Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Massive Vibration

I had a massive vibration that cleared after short period of time. I pulled over, inspected the tires, crawled around underneath and found no problems. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR AS A CAUSE OF THIS VIBRATION?

At the time of the vibration, I was traveling at 55 mph on new pavement on the beltway around D.C. The vibration cleared prior to stopping for inspection. I continued home, about 500 miles, and the problem never reoccurred. My Adventurer is on a W24 chassis.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It might have been a brake caliper sticking. You might want to check the rotors to see if one of them may have overheated. If that is the case it will be burned a bluish color.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If the vibration was felt through the steering wheel, then I'd be looking at frontend components. If felt in the seat of my pants, I'd be looking at driveline, u joints etc.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Massive Vibration

I have experienced the vibration you describe on a V10 Ford. The vibration was so bad that I lost a wheel cover over it. Had the tires balanced to no avail. Took it to the Ford Dealer and took the service advisor for a ride on a newly paved road, he agreed. The young service tech knew exactly what it was and located the problem. It was #5 coil that was not firing. Problem solved. Don't know if you have a similar designed engine with a coil per cylinder or not.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would suspect a rock or some other piece of debris was stuck between the duals. That would throw the tire balance way out. After a short time momentum probably tossed the debris and the balance was back to normal. Just getting mud packed inside the rim will do the same thing until the mud is washed out.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Maybe just a rough patch of pavement......
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Tie Rod ends can do it too, IN fact a full front end inspection by a qualified professional might be the order of the day.

I have seen several front end components cause that kind of issue, Even a worn bushing can do it (Did on one car I had) fixed with a rubber washer cut from a flat tire if you can believe that. (I can, I did the cutting).
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you were towing your GMC at the time, you could have had one of the arms of your towbar bind up for a short time causing your GMC to track sideways for a short distance. I used to have that problem towing my drag race car on all fours back in the '60s. The car's front wheels wander back and forth if things aren't hitched up really clean and when one side binds up the car's tires skip instead of roll along. It's like having the alignment toed out too far. Check the wear of the front tires on your GMC to see if they show a wear pattern or galling on the inside treads of one tire and possibly the outside treads of the other.

If you have the vibration again, flip on your rear camera and observe your GMC to see if its erratic in its track.

Secondly, perhaps your GMC brakes were activating and not releasing properly... watch for your GMC tires to smoke. Different setup but I tow my dinghy on a trailer... so we watch our rear camera often because I once had a trailer brake almost fully lock up on me, which caused that trailer tire to suddenly develop a flat spot but that vibration stayed with me until I replaced the tire a short time later.
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration