Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Brave that's on the Workhorse W20 chassis. The rig has been a pleasure to own but I have had a chronic problem with a creaking/squeaking noise in the driver-side door (whenever the rig hits rough pavement or bumps). The noise seems to eminate somewhere along the horizontal aluminum member that runs just above the power window. I am able to eliminate the noise if I press firmly on the left side of this part of the door. I've tried spraying silicone everywhere but to no avail. The noise seems to be caused by the flexing that occurs when the rig hits s bump but I can't figure out how to stop it. The noise has become so loud that I would even consider getting a new door if it helped. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Jack
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Brave that's on the Workhorse W20 chassis. The rig has been a pleasure to own but I have had a chronic problem with a creaking/squeaking noise in the driver-side door (whenever the rig hits rough pavement or bumps). The noise seems to eminate somewhere along the horizontal aluminum member that runs just above the power window. I am able to eliminate the noise if I press firmly on the left side of this part of the door. I've tried spraying silicone everywhere but to no avail. The noise seems to be caused by the flexing that occurs when the rig hits s bump but I can't figure out how to stop it. The noise has become so loud that I would even consider getting a new door if it helped. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Jack
Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar noise that I spent hours trying to isolate. For a while, it looked like it was in the same area you are talking about.

Finally found it one day when cleaning the driver's mirror. The screw holding the mirror head to the mounting plate was not tight, and it was making a terrible squeak whenever the coach hit a bump. About a half turn has taken care of it for some time now.

Maybe you will be lucky and it will be something as simple as mine!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jack M, I haven't had the issue on my 34D. However I can say that at various campsites, depending on coach leveling, I've noticed the drivers door may not open or close as easily. I think that may be a function of the body sidewalls and frame 'twist'. -But not a big deal to me. I might suggest you get a dollar bill and simulate the "refidgerator door seal test" on your drivers door. Stick the bill half-in and half-out of the door, close the door, then pull the bill out while feeling for seal snugness or resistance. Repeat this technique in several suspect areas and you just might find a spot that is very tight. Perhaps you're getting metal-to-metal contact instead of metal to rubber?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try and hope I come up with something. My wife is afraid that I'm going to steal a door from someone elses rig. Since the Brave is now a discontinued model, I'll have to move quickly...

Jack
Old 11-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

JackM,
It's most likely the door strike. There's been a great deal of talk about this. Winnebago sells a Teflon coated striker you can buy or if you're lucky, it can be replaced under warrantee. In any case, I've simply coated the striker (where the door catch latches on the striker) with a good grease. It doesn't take very much, just a thin layer. When it wears off simply wipe it clean and reapply another thin layer of grease. That works for several weeks. Some folks have wrapped the strike with duct tape. Eventually, the tape, grease and even the Teflon has worn out and you're back to ground zero.
Hope this helps,
Tagalong
Old 11-19-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had a few squeaks I thought were coming from my door, but after I tried everything I could think of doing I found out it was actually coming from the cabinet over the drivers door where it fastens to the wall area. You might look at that area while your checking.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Look at the metal edge both on the door and the frame for warn spots in the finish to see if it is metal to metal contact.. I just can't think you would be getting that much noise from the rubber weather strip alone. If you can't find any places where the door is rubbing on the door frame then it is most likely the striker/latch unit.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My wife and I are going to be hitting the road later this week. We're full-timing nomads that spend our winters wandering around the southwest. I will look at your suggestions and get back to you next week when I am able to re-gain access to the Internet. Once again, thank you all for your help. Have a good holiday.

Jack
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Take a phillips screwdriver and go over all the screws on the driver's side window frame. You'd be surprised at how loose they are. I go over them several times a year and have been able to tighten them at least 1/2 turn. It has pretty much eliminated the squeeks in my door area.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote