumulate. The Freighliner maintenance manuals list cleaning the radiator (side or rear) annually.

I do it myself every spring and I don't think its a big deal.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Here's a reversible fan blade for those diesel pusher radiator, charge air, transmission, and air conditioner packs. You can reverse the blade and suck the simple green in for you semi annual radiator cleaning.[/URL] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us in the Freightliner Chassis Owners Club have been investigating replacements/upgrades for the fix cooling fans we have. Reversable, pneumatically controlled fans is one of options we have looked at. What the vendor (www.flexxaire.com) found is the design of the fans themselves does not lend itself to on-highway engine applications for rear radiators. Specifically, at the ratio the fan hub spins relative to the crank pully, someething like 3:1, then above 2000rpm engine speed the ends of the fan blades spin at about 24,000fpm which exceeds their design limit of 20,000fpm.

Bottom line, this technology does not appears to have an application for RV's.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
I just noticed Winnebago now has a neat little presentation on the new Maxumm chassis up on their web site here. It clearly shows the lowered center rail and has good pictures showing the pass-through basement storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But I just got my vacuum leak fixed....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I find this quite interesting, since my UA has the "Utilibay" chassis. My understanding is that The front and rear sections of my chassis was supplied by Frieghtliner and the middle was made by Winnie.

My bays are full height, with no frame rail interference, but I did/do question the rigidity of the chassis compared to a full formed rail, I see no signs of stress, other than the sidewall separation problem that many other coaches had, including those with the XC and Evolution chassis.

I know that winnie also experimented with the Spartans Chassis the same way. I must say one of my purchase decision factors had to do with that this unit had a freightliner chassis. Who is making the Maxum? Why did Winnie step away from the Utilibay design, then now back to a similar "Lowered Rail" design?

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who is making the Maxum? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Maxxum is a Freightliner chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

For what it's worth here are some pics of the basement storage you get with the Maxum chassis.