Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Luxor Mystery switch

Ok folks I just bought a 1997 Luxor and I have 2 questions I need to get answered. First off next to the passenger seat there are 2 switches. The first one turns on a reading light. The second one is a rocker switch that is momentary in 2 directions. When you switch it you can hear a solenoid click in the dash but nothing happens.

The other question is the awning. I hate to say this but I have no idea how it works. It’s an A&E elite 10000. I know how to work a regular awning but this one seems strange. I will take some pictures and add them shortly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
Mike1jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the OM (I think) for your coach.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...97/97Luxor.pdf
The rocker switch with the solenoid open/close noise might be described in it. Possibly on page 2-15?
Might be a battery boost switch, or something to do with battery enable/disable, although those are usually near the side door entrance.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Looking for info at WBGO. First, I don't find that 1997 was a year for the Luxor model. Just 1996.

Next, I can't find any wiring diagrams for next to the Passenger seat. But plenty for the dashboard.

Usually a momentary switch like that would be either an AUX Battery Cutoff, an AUX Battery combiner (house+chassis) or a Generator Start. Looking at the wiring diagram for the '96 Luxor those all exists, but they are all on the dashboard. Not next to the passenger seat. In fact, there is no wiring diagram for anything next to that seat.

As for the Awning... do you have an Operator's Manual? If so, it should be in there. There are not OMs on the WBGO website older than 2010.

Here's a dashboard wiring diagram and the call outs list all the functions of each button:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 12.24.38 PM.png
Views:	211
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	173316  
Old 04-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Team

It's just occurred to me... If that momentary switch is in a doorway stepwell next to the Passenger seat then I'd guess it's the battery disconnect. Those are momentary, they operate a solenoid, and they disconnect the house and or chassis battery for putting the RV in storage.

They like to put battery disconnects where they can be easily reached on your way into and out of the coach from the stairs.

UPDATE: Probably not. I looked at 1996 Luxors online and the ones I saw all have mid-doors, not front doors. Sorry. I did find a 1998 Luxor, but for some reason WBGO doesn't list it on the Knowledge base after 1996.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Awning. Seems it's unusual. Here's an old thread on another forum.

Most of the info is broken links. But it's a start:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index...d/28565588.cfm

Here's some more info:

https://www.hunker.com/13426109/how-...n-an-ae-awning

Here's a video for the A&E 9000 I don't know if it's different for the 10000:

https://youtu.be/ff8zkv-qg_o?t=170
Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone. I am going to try and turn on the house batteries and use the switch to turn them off. It sounds like that’s what it could be. But it does not turn the batteries on so I have no idea. As stated above I can’t find any info on the 1997 Luxor either. But I know they made them up to 1998. The headlights are out of a ford contour. Lol.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Power visor switch? They are momentary up/down.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

What is a power visor? Lol it could be.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Power sunshade. Lots of Winnebago products have them. My Adventurer has two switches on the passenger side, map light, and visor. Wouldn't be such a stretch to find that the Luxor was the same. (I have a switch on the driver's side for the passenger shade too, I could see where you'd never use the passenger side switch.)

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...martvisor.html

Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ah ha!

Power lock switch

Do the locks work from the driver's side switch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luxor.PNG
Views:	147
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	173328  

Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
Site Team

Both are really good possibilities. I noticed the dash electric call outs said something about power locks. And a power sunshade is another good option, but would it have a solenoid? Mine don’t. Also the passenger doesn’t have this option on my coach, just the driver.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

New to you RV, little info on what things do and no wiring available? This is going to require a really steady hand to sort out several potential problems!
By that I mean it will require a methodical, steady ( hard headed?) approach to sort out things if you find something that doesn't work.
I find new stuff to be just a maze if I try to work it all at once, so I start at things that are really obvious, like the batteries, get that in shape so that I know there is power available and then gradually work my way along toward one single item which doesn't work.
What this lets me do is get familiar with some of the things like the battery and knowing there is power there before asking if a solenoid controlling something is good, as it may be good but no power to let it work.
Divide and conquer to avoid walking into a hornets nest of mind boggling problems!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It’s a strange deal. I have pretty much everything else electrical wise anyway figured out. I noticed the switch plate by the stairs is labeled. But this switch panel next to the cup holder is not. There is a let’s call it a map light that runs off the on off switch. The other switch just activates a solenoid. I am sure it does something. I need to look for the power visor and see if it has one.

The funny part about this motorhome is how outdated the components are. Meaning that I know it’s an older motorhome but it’s surprising how fast this tech has come since this stuff was new.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1jag View Post
The funny part about this motorhome is how outdated the components are. Meaning that I know it’s an older motorhome but it’s surprising how fast this tech has come since this stuff was new.
It's from the last century. You expected otherwise?
Old 04-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Yes, things do seem to move fast but on the other hand, some of the folks born the same year as your RV, may now be finishing college?
While we are not looking, life happens!
Old 04-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's from the last century. You expected otherwise?

No not really.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Two switches

Is the stepwell cover working?
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

If you are still sorting this problem? I would think the power visor question might be something I would call power curtains and you might be able to just give a quick look for curtains/blinds which raise/lower by switch. On another thought, Do you know where the switch for the solenoid which some call the "battery boost" switch is located? This would be one that you might not be able to pick up anything happens as it is used to connect the two battery strings together, just in case the start battery will not get the engine running, you can use the power in both strings while you hold the switch. Is that possibly the solenoid you mention hearing?
If still thinking it over---good luck as there certainly are lots of new questions when we get a different RV. Kind of like a new LEGO set without full directions?
Old 04-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvw613 View Post
Is the stepwell cover working?
So the step cover is not working. It sounds like there is an air leak at the solenoid bank up front. But after saying that I know the air pressure regular is turned all the way down. So this might be the switch for that? I am not really sure how it works but it sounds plausible.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
If you are still sorting this problem? I would think the power visor question might be something I would call power curtains and you might be able to just give a quick look for curtains/blinds which raise/lower by switch. On another thought, Do you know where the switch for the solenoid which some call the "battery boost" switch is located? This would be one that you might not be able to pick up anything happens as it is used to connect the two battery strings together, just in case the start battery will not get the engine running, you can use the power in both strings while you hold the switch. Is that possibly the solenoid you mention hearing?
If still thinking it over---good luck as there certainly are lots of new questions when we get a different RV. Kind of like a new LEGO set without full directions?
The switch you are referring to is on the dash just left of the speedo. But thank you for the idea. I don’t know why it was so hard to just label the switch. It would make things so much easier.

Tags
switch