Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #1

Since we just filled the propane tank, I know it is full. However, on the control panel when I push the button, the light shows "red" that the propane is empty. I am hoping this is an easy fix but I can't find any posts that address this problem. The other sensors, black, gray, and fresh water all work okay. It is just the propane sensor that is not reading correctly. Any suggestions?
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #2

Since we just filled the propane tank, I know it is full. However, on the control panel when I push the button, the light shows "red" that the propane is empty. I am hoping this is an easy fix but I can't find any posts that address this problem. The other sensors, black, gray, and fresh water all work okay. It is just the propane sensor that is not reading correctly. Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi glenda1908,
Check the gauge on the tank, there should be two wires attached. Could be that one has come off. I can't remember if an open or short in this circuit gives a reading of empty but I seem to remember that the sender has a higher resistance when the tank is empty so and open or disconnected wire would cause an empty reading.

Just checked the schematic and that should be correct, an open in the sensing circuit would cause an empty reading.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same thing happen to mine after having the tank replaced. Check the gauge on the tank itself. If it also reads empty, the float in the tank has broken. If your wires are connected, but the tank gauge reads full, your wires my be shorted somewhere else. The gauge actually runs by a magnet that moves the needle.
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the trouble shooting tips. If the tank does show empty and the float in the tank is broken, do we have to have the tank replaced? I am hoping for a loose wire ! That I can fix. Looking forward to our retirement too !!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Worst case contact your Winnie Dealer.
Replacement float/gages are available according to the Winnie Parts and Accessories book.
The 90ohm add on is 040440-02-000
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

On mine, they didn't replace the tank, just pulled out the old float and replaced with a new one. It's important when a tank is completely empty to begin the refill process slowly, as the sudden influx of liquid is what I believe broke the float on mine.

Although it is probably a job you could do yourself, the hard part would be evacuating all the propane out of the tank. Propane is VERY volatile, and it is ESSENTIAL to get all the propane evacuated before removing the float. Mine was done under warranty, and I'm sure it's also necessary to position the float in the correct position.

Another check you can do is to pop the gauge off the tank. Take a small magnet and run it around the back of the gauge. That will move the gauge, and your inside panel should read the same as the gauge. There are no electrical connections from the float to the gauge. It's a small magnet that moves the indicator.

Good luck!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #8

Okay, now this is weird. I guess our LP system "healed" itself ! Now the sensor lights in the coach show accurately. Must be a loose connection somewhere in the system. We are going to have it looked at next week anyway. They started showing full after a trip over a bumpy road. That's why I'm guessing whatever was loose might have moved enough to make the connection. So when all else fails, take a ride on a "bumpy" road !