Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good work and doesn't Craftsman still have a lifetime guarantee?

Unfortunately Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black and Decker however they are still honoring the lifetime warranty on the legacy tools which is supposed to be honored at their retailers such as Lowes and Ace Hardware with no receipt required. I'm not a big fan of the monopolies buying up and cheapening the competition or restacking the quality levels and worse yet stopping the manufacturing of the consumable parts for the lifetime legacy tools forcing you to upgrade to the newer and most times inferior designs. Porter Cable was much better than DeWalt for decades until it was acquired by Stanley Black and Decker who now owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bostitch, Craftsman, Irwin, Lenox, MAC, Proto, etc, etc along with of course Stanley and Black & Decker. I was head of maintenance for several factories and the Stanley Black & Decker takeovers caused us quite a bit of pain as they eliminated tools that would last for years in multiple shift production situations. Even Milwaukee is now owned by a group in Hong Kong (China) that also owns Ryobi and Homelite plus now manufactures Rigid.

To be fair Craftsman while nice never was a vastly superior tool though and would shatter in truly heavy duty use that a Williams Industrial would take 24/7. You never really knew who made your Craftsman tools as they subbed out the manufacturing to many different companies so there was some variability in quality depending on who won the bid and made the batch you bought from. I broke a lot of Craftsman tools over the years until I picked up a used set of Williams for the really heavy jobs even though its only a 1/2 inch drive and appears to be more lightly built which is due to the Williams being made of a much higher grade of steel.

Note that even Pittsburgh Tools from Harbor Freight also carry a no receipt and no questions asked lifetime warranty.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #22
unclescratch

BobC : Don't hold your breadth waiting on that 'hub oil' video. I have grown more accustomed to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. My days of swapping engines and trannies are long gone too.

Craftsman tools, I visited the 'Hometown Sears' in Kingman, AZ today. Nope, don't have that extension in stock. Nope, can't order it. Check back Thursday afternoon when we get whatever they ship us randomly. Or go to Lowes in Bullhead City. Another part of the 'Good Ole USA' gone to hades.

Williams tools. Yah, I know their ratchets have a finer tooth count that move less also, good stuff, I have some. But now since these younger folks don't do as much of what we all used to do, I have boxes of extra tools that I don't need and seem to have little value !

Still have few regrets, retirement (and God) have blessed us well !
Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #23
unclescratch

Did not look at the 'real' lug nuts closely. Can't answer about the stamping of torque specs.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I think we're safe by going with the Workhorse guide @ 475 ft lbs since they're 33mm nuts on 22mm studs.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

BobC,

He has the same lug nuts that I have.

Expand the picture of the lug nuts. Look at the top two nuts. You will see the torque numbers.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

I see the numbers but can't read them, they pixelate too much as I enlarge the photo. I assume there's a 475 somewhere. I'll take your word for it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
BobC : Don't hold your breadth waiting on that 'hub oil' video. I have grown more accustomed to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. My days of swapping engines and trannies are long gone too.

Craftsman tools, I visited the 'Hometown Sears' in Kingman, AZ today. Nope, don't have that extension in stock. Nope, can't order it. Check back Thursday afternoon when we get whatever they ship us randomly. Or go to Lowes in Bullhead City. Another part of the 'Good Ole USA' gone to hades.

Williams tools. Yah, I know their ratchets have a finer tooth count that move less also, good stuff, I have some. But now since these younger folks don't do as much of what we all used to do, I have boxes of extra tools that I don't need and seem to have little value !

Still have few regrets, retirement (and God) have blessed us well !

It might be time to check if Home Depot will still give you a free replacement Husky extension in exchange for the broken Craftsman. Its been a while since I've done that however since there are no longer any Sears stores close enough to make it worth the trip that is what I had started doing when a Craftsman hand tool broke.

For those looking for a handy set to carry in the motor home this Lifetime Pittsburgh set when its on sale for around $39 isn't a bad deal. Yes there are better however often when I have to grab a box and run this has most of what I'm going to need to get the light jobs done.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #28
unclescratch

Thanks for the tip, Bob !