Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Got my first class A,love it but gosh I don't want to work full time keeping it in 1st class condition. Nor can I do all the work myself. Must take it to Freightliner for Frghtlinr/Cat/Allison work. I'm the only non-18 wheeler there. They help me but they don't want me there. Got overcharged last time because they could. Two questions: 1) do you all work full time keeping it up? 2) where in Dallas/FTW area do you get eng/tran work done under warranty other than Freightliner? ,Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Got my first class A,love it but gosh I don't want to work full time keeping it in 1st class condition. Nor can I do all the work myself. Must take it to Freightliner for Frghtlinr/Cat/Allison work. I'm the only non-18 wheeler there. They help me but they don't want me there. Got overcharged last time because they could. Two questions: 1) do you all work full time keeping it up? 2) where in Dallas/FTW area do you get eng/tran work done under warranty other than Freightliner? ,Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You might want to check and see if there is a Cummins Coach Care center in your area. They will work on CAT or Cummins and have special expertise in working on motorhomes.

Oil and filter changes are not hard to do...you do have to be able to capture gallons, not quarts, of oil for disposal/recycling. Chassis lube is a bit more of a challenge but many of us do it.

If your travels ever take you near Gaffney, SC (like a trip to Myrtle Beach, etc.), Freightliner has a wonderful factory service center specifically designed to service RV's. We are headed there later in the week for some service items I prefer not to do.

In most areas, there are independent truck centers that may be willing to do RV's. CAT has some CAT-RV service centers.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You have discovered one of the realities of owning an RV, especially one that needs to be serviced by a heavy vehicle shop. As a rule, all techs run the other way when they see a motorhome pull into the compound.

We have found the best bet is to use a Freightliner Oasis dealer. Even then, this is no guarantee you will be treated in a proper/appropriate manner, but at least it improves the odds.

You have one one FTL oasis dealer in the DFW area. I'd give them a shot at your service. Since you have a career to deal with, you don't have the luxury to travel wherever you can get the best service. We live in the Hill Country, but when it is time for chassis service, we will head to Freightliner in Phoenix.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Bill, I have had good luck taking my coach to the appropriate dealer for specific service. For example, I have had good luck at my local CAT dealer for PM work (oil change, fuel filters, chassis lube), and we also have a good Allison dealer in my area, who did my 5K filter change.

I recognize it's 2 trips, not one, but I also know I'm getting good service on the specific component parts.

I too had troubles with the prior FL dealer in my area, not wanting to work on motorhomes. They so much as told me so.... Luckily, they went out of business and the new FL dealer is very easy to work with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used this dealer for service (3 years ago) and they did a good job. There were other MoHos waiting for service. The techs seemed to be good people and they were prompt.

Nick
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'm with John regarding the use of Oasis shops. So far I've used them in Sacramento and Phoenix (Toleson) and have been very pleased. I've avoided the stigma of coach vs 18 wheeler but everything is still pretty expensive. Just cost me $800 for the IM/M2 service and nothing was wrong with the coach! Part of the price of admission I guess.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

thanks for advice, i don't know about ftw oasis? took there friday, could not write up ticket at that time, asked me to call back monday i did, too busy, couldn't talk, said would call back, didn't, i called back, have now been on hold for 20+ mins. i may trade mr mh in on airline tickets. just kidding.