Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

You're gonna love this one.....

While driving down Rt 64 in Western North Carolina, my power steering went out. We were between Cashiers and Brevard --- downhill switchback 2-lane road (and I do mean switchbacks!).

I fought it down the mountain, as there was no place to stop. Made it thru Brevard and stopped before I-26 south of Asheville.

Got towed to the Freightliner dealer in Asheville, and after sitting 2 days in their lot, we were on our way again with a brand new shiny power steering pump.

I don't recommend this way of finding out your power steering pump failed......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You're gonna love this one.....

While driving down Rt 64 in Western North Carolina, my power steering went out. We were between Cashiers and Brevard --- downhill switchback 2-lane road (and I do mean switchbacks!).

I fought it down the mountain, as there was no place to stop. Made it thru Brevard and stopped before I-26 south of Asheville.

Got towed to the Freightliner dealer in Asheville, and after sitting 2 days in their lot, we were on our way again with a brand new shiny power steering pump.

I don't recommend this way of finding out your power steering pump failed......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow -

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wow again!
That had to be hair raising to say the least. I've lost engine and all power a couple of times on a Workhorse gasser, that was scary enough without any downhill. Glad that you at least had brakes and were able to fight it all the way. I can't imagine what was going through your mind, it had to be tight cheeks time.
Best regards....
Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">While driving down Rt 64 in Western North Carolina, my power steering went out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't beleive you held it on that kind of road. You must have had some workout.

I always wondered how bad it would be to loose the power assist on the steering of these coaches.

It must be undoable if you have one of these Safe-T-Steer or simular unit mounted on a coach, other than the Howard Center Steer unit. These units add another 250lbs of resistance.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Good job Don, do you need new seat covers? Glad nothing bad happened. I assume this was covered by freightliners warranty, steering pump and tow?

Hope all is well,
Jim and Susan

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Pusherman, I just got my motorhome back from freightliner today with a complaint about noisey power steering. They told me that they could not find anything wrong.(normal answer). The thing that gets me is that they charged me $120.00. They say that if they don't fix anything they can't bill warrenty. I find this hard to believe as I barely have 1000 miles on the coach. Needless to say I will be on the phone tomorrow with Winnebago and Freightliner. Sorry to here about your problems. Glad everything turned out O.K.

Steve
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, I sure got a workout steering the coach around those switchbacks. Gotta tell you I was moving at only 5-10 mph in the turns, and maybe 30 mph in the straights (it was quite windy that day). I had an 18 wheeler behind me the whole way, and he must have understood that I was having troubles, as he gave me plenty of room.

Excellent point on some of those steering aids!

The towing and repairs were covered under warranty. I just love spending 2 days/nights in the coach in a Freightliner dealer area!!

In the Freightliner thread it seems there are a few failed power steering pumps happening.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don:

I've driven that road in a car....can't imaging doing it in my Journey with no power steering!!!

Do you mean to tell us that the folks at Freightliner didn't bring you hot coffee every morning??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

No, but the folks from Gaffney seemed to 'speed up' my priority at the dealer getting the coach repaired. Got in at 8am the day after I got towed in. Unfortunately they needed to order the pump from Atlanta; was in by 9am the next day.

They sure were nice to me though...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I called Freightliner today and spoke to a warrenty rep named John about my noisey power steering problem. He told me that TRW had them install a power steering fluid filter on the return line just below the resivour on a certain amount of newer coaches. According to him this has been a source of problems for them. He recommended that I go back to Freightliner and have them remove this filter under warrenty and install a straight line barbed fitting which will eliminate the filter and any back pressure that it may create. He said that he would then return my $120.00 that they charged me for their original diagnosis. In my mind this may be a cause for premature power steering pump failure. I did ask him about pump failures but he wouldn't say yes or no.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

sheesh, how fast were you going? I've had a car stall on me and lose power steering and brakes but never the MH thank God.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Luckily I was in the middle of one of those switchback turns when it completely went out, and hit the brakes. I was only going about 3-5mph after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]