Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Manual extension of slides?

Hi, The motor on our HWH leveling jacks and room slide system failed today when we were ready to leave on a trip. The slides are in.

Has anyone manually extended the slides? I think I could open the solenoid valves manually and push the slide open. The bedroom slide is the one that is most needed since it's hard to get into the closet with the slide in. It moves straight in and out so would be fairly easy to move. The living room slide is not needed a much.

It will take a day of two to fix the motor. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I will be watching thread, i have same issue with my 2005 38J. MH in storage now but i have new pump assy on hand to replace after i study and learn more with a few days off in a row.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The bedroom slide is light and apparently can be opened and closed by hand although it is a bit hard to do since it is high and your leverage is wrong. It might take two people to do. I would not try the larger front slides except in an emergency. They are much heavier and cannot be moved by hand. There are bolts fore and aft that can be screwed in and out to move the slides but beware! The nuts that the slide bolts screw into are nylon and can strip. Ask me how I know this. :(
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your reply Doug. I don't need the front slide out as badly as the bedroom slide. I'll try to open it tomorrow since it will take a while to replace the motor.
I have no experience cranking the front slide but I bet it's not fun.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We tried two times to extend the bedroom slide by hand, the last time with three guys pushing.
Scot Allen the local mobil RV repair guy replaced the motor and now everything works just fine.
I talked to a service guy at HWH on the phone, he memtioned that some sysems have a locking valve that requires 1000 psi hydraulic pressure to unlock before the slide will open. Kind of a travel lock.
Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

How long did take for mobile repair to replace motor? Did you have to replace entire pump & motor or just the motor? I have to replace complete assembly, they don't make the same motor and couldn't have the old motor repaired.
Thanks Ralph
Old 12-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
Hi, The motor on our HWH leveling jacks and room slide system failed today when we were ready to leave on a trip. The slides are in.

Has anyone manually extended the slides? I think I could open the solenoid valves manually and push the slide open. The bedroom slide is the one that is most needed since it's hard to get into the closet with the slide in. It moves straight in and out so would be fairly easy to move. The living room slide is not needed a much.

It will take a day of two to fix the motor. Thanks for your help.
You could have tried EXTENZE
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The instructions for my Breeze says to disconnect the electrical plug before hand cranking in or out. I guess the motor can turn into a generator and possibly fry some electrical components.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual